WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (3 invisible), 8,175 guests, and 438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
I remember the chippy near Temple Rd. The owner had one of the first Triumph TR2's. Must have been 1953/54

Carpe diem.
Google Ads
Newbeee
OP Offline
Newbeee
well I must confess, as thread-starter here, I think I can go further back and come up with more, but please correct me if I get any of this wrong - seeing as I started this link.
Walking from Prenton Park there was the Renault car sales place, which had a ramp and had cars on its roof....cross Temple Road way back (early 1970s), on the corner was a sweet shop which sold delicious green ice lollies which, sadly turned into the posh hairdressers Alan Paul, all dark brown decor. Further along there was a chippy, and then a butchers which had straw on the floor and just about kept the blood and guts out of sight! Next door sold freshly cut ham, biscuits and stuff, and further along, for many years, later, there was a pet shop (still there?) on the corner. The following block started with Mr Mann's newsagents, then dry cleaners, and a knitwear shop. A couple of shops later was the posh woman's wear shop - I think it was called Robb's – which took up two shops and had a curved glass frontage which, when the area started to go downhill a little, got smashed repeatedly : (
....cross over Parkhill Road to my favour, most familiar block (directly facing Clarence Road) which contained Sayers first, then the mentioned hardwear-type shop (later, well into the 1980s), then a tv repair shop (very dusty, full of big 1960s style tellies all over sales the floor leaving just a small path to the counter) , then, my favourite, Gay Cards, where my mum worked for a while in the early 1980s. After there was, many years ago, a tiny Tescos - I kid you not! - before it became other things, then a very good greengrocers owned by a chap who looked like a huge capt mainwaring, and finally, well back into the late 1960s, a paint shop , which turned into a take away. The next block started with a photography business, then a (linked?) chemist, and further on in far off distant times a off-licence run by the Bailey family (who's son, Stephen, was in my class)....further down, the post office where, I admit, picking up a Giro or two, and then another food shop run by a chinese family, and right at the end there was a newsagents which tried to be posh, venetian blinds etc, before Martins Bank (late 1960s) ended the shops ...
I hope this provokes a few memories of those approaching , ahem, 50 : )
the stamp shop was much further down, past the Carlton, and indeed on the other side of the road. I did visit it for my stamp collection, and it was ran by a small dark haired man who cycled everywhere who ran it as a stamp shop well into the 1980s. It was gracefully called The Prenton Philatelist. Nice

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
mmm - roughly in the same order

Garage was RE Wrights at one time
Chippy was known as the "english chippy" locally
Missed out another Veg shop
You missed out Maypole's (Maypolls?)
TV shop was Collins???
Post office moved to Borough Road from Singleton Avenue after most of the other stuff you mentioned.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by zigzagwanderer
Think there used to be a stamp dealers somewhere along there .

I remember them. They also dealt with coins.

One time - it must have been in the very early 60s - somemone gave me a William IV penny in my change. I thought it must be really valuable so I took it into this dealer. I still remember the way he gently let me down and said, "Son, this coin is still legal tender."

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I own the shop next to sayers, It began life as a bakery owned by mr sheppard then it was allans hardware and electrics till about 35 years ago, then borough hardware/ houseware which phil and margaret owned then 8 yrs ago started selling fruit and veg as coop bought milnes grocery store and simons fruit shop. the posh clothes shop was jenelles, there was a shoe shop were pet shop is now. the florist was between temple rd and parkstone and was called michelles for a while, gemini blinds was sweet shop, then solitaire clothes. the sign place now was a fish monger, there were 3 butchers,travel agents, 2 banks, 2 chemists, threshers, manns newsagents, halifax, post office, cutting crew hairdressers used to be next to post office now further down in what was jennelles. rubys chippy was bugsys belly bar, the wool shop was called margarites but betty humpreys owned it. supersavers was movietime ......

