Forum Stats
12353 Members
65 Forums
73354 Topics
990676 Posts
33 posts in the last 24hrs
Max Online: 7831 @ 8th Apr 2013 4:18pm
Who's Online - Click Me
69 registered (abermattwirral, 12 invisible), 1313 Guests and 258 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Social Media : Follow Us

(Views 7days)This Weeks Most Read
Captain Toni's text message annoyances 483
Tam O'Shanter Urban Farm Fun Day 6th August 407
Tunnel Flyovers Part 1 405
Flood and storm warning 307
Granny Pods 306
Who is number 13? 294
Broken lawnmower 269
Need uPVC window removing and putting back. 218
Norman Thelwell -Artist 192
Tree slice cutting 186
New General Forums
Acid attacks plague London, Whats really going on
by snowhite
Yesterday at 11:47 AM
Granny Pods
by granny
17th Jul 2017 7:53pm
WASPI website, pension complaints templates 50's
by Longnails
15th Jul 2017 3:48pm
Hoylake Golf Resort
by Excoriator
6th Jul 2017 5:52pm
New Wirral History
Norman Thelwell -Artist
by granny
18th Jul 2017 10:19am
Tunnel Flyovers Part 1
by Norton
15th Jul 2017 5:40pm
Where was St Catherine/Catharine Street Higher Tra
by derekdwc
11th Jul 2017 10:19pm
QE2 Visit September 1995
by Norton
10th Jul 2017 10:33pm
Wilfred Owen
by Fireblade
7th Jul 2017 8:58pm
Forum Tips
Photo Gallery Forums
Disney Magic
Umbrellas Liverpool
Topic Replies
Looking for Joyce Randles and family
by Gibbo
Nigel and Jacob
by granny
11:54 AM
Clutch Problem
by Gibbo
09:53 AM
Granny Pods
by venice
01:32 AM
Police Cars South Wirral Direction
by fish5133
11:12 PM
Pensions
by diggingdeeper
10:19 PM
High end gaming pc
by brady
09:18 PM
Canadian Ice Cream
by Moonstar
09:08 PM
Norman Thelwell -Artist
by diggingdeeper
06:57 PM
July
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Recent Posts : What's On ?
Tam O'Shanter Urban Farm Fun Day 6th August
by RUDEBOX
18th Jul 2017 9:31pm
charity fundraiser
by Dilly
16th Jul 2017 6:47pm
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#651684 - 13th Jan 2012 7:56pm Camping Memories,good and bad.
Bezzymate Offline
Forum Veteran

Loc: New New Brighton
Hi, we have just been in the 'Chat Room' talking about caravans and camping. Thought that it would be good to hear Wiki peeps experiences and recommended sites.

Google Ads
#651686 - 13th Jan 2012 8:00pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: Bezzymate]
RUDEBOX Offline

Wiki Master

Loc: Here.
What happened at Gywrch stays at Gywrch wink raftl

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! Jer-e-my Cor-byn

#651689 - 13th Jan 2012 8:05pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: RUDEBOX]
Bezzymate Offline
Forum Veteran

Aww, go on Rude spill!
Originally Posted By: RUDEBOX

#651690 - 13th Jan 2012 8:07pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: Bezzymate]
julie253 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: wallasey
We went to Lady Heyes site in Frodsham last year - it was brill. The shower block is great - so nice and warm and clean. It also has a restaurant and shops on site and also its own brewery!! the record shop was good and I spent ages looking through the oldies. The antique shops were brill - we were in there for hours looking at stuff and had a laugh. There is a candle shop which is owned and run by Bob Carolgees - nice bloke. The pitches are all a generous size and reasonably priced. Defo going back there this year!!!!

#651692 - 13th Jan 2012 8:09pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: RUDEBOX]
TRANCENTRAL Offline

Green Meanie
Wiki Master

Loc: Underground
Originally Posted By: RUDEBOX
lol Remember it well grin

#651693 - 13th Jan 2012 8:11pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: julie253]
Bezzymate Offline
Forum Veteran

Is the brewery on the 'site' Julie? Sounds a great place and only down the road.
Originally Posted By: julie253
We went to Lady Heyes site in Frodsham last year - it was brill. The shower block is great - so nice and warm and clean. It also has a restaurant and shops on site and also its own brewery!! the record shop was good and I spent ages looking through the oldies. The antique shops were brill - we were in there for hours looking at stuff and had a laugh. There is a candle shop which is owned and run by Bob Carolgees - nice bloke. The pitches are all a generous size and reasonably priced. Defo going back there this year!!!!

#651697 - 13th Jan 2012 8:14pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: Bezzymate]
Snodvan Offline

Forum Addict

Loc: Wallasey Village
All my camping "memories" are good - because it was FAMILY together.

We have not been camping for a couple of years with other family committments but we intend to make sure we go this year. With the family grown up/ away it will just be the Mrs and me.

