WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
11 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,969 guests, and 428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Addict
Addict
If speed enforcement was all about slowing people down in pedestrian areas why are there no speed cameras outside schools?
Why a mobile cameras used on the Wallasey Dock Road where there is little to no pedestrian activity?

Speed enforcement has nothing to do with road/pedestrian safety. Its all about the numbers. The more people they nab for breaking the speed limit the more their figures look good before the next budget meeting.

Its as simple as that.

Paul
Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
You do see them in built up areas, which have more traffic, and pedestrians (Bayswater Rd - New Brighton), its just these 2 locations which seem a little suspect think

What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
Addict
Addict
Theres more than just 2 that are a little suspect. The siting of the majority of speed cameras is suspect.
Woodchurch road?
A41 Cammell Lairds? Ive even had a fine overturned for this one.
A41 Eastham?

Yet how many speed cameras are sited outside schools?

I would be happy to see speed cameras outside every school and a 20mph speed limit. If it was about road safety this would have been brought in already.

But sadly it isnt about road safety, hence the poor placement of permanent cameras and the choice of site for mobile cameras.

Last edited by Hiekel_Essterol; 16th Dec 2010 10:36am.

Paul
Forum Master
Forum Master
Yep. I think there should be more 20mph speed limits around schools and narrow residential roads. However roads like Fender Lane (A553?) and the M53 to Bayswater Road road (A554?) should be at least 60mph. If there was a camera just past the entrance to the gunsite before the houses then it would make people slow down earlier - Similar to the way the one is as you enter Moreton off Fender Lane. It's not exactly rocket science and yet it takes a whole bunch of clipboards and high vis jackets several years to make the wrong decision.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
That Toyota fence was being repaired again yesterday!!!
Must be people who don't know the area that crash into that fence???

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
What about the road towards Aldi in Liscard? I loved seeing the amount of tyre marks gouging the grass up down there every week!

"C20 LET bang"
Forum Master
Forum Master
Where is Aldi in Liscard?

I got tugged a few months ago for no insurance as a result of Quinn not applying my vehicle to the database. I had a lengthy discussion with the officer about wether he could or couldn't sieze my car for it because Quinn are based in Ireland they aren't as contactable as most other insurers. I think you'll find that you should be refunded the fee by the police not by Quinn. The fact is you were pulled for "allegedly" having no insurance, if neither you nor the police could prove for or against at the roadside the police should not have taken your vehicle, the fact is I presume that at a later date you have totally and unequivically proved you were in fact insured at the time so the police have siezed your vehicle without due cause as they didn't exhaust all available avenues to prove you had committed the alleged offence before siezing your vehicle and thus had no reason to sieze your vehicle so the recovery and pound costs should be met by them! I damn near got arrested for pointing all this out to the officer that stopped me but I wouldn't back down and eventually was let on my way with a warning to not be so cheeky, I wasn't being cheeky I was merely defending myself from action being taken against me for being wrongly accused of a offence that had never taken place!

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Listening to you lot it sounds like the only way you will stick to the speed limit is if the cameras were placed every 100 yards or so. The placing of the cameras is irrelevant.............. a 30mph limit is a 30mph limit regardless of how many cameras there are.
It sounds like you're saying that you will only stick to the speed limit if there is a camera there to sting you?????

I got caught last year and opted for the course. The best piece of info they gave me was if the limit is 30mph then stay in 3rd. If it starts to get noisy then the chances are you're going over 30. Cheesy as it sounds that course really did change my driving habits after 30+ years raftl

Addict
Addict
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
Listening to you lot it sounds like the only way you will stick to the speed limit is if the cameras were placed every 100 yards or so. The placing of the cameras is irrelevant.............. a 30mph limit is a 30mph limit regardless of how many cameras there are.
It sounds like you're saying that you will only stick to the speed limit if there is a camera there to sting you?????

