Families warned of asbestos scare as Wirral pub goes up in flamesRESIDENTS were warned to close doors and windows as a fire at a derelict Pub sparked an asbestos scare.
More than six fire engines were sent to tackle the blaze at the Corsair pub in Wirral.
They were called to the empty Pub
in Bidston Village Road, Bidston at 5.45pm yesterday.
When they arrived the Pub
, which has been sitting empty for months, was well alight.
In a co-ordinated emergency response Merseyside police were drafted to in advise people of the potential danger.
Officers went out on to the streets to warn residents to close their doors and windows because of unconfirmed reports that the burning building may have contained asbestos.
Traffic was diverted away from the area and Nederway, Bidston Village Road, Fender Way and Harthill Mews were all closed off for more than two hours.
School Lane was also affected by the diversions.
Temporary traffic lights were set up on Bidston Village Road as the fire crews attacked the blaze.
The roads were re-opened again by police shortly before 8pm.
Fire crews using an aerial appliance, another specialist vehicle and four fire engines to bring the fire under control.
A Fire Service spokesperson said that two crews remained at the scene to damp the site down from 9pm.
An investigation is now expected to be launched into how the fire started.
A neighbour living behind the Pub
said: “The police came round and knocked on all our doors.
“They were telling you to make sure you close the windows in case there was anything in the air.
“It’s the second time in about six months that it’s gone off there.
“To be honest with you it looks like it wants demolishing now.”
As fire crews were tackling the Bidston Village Road blaze another 999 call reported a flames spreading through a field next the Bidston bypass.
About 200 sqm of gorse and grass was alight.
Firefighters spent almost an hour putting the second blaze out. THE ECHO