FIRST choice is always Shell Island (Mochras) about 4 miles South of Harlech / 8 miles North of Barmouth. I have been going there for . . . (works it out) near 40 years. In the early days it was really just rough camping on a huge site (approx 1 mile x 1/2 mile) but now they have all sorts of facilities IF you want them. Generally we do not want the facilities because we try to camp self-contained, and the place is still big enough to be able to do that.

I have a sneaking ambition to reorganise the camping kit to an absolute minimum and to try camping using the motorbike as transport rather than car. Difficult, but possible if we eat out a lot.

Snod
5 Precepts of Buddhism seem appropriate. Refrain from taking life. Refrain from taking that which is not given. Refrain from misconduct. Refrain from lying. Refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness

#651699 - 13th Jan 2012 8:18pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: julie253]
mrhanky Offline
Forum Addict

Loc: my house
Originally Posted By: julie253
We went to Lady Heyes site in Frodsham last year - it was brill.

have they still got the animal crematorium there?

#651700 - 13th Jan 2012 8:21pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: Snodvan]
Bezzymate Offline
Forum Veteran

Does it get cut off by the tide there Snod?
Originally Posted By: Snodvan

We have not been camping for a couple of years with other family committments but we intend to make sure we go this year. With the family grown up/ away it will just be the Mrs and me.

FIRST choice is always Shell Island (Mochras) about 4 miles South of Harlech / 8 miles North of Barmouth. I have been going there for . . . (works it out) near 40 years. In the early days it was really just rough camping on a huge site (approx 1 mile x 1/2 mile) but now they have all sorts of facilities IF you want them. Generally we do not want the facilities because we try to camp self-contained, and the place is still big enough to be able to do that.

I have a sneaking ambition to reorganise the camping kit to an absolute minimum and to try camping using the motorbike as transport rather than car. Difficult, but possible if we eat out a lot.

Snod

#651708 - 13th Jan 2012 8:29pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: Bezzymate]
poodlepup Offline
Forum Guardian

Loc: wirral
As Snod,says only great memories,been around europe touring a few times,but scotland is my favourite,wild camping/motorhome at the side of lochs with beautiful mountains,only downfall are the pesky midges!!

#651720 - 13th Jan 2012 8:51pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: Bezzymate]
Snodvan Offline

Forum Addict

Loc: Wallasey Village
Originally Posted By: Bezzymate

Snod

Bezzy

Very rare that the "island" (actually a peninsular) is cut off for more than an hour or so at very high tides. Some 15 years ago they had some Euromoney, raised the height of the causeway and put big diameter drains below to take away a lot of the water from the upper part of the estuary. Mind you I have seen a few impatient pratts drive through 6" of sea water just so they could get on/ off when it suited them. A couple of years ago one of them totally underestimated the strength of a few inches of high tide flow across the causeway (or he missed and drove off the edge) - - and he ended up with his car floating away. It was there for months rusting away.

Snod
5 Precepts of Buddhism seem appropriate. Refrain from taking life. Refrain from taking that which is not given. Refrain from misconduct. Refrain from lying. Refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness

#651724 - 13th Jan 2012 9:05pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: Bezzymate]
Pinzgauer
Unregistered

Similar to pp. Wild camping or in the winter (August-June up here) I go to various bothies. Simple basic shelters. Usually in the most remote spots. Not bothered about showers, toilet blocks, camp shops etc. A quick wash in the burn after taking the spade for a walk! Peace perfect peace.

As you say pp, the midges can send you crazy. I wear a midge veil which keeps the little buggers off your face - but they get in elsewhere!!

Off to a bothy in a forest this Sunday/Monday and will wave two fingers to "civilisation" !!

#651732 - 13th Jan 2012 9:15pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: Snodvan]
Bezzymate Offline
Forum Veteran

Thanks for the info there Snod.
Originally Posted By: Bezzymate

Snod

Bezzy

Very rare that the "island" (actually a peninsular) is cut off for more than an hour or so at very high tides. Some 15 years ago they had some Euromoney, raised the height of the causeway and put big diameter drains below to take away a lot of the water from the upper part of the estuary. Mind you I have seen a few impatient pratts drive through 6" of sea water just so they could get on/ off when it suited them. A couple of years ago one of them totally underestimated the strength of a few inches of high tide flow across the causeway (or he missed and drove off the edge) - - and he ended up with his car floating away. It was there for months rusting away.

Snod

#651733 - 13th Jan 2012 9:19pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: Bezzymate]
Wench Offline

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran

Loc: Second Circle of Hell.
Most, if not all, of my camping memories have involved Biker Rallies so memories are rather hazy doh I do love camping though.

Itís hard to be fit as a fiddle when youíre shaped like a cello!

#651736 - 13th Jan 2012 9:21pm Re: Camping Memories,good and bad. [Re: Wench]
Bezzymate Offline
Forum Veteran

Does SNATCH mean anything to you Wench?
Originally Posted By: Wench
Most, if not all, of my camping memories have involved Biker Rallies so memories are rather hazy doh I do love camping though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mod 
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Looking for Joyce Randles and family
by Gibbo
Nigel and Jacob
by granny
11:54 AM
Clutch Problem
by fish5133