I got caught last year and opted for the course. The best piece of info they gave me was if the limit is 30mph then stay in 3rd. If it starts to get noisy then the chances are you're going over 30. Cheesy as it sounds that course really did change my driving habits after 30+ years raftl

And what you would have paid out in a fine is going to be equal to what you will spend on the extra fuel driving around in 3rd all the time.

Paul
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

The problem with that idea is, it tends to use more fuel in a lot of cars than selecting 4th gear, and also all cars are different, it depends on engine/power/torque/fuel and most importantly gear ratio's. In a Wankel for instance, you will actually cause serious damage to the engine by driving at less than 4000rpm reguarly or for prolonged periods of time. Which is why half of the engines seem to conk out at under 40k, because people drive them at low revs and it causes a build-up of carbon on the rotors and this causes damage, that eventually leads to either an £3000+ engine replacement or at best a £2000+ rebuild.

The easiest way to do it, is to do as you should, and keep an eye on your speed, ive not been driving for 30 years yet, not even 10 years lol, but I know what doing 30 feels like in each of my cars and how the engine responds to 30 (and also what gear is best/most efficient for doing 30 in) both soundwise and vibration wise. If you drive at 30 when you should be, just like if you indicate when you be doing so, it basically becomes second nature, you get so used to doing it, you dont even realise you are doing it.

smile

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Originally Posted by Hiekel_Essterol

And what you would have paid out in a fine is going to be equal to what you will spend on the extra fuel driving around in 3rd all the time.

In most cars not at 30mph but you're right you're revs will race if you go over. Try it, you may be surprised
Sometimes it's not only about money........... if doing that makes you keep your speed down and so prevents you from killing or maiming someone then, in some people's minds, it is worth it

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

I've said it before and I'll say it again, ~90% of drivers drive at the speed that they feel is right for the road they are on. 30mph is just an arbtrary, artificial number - it cannot possibly be the ideal speed limit for everywhere that it is currently used. There must be thousands of places that the limit is 30, where in fact, speeds of 35, 40, 45 or even 50 would be perfectly safe in normal conditions. But you dare do over the magic number '30' and you are a CRIMINAL! Well pardon me if I think that is ridiculous.

Forum Master
Forum Master
Driving in 3rd is a stupid suggestion. whoever said that should be shot. Why not drive in top gear making accelerating over 30 more difficult? Like Matt said people should know what 30 feels like. Sometimes depending on road/weather/traffic conditions 30 is too fast. Part of it should be common sense and not just sticking to whatever speed the sign says. I'm not having a go with everything else you said softy. just the person who suggested 3rd gear.
I went with our Students to a 'drive to survive' course in Cheshire a few years ago and that was gruesome but excellent. Definately made you think.

Addict
Addict

In most cars not at 30mph but you're right you're revs will race if you go over. Try it, you may be surprised
Sometimes it's not only about money........... if doing that makes you keep your speed down and so prevents you from killing or maiming someone then, in some people's minds, it is worth it

30mph in 4th gear 1700rpm
30mph in 3rd gear 2100rpm

Which ever way you look at it the engine is turning more in 3rd gear at 30mph so it will cost more.

I understand what you are saying about slowing down. I am all for road safety, which is why I think there should be speed cameras outside every school to start off with. But there is such a thing as inappropriate speed, and that is what is the killer.

40mph in the Bidston Bypass is an insane speed limit for a road that was previously 70mph, and absolutely nothing has changed on that stretch of road.
There are areas of the Wirral where the speed limit is set unreasonably low, and there are areas of the Wirral where the speed limit is set dangerously high. Yet the powers that be dont exercise common sense and do anything about it.

You find me 1 person that would object to 20mph and a speed camera in front of every school in the borough. Yet they wont do that. What they will do is nearly halve the speed limit on a piece of road that has been perfectly safe up to that point with a 70 limit.

I dont think anyone would condone inappropriate speed, because it is simply dangerous, a lot more dangerous than 35mph in a 30mph road, when that road is the Wallasey Dock Road with little to no pedestrian activity.

Paul
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am