WikiWirral is where great friendships are made.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,361
Posts1,033,315
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
5 members (1 invisible), 9,848 guests, and 412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I come back to Birkenhead most Saturdays, I go down town with my sister.
The shopping area is characterless.The heart of the place has gone.It is so sad, Grange Rd used to be filled with lovely shops,
or is that just nostalgia?
Lyn.

Google Ads
Old Hand
Old Hand
not nostalgia lyn,just fact.blame the supermarkets most of them sell cheap crap which people buy through the lack of money.at least in the 50s the old market was a vibrant and friendly plkace to shop,as was grange road unlike the faceless supermarkets employing nearly all part time jobs for very low pay.ask the staff at the new asda in a few months what they think.having to do silly american things like talk ins given to them when theyre getting rubbish pay.dont use it theyve been and gone before.

Forum Master
Forum Master
Originally Posted by cathcart
not nostalgia lyn,just fact.blame the supermarkets most of them sell cheap crap which people buy through the lack of money.at least in the 50s the old market was a vibrant and friendly plkace to shop,as was grange road unlike the faceless supermarkets employing nearly all part time jobs for very low pay.ask the staff at the new asda in a few months what they think.having to do silly american things like talk ins given to them when theyre getting rubbish pay.dont use it theyve been and gone before.
So true that

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I know there is loads of Asda haters but you know what town has been more busy since the store opened, not sure if that is because of Asda and the car parks or due to it being near Christmas.

Old Hand
Old Hand
its due to the novelty and christmas i stick by what i said before.

Addict
Addict
Id rather have an Asda there with a guarenteed customer base all year round than the empty shells that it replaced. I like it being there. The market scenes of the past are rare nowadays and Birkenhead has had to move with the times unfortuantely. Its the same everywhere. Birkenhead isn't an affluent area and its not a retail prospect. Hopefully this will change with the Wirral Waters Scheme.

Old Hand
Old Hand
its the supermarkets that made the empty shells.as for waiting for wirral waters we will see .

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
come off it apart from Greggs, Abbey and B&M and ok Ethel's for a bit, that row of shops had been an empty eyesore for years.

Without upsetting anybody - for those of us who are old enough we can remember Grange Rd as a bustling area - having problems to walk up and down without bumping in to each other as there where so many people shopping - same goes for the old market jam packed and as somebody said earlier it was all smiles, chats, and decent prices for decent items

Now a days faceless / characterless people / shops are out for money and have no care if the item is sound and going to last.

I agree what was said earlier, big shops (asda etc) little wage, big expectations of their staff - blame privatisation - profit for shareholders is the number 1 concern probaly number 1 through to number 100 - profit, profit

Why do you think elec gas prices are so high - profit, profit and more profit for shareholders - the raw cost of elec and gas is the same as 18 months ago?????

For those young enough you weren't around or you can't remember what it was like - its not just silly old people like me - it is just a true fact that the whole of Birkenhead has changed and without doubt it has changed for the worse in every facet you care to think about - wait for the Wirral Water Ways - don't hold your breath - something or someone will ruin that idea - how? pure greed quite simpley

WE are never satisfied, when I young some 50 years ago I wished things would get better and better - just like young people do now a days - sorry can't see Birkenhead ever getting better - only worse as has happened in my life time / dream

The vibrant happy caring Birkenhead has gone never to return

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
withthat

Carpe diem.
Guardian
Guardian
Originally Posted by daveoffshore
Without upsetting anybody - for those of us who are old enough we can remember Grange Rd as a bustling area - having problems to walk up and down without bumping in to each other as there where so many people shopping - same goes for the old market jam packed and as somebody said earlier it was all smiles, chats, and decent prices for decent items

Now a days faceless / characterless people / shops are out for money and have no care if the item is sound and going to last.

I agree what was said earlier, big shops (asda etc) little wage, big expectations of their staff - blame privatisation - profit for shareholders is the number 1 concern probaly number 1 through to number 100 - profit, profit

Why do you think elec gas prices are so high - profit, profit and more profit for shareholders - the raw cost of elec and gas is the same as 18 months ago?????

For those young enough you weren't around or you can't remember what it was like - its not just silly old people like me - it is just a true fact that the whole of Birkenhead has changed and without doubt it has changed for the worse in every facet you care to think about - wait for the Wirral Water Ways - don't hold your breath - something or someone will ruin that idea - how? pure greed quite simpley

WE are never satisfied, when I young some 50 years ago I wished things would get better and better - just like young people do now a days - sorry can't see Birkenhead ever getting better - only worse as has happened in my life time / dream

The vibrant happy caring Birkenhead has gone never to return

Dave, almost everything you say is true. However, we're now seeing the current economic system start to fall apart. The greedy rich elite keep coming back for more. Hopefully, when the dust settles from all this economic turmoil, we may all be a little poorer and less materialistic, but we'll have stronger communities and more solidarity between people

Touchstone

I do hope you are correct but I have a feeling not - if we were to have, because of the economic downturn, a sronger community spirit and love for each other there would not be so much crime and hate amongst people that there is today.

