Welcome to WikiWirral, sharing is what we do best.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,363
Posts1,033,326
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
15 members (4 invisible), 10,384 guests, and 564 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
lincle 4
casper 4
Topic Replies
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I have read this thread with interest and would like to add my experience.

I have just received a parking fine from Aldi. I parked there, with my disabled badge showing clearly, and took my mother, who suffers from ill health, to shop in Aldi and Home Bargains. I was completely unaware that I had been given a parking fine. There was nothing attached to my windscreen or I would have immediately taken the matter up with the store manager.

I was in Merseyside in order to visit my terminally ill father and to help my Mum with some chores, such as shopping. I live in Aberdeen and had hired a car, after travelling down to Merseyside by train. It wasn't until the car hire company sent me a paid invoice, payment taken from my credit card, that I found out about the parking fine. Because it was paid by the car hire firm HERTZ, I also incurred a £42 administration charge. I am currently fighting this parking fine and have demanded not only a refund, but also a refund of the administration charge.

When I spoke to the customer service operator, I was told that there was a time limit on how long you could park in Aldi and that the registration number recognition facility 'doesn't currently recognise' disabled parking badges. She 'helpfully' told me that I wouldn't have to pay the fine as I had a disabled parking badge, I would be able to claim it back.

I am disgusted at this attitude. £40 is a lot of money to pay out and wait for a refund on when you are on benefits. My Mum is a pensioner and cannot afford this and I am on benefits due to my disablement. I am sure we're not alone in these circumstances. To penalise people who, because of illness or disablement, for taking their time to do their shopping, I find utterly disgraceful.

In response to the posters who suggest that people abide by the rules, accept parking fines if you have parked too long etc. I suggest you walk a day in the shoes of somebody with mobility problems and then ask yourself if your comments are entirely justified.

I was planning to visit my parents again on Monday but now cannot afford to travel to the Wirral. I am £82 out of pocket and my train fare will cost £87. I just hope that my father lasts until I am able to find the money to visit him again. Aldi and the like should be aware that personal circumstances are devastatingly affected by their greed and indifference. I will never shop at Aldi again.

Google Ads
The cherry center in liscard only allows 3 hours stay ,for blue badge holders but you have to go to pay point to read about it.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
I would suggest you read the Honest John site on the net. He is the motoring bloke from the Daily Telegraph and is quite an oracle on all things petrol driven. It's an interesting site anyway if you are into cars.

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
Veteran
Veteran
Have a look here apparantly parking fines in supermarket carparks are often invalid so dont pay http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Helles, it doesn't matter how much you want to believe the stories on the internet, the law isn't on your side.

You are correct that private companies cannot charge fines BUT they can charge the fees that are advertised clearly - if the advertised fees are "free for the first hour" and a £40 fee after that, they can get a CCJ to recover no problem.

"can't afford to take you to court" If they win the case, costs are awarded against YOU, it doesn't cost them a penny.

Just because some people have got away with it is no reason to broadcast that it is perfectly safe to do so. There is a risk and it may cost you around £300.

I don't really understand why anyone thinks these charges are unfair, its like buying a train ticket for Birkenhead to Chester and getting off at London and expect to get away with it - do you think that fair???

Many of these private car parks are a facility subsidised by a shop for your amenity to shop there (and hence their profit), neither the shops nor the customers want commuters blocking up the car park all day.

The other car parks are a business with an aim to make money out of parking - you think that wrong???

Extremely incorrect.

They write to you are the RK of the vehicle, the 'contract' is made with the driver and you are under no obligation to either name them or incriminate yourself.

Therefore ignore it, and if they get a debt collector on the case then write back and inform them it's in dispute.

They WILL NOT and CAN NOT enforce it.

Despite their threats.

They have so many other issues to prove before they can even get going i.e. can they prove you read the signs? NO. Did you agree to the contract? NO. Parking there is not an acceptance, since they can't prove you read the sign.

File it in the bin and forget about it.

Get over to pepipoo.com and read the experiences of people who understand what they are talking about.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Guvna - they can (and sometimes do) take you to court.

They don't have to prove to the court that you read the signs, just that the signs were clearly visible. The court may judge whether you were the driver or not.

There seems to be a lot of people who are volunteering their own property for free parking as apparently they believe you can't do anything about it wink

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Can you quote any cases to back this up?

When I say case law, I mean any cases that have gone to court and been lost by the defendant for any other reason than not representing themselves.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Why exclude the cases where the defendant doesn't represent themselves?

CLICKY

All I am saying is that there is a risk, so many people state that they NEVER recover if you ignore them.

Its the same as speeding etc, just because the statistics show it is rare to get caught doesn't mean it never happens.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
You do realise that the website you quoted has absolutely no credibility and exists only in an attempt to scare those being sent menacing letters into paying?

Speeding is a totally different matter and I wouldn't expect someone of your perceived intelligence to use that as a comparison.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Its all about risk, if you can't afford a £40, can you risk £300+

Give me a good reason why they wouldn't take you to court, if thet win (which is likely), it doesn't cost them a penny, if they lose, its a small cost compared to the money recovered from the win cases.

Car parks aren't free to own, ask anybody in property.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
They won't take you to court because they won't win if you choose to just show up...

This is why they don't take you to court...

They pray on the naive and the misinformed, they make more than enough from these guys that issuing a court order on those that are neither is wholly pointless.

Trust me on this.

To the OP; ignore everything they send you, and if (in the unlikely event) that they issues official court proceedings (almost completely unlikely) then I will represent you myself for the cost of my mileage and a coffee and I will enjoy every second of it.

I have many, many examples of this and if anyone wishes to investigate further then feel free to PM me and I will happily help you out, it's almost a hobby of mine.

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Id ignor it bud, I recieved on from the rock for spending just over an hour there having a coffe. Got caught on camers. Ignored their threats and demands and the turd soon flushed away.

Uncertainty or not knowing causes depression, Im happy because I know I'm going to die one day!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Id ignor it bud, I recieved on from the rock for spending just over an hour there having a coffe. Got caught on camers. Ignored their threats and demands and the turd soon flushed away.

Yup.

Forum Master
Forum Master
Originally Posted by SUExx
Originally Posted by MikeT
Originally Posted by SUExx
They dont have parking restrictions in aldi bebington,not yet anyway. It doesnt matter were you park these days, my sister got a fine last sunday at stanley market , she parked behind another car and was only at the market for an hour and a half.

If she got fined because she blocked the other car in, she deserved all she got.

She didnt BLOCK anyone in, i was merely saying she parked behind another car to say other cars were parked were she parked so she thought it was all right
to park there. If that was the case,because she might have blocked them in well i dont see people that park on pavements getting tickets, surely there is a danger of knocking a pedestrian down
Hello Suexx can`t you drive in stanley market and park in the grounds free you don`t have to park out side any more ?double check that tho i`m sure that`s correct smile

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'd say she deserved it.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,486 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,745 Spotted!