Penny Lane-themed Beatles and local History
weekend from 27th-28th August at St Barnabas Church, Penny Lane.
Over the weekend, St Barnabas Church on Penny Lane will host an exhibition of rare Beatles photographs courtesy of the Liverpool Echo.
- Historian Frank Carlyle will give a talk at 12.30pm.
- Special concert from Frontline Band, a Beatles tribute act from Sweden who will perform their Across the World show at 6pm.
- Dave Bedford, local Beatles historian and author of Liddypool: Birthplace of the Beatles, will take to the stage with his banjo and Beatles tales at 8pm.
- The church will hold a Beatles-themed celebration service at 10.30am and the Church will be open all day for people to look around the exhibits.
- Mike Chitty of the Wavertree Historical Society will give a talk at 2.00pm titled ‘from Penny Lane to Picton Clock’, in which he will share the History
of Church Road, Wavertree.
Paul McCartney once wrote of Penny Lane, “A lot of our formative years were spent walking around those places. Penny Lane was the depot I had to change buses at to get from my house to John's and to a lot of my friends. It was a big bus terminal which we all knew very well. I sang in the choir at St Barnabas Church opposite” (Anthology).
For more information on the Beatles-themed weekend at St Barnabas see http://www.saintbarnabaspennylaneliverpool.btck.co.uk/
or contact Karen Dooley on 0151 280 6127 or 07549 929 089
Details of St Barnabas link with the Beatles is shown on their website above, including some photos relating to the weekend.