When in the past things got real bad people pulled TOGETHER for the common good not as is the fashion now a days pull in any direction so long as ME is ok

In times like we are in now, as you say the RICH get RICHER and the LESS OFF get LESS OFF

Back in "The Old Days" the people were less off in materialistic and monetary ways but by god they smiled and mixed with other people.

I go to The Gambia quite a lot - Gambia is in the "Top 10" (strange way of scoring) of the poorist countries in the world, but each and every one has a smile and good things to say about his neighbour - it is very humbling to see / watch / take part in their community activities which actualy help each other and not ME ME ME - average wage for the year is less than £200 ok, houses are none exsist for the locals but everything else cost money - share and share is their motto.

Can't see that happening here - can you?

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
I'm not sure where I'm going with this, its not a rant, I don't do rants but more of a ramble. It always brings a smile to my face when I read criticism about Birkenhead from people who lived here and left many years ago, not for one minute would I not want to hear those criticisms but they are normally produced from happier times through and from childhood or youthful experiences, which I believe always gives a different prospective.
Its mentioned all the time, communities stuck together, people looked after each other, neighbours were friendly and had more time for each other, well I feel very sorry for some because thats how I still live today. I have always found you get back what you give out.
However on saying that there still is and always has been an I'm alright Jack, ME, ME, ME, attitude, putting aside the romantic view of community spirit, why is it this community spirit doesn't extend nationally.
Its always puzzled me, when a trade union of lets say a hundred thousand members want to stick together to protect their communities and their jobs they are lambasted for doing something that most people long for the return of.
Is the community spirit only acceptable if it doesn't rock the boat and does it only extend a few houses or streets.

When I ponder about the future of Birkenhead I can't help wonder where was the support of the people of Birkenhead when this town was loosing its heavy industry, I was there, I lived through it, I've got the Tee shirt, people of this town let it all go with hardly any opposition, I seen more fight to save a few libraries. Now the focus seems to be whether a few shops can stop the demise of Birkenhead, I fear not, I do feel its up to the younger people now to stand up and start rattling a few cages, don't wait for Wirral Water, it may not come.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
Forum Master
Forum Master
Bert, no one will stand up now, they have all given up!
You cant rely on the support, everyone has just been battered down so much by local governments and parliament, theyve just given up.
Just been looking on You Tube at some old Birkenhead footage, they all say the same, steelworks, brickworks, foundrys, shipbuilding etc. The first three have gone and the shipbuilding is now just ship painting and decorating!!
Few places still make parts for the Auto and aero industries. electrical parts and small engineering.

The decline and fall of the birkenhead empire!!

IF IT HAS A HOSE THEN IM YOUR MAN

BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN FADE AWAY!
Forum Master
Forum Master
Originally Posted by bert1
I'm not sure where I'm going with this, its not a rant, I don't do rants but more of a ramble. It always brings a smile to my face when I read criticism about Birkenhead from people who lived here and left many years ago, not for one minute would I not want to hear those criticisms but they are normally produced from happier times through and from childhood or youthful experiences, which I believe always gives a different prospective.
Its mentioned all the time, communities stuck together, people looked after each other, neighbours were friendly and had more time for each other, well I feel very sorry for some because thats how I still live today. I have always found you get back what you give out.
However on saying that there still is and always has been an I'm alright Jack, ME, ME, ME, attitude, putting aside the romantic view of community spirit, why is it this community spirit doesn't extend nationally.
Its always puzzled me, when a trade union of lets say a hundred thousand members want to stick together to protect their communities and their jobs they are lambasted for doing something that most people long for the return of.
Is the community spirit only acceptable if it doesn't rock the boat and does it only extend a few houses or streets.

When I ponder about the future of Birkenhead I can't help wonder where was the support of the people of Birkenhead when this town was loosing its heavy industry, I was there, I lived through it, I've got the Tee shirt, people of this town let it all go with hardly any opposition, I seen more fight to save a few libraries. Now the focus seems to be whether a few shops can stop the demise of Birkenhead, I fear not, I do feel its up to the younger people now to stand up and start rattling a few cages, don't wait for Wirral Water, it may not come.
Hi Bert, very true ,but some times the choice has been taken out of comunity`s hands and the minds of the council ect have already been made up, plans drawn ect even before people get to know what`s going on smile

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,221 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,308 Spotted!