Last edited by PeterLFC; 7th Oct 2011 11:29pm.
Veteran
Veteran
I thought the posh dress shop with the curved window was called Bakers? I remember a Cousins cake shop too and the Tiffin cafe which was near the Post Office ( when it had moved to Borough Rd) The chemists was Armstrong's I think?
The butcher's just down from Temple Rd was Mr Scraggs (or at least that's what my mum used to call him) Then there was another chemist owned by a Mr Brown who used to make up his own cough mixture which thinking back, was a delicious dark brown sweet concoction that tasted like cough candy. The sweet shop up that end was called The Robot but I preferred Gay Cards with their 'penny box' and bubbly machines outside.
Moving away slightly from Borough Rd turning right onto Prenton Rd West next to the car park entrance to the Prenton Hotel was Carefull's sweet shop which sold ice cream that had to be scooped out of the containers and wow you could get a mix of flavours if you wanted two scoops, then a pet shop, and Foo's Chippy. Crossing over the road next was a camping shop I believe? Don't get me started going up Woodchurch Lane, or I'll never end.....

Veteran
Veteran
Oh and the posh hairdressers was Christopher Boyton's not Alan Paul. My friend Rachel was an apprentice there and also I forgot the greengrocers on the corner was Moore's Fruit

Beginner
Beginner
The photography shop and the chemists on the block nearest the junction with Singleton Avenue were both once owned by a company called Montague Fisher in the 1980s. My mate's mum worked in the chemist and moved with the business when it relocated to the health centre by the Sportsman pub in Tranmere. The photography shop became a solicitors(?) firm Gordon Lindsay and Partners, owned by a former Mayor of Wirral.

Think there was once a Mace grocery shop also on the same block. Vaguely remember there being a small Tescos too, which became J&J Milnes (sp), and eventually the Co-op.

Remember these shops well from spending ages having to look at them whilst waiting for the 603 school bus to Rock Ferry High!

Bugsy's Belly Bar! grin

Newbeee
OP Offline
Newbeee
these posts are brilliant - ty all for bringing the memories flooding back ....and making mine more accurate! How I wish I - or someone else - had taken some photographs : (

Best wishes David

Wise One
Wise One
dont know how i forgot about the video shop movietime seeing as how i spent so much time in there, i used to get the 603 school bus sometimes too.

Old Hand
Old Hand
the florist next to gemini blinds used to be a shoe repair shop I got my first cookery basket from there!. There used to be an open fronted fruit shop on that block I think where the blind shop is now. The pet shop on the corner of parkbridge used to be moores fruit shop I went in there once with my mum and threw up all over the floor. The butchers next to what was Threshers (bottom of Parkstone) was Evans's. This thread has been a real trip down memory lane for me. We moved to Singleton Ave in 1964,before it was widened, and my Mum and Dad still lived there till they passed away earlier this year. The newsagent next to what is now age concern at the bottom of the avenue was Jones'and yes it was supposed to be "posh"!. There was also a shoe shop on that block which is now or was recently a uniform shop. I can clearly remember the post office at the bottom of Singleton Avenue.

Veteran
Veteran
yes I remember Tesco's being there, I fainted in there when I was little and had to be taken home in the doll's pram my sister had with her that day. I also remember going in there once and asking where the 'little packets' were. I didn't realise that we called Kellog's Variety pack little packets just in our house, I'd thought that's what they were really called.
The shoe repair place was called Combes I think and had that delicious glue & leather smell that all cobblers have smile

Addict
Addict
Bit before the time being talked about and poor quality, but better than nothing? Sorry - best I've got.

I only know its Borough Road, 'cos it's got Borough Road on it! Was this near the Rovers ground?

Attached Images
lewissweetshop.jpg (21.88 KB, 90 downloads)

Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come.
Veteran
Veteran
Can you read the name of the shop on the original?
I think it's taken closer to town than by Rovers ground, where the buildings are newer.
This place is older, and given the direction of the sun and the width and slope of the sideroad, it could well be on the corner of a street leading up to Derby Road, but could be anywhere between Argyle St and North Road, I think.

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Originally Posted by Norton
Can you read the name of the shop on the original?
I think it's taken closer to town than by Rovers ground, where the buildings are newer.
This place is older, and given the direction of the sun and the width and slope of the sideroad, it could well be on the corner of a street leading up to Derby Road, but could be anywhere between Argyle St and North Road, I think.

Lewis, possibly 177, possibly bottom of Whetstone lane.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am