WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,361
Posts1,033,315
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
5 members (1 invisible), 9,835 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#394737 13th Mar 2010 3:22pm
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Ok, a nice long whinge about trying to get Talk Talk phone and Broadband - unsuccessfully so far.

I had a choice between a fantastic offer by Virgin and getting talk talk. I chose talk talk because of the high call costs on Virgin - so while my first year bill will be more, it will be more than recuperated by the 2nd year. Free local calls (including 0151 and 01244 as well as others) on Talk Talk was very attractive

4/2/2010 Phone Talk Talk and order Phone and Broadband - get told an engineer to visit and have to pay £59.99 connection because I do not have an active line. ETA about 1 week for phone and 3 weeks after for broadband. £59.99 to be on first bill. Engineer to probably arrive on 12th

4/2/2010 Received txt confirmation of order.

5/2/2010 Received txt to say engineer to call on 16th

11/2/2010 Received confirmation letter dated 6th to say engineer to visit on 16th

12/2/2010 Received confirmation letter dated 4th!!! to say they want the £59.99 paid up front but the order is still being progressed.

13/2/2010 Phoned to try and pay £59.99 but couldn't find a department to accept it - went round 7 different people, most departments had no record of me at all, in passing I found out that my order was cancelled and I would have to raise a new order, ended up with Openreach who stated they have no record of activity on my address. At one point I was transferred to O2 which got us both confused, they must both use the same call centre - ????

15/2/2010 Start again .... Raised new order and paid £59.99

19/2/2010 Received txt to confirm new order

21/2/2010 Received txt to say an engineer doesn't need to call and that phone will be active midnight 25th. it looks like they suddenly discovered I wasn't a newline - so why do I have to pay £59.99 when standard connection is normally £29.99 but at the moment is free.

26/2/2010 Received txt to say my phoneline is now active and giving me my phone number. No it is not, where I used to get a little click when I connected phone, there is now deathly silence.

27/3/2010 I can't afford to keep phoning Talk Talk on mobile so fill in their website contact form. No confirmation of this was received.

2/3/2010 Filled in another contact form on their website, got confirmation back.

7/3/2010 Received email reply back from contact form, they have no record of me or my telephone number.

11/3/2010 Phone finance department to say you took money off me but I have not received anything in exchange, they found out payment is placed against the first account I opened which was supposed to be dead and closed. They put me through to Newlines who submited a report to Openreach to get it sorted - eta 15th. They are very worried this will not be sorted before the broadband date of the 18th. They also explained that as I am classed as newline until 18th is why customer services will not know about me.

13/3/2010 Received welcome pack giving me my account number, telephone number and date that broadband will be connected 18th. There is no longer any mention of free local calls(one of the main reasons for me joining) and the connection fee seems to have gone up to £69.99. Also received broadband modem etc through post.

I am waiting with baited breath for an Openreach engineer to call on Monday the 15th - the odds of this being sorted before my broadband date of the 18th is looking very remote.

I have had similar experiences to this with the following companies/bodies

BT (to a worse degree)
Tiscali (to a worse degree)
United Utilities (to a lesser degree)
Npower
ScottishPower
CSA (to a lesser degree)
JSA
ESA

I consider that the use of 0870 numbers and cheap offshore call centres has aggravated these problems. There is a possibility that the cost of the calls more than pays for the cheap offshore call centre, hence they may actually profit out of your problems - the more and longer the problems - the more profit.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Google Ads
Veteran
Veteran
Not my experience! See 'caller id on my home phone' thread, yesterday.
Maybe mine was a simpler case - changing from 'f2s + BT landline' to talktalk 'Essentials', consisting of bband and free landline phonecalls (exceptions as detailed).
I did the change by their website last September and it all went smoothly, no mention of me having to get a MAC number, which has been a source of hassle apparently. The router came within days and installed easily and the changeover was seamless on the day appointed.
The 'welcome pack' was in words of one syllable, which suits me.
I went from a useless 230kB to 6.8MB downloading for £8 less pm!
TT's account is far easier to understand than the pages and pages of BT's.
Talktalk was the only LLU isp on my exchange so the choice was obvious.

Call me a happy bunny!
It's strange how the experience can differ!

Bri

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Sounds like a nightmare d.d.
I'd be going off my head. Grr proper mickey mouse firm. United utilities were the same. Gorms in a call centre altho customer services were v. Helpful.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
My mum had a very similar experience with talk talk, just cancelled the contract in the end. very poor company.

[Linked Image]
I am a signature virus, copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Old Hand
Old Hand
Talk Talk excellent for me and my family, no complaints. Im with Bri on this one.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
DD I don't know if this is any help but this is a website which gives the 'proper' number for 0870 numbers so you can dial at lower cost from your mobile

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Old Hand
Old Hand
Cheers for that, thanks.

Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
DD I don't know if this is any help but this is a website which gives the 'proper' number for 0870 numbers so you can dial at lower cost from your mobile

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Thanks softy, I use that site all the time, but as my landline is not functioning yet, mobile calls are still pricey.

To others, you can only judge a customer service department when things go wrong - I had fantastic service off Tiscali (and its predecessors) for many years - but then my internet went down and it too 5 months, 30 phones calls and numerous emails to put right, then I had years of wonderful service again.

Anyone getting Talk-Talk Essentials (or even already have it) - beware the wording for "free local calls" has disappeared off latest documents and the website. The page with areas that constitute local calls is still present but I couldn't find a logical link to it.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
Had a lot of problems with Talk Talk, if you have to use their helpline, god help you. It's in India and they just use cue sheets. You have to phone three times before they put your through to technical support.

"C20 LET bang"
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
As another couple of weeks have passed, I thought an update on my saga is due.

I assumed, that my account would have left the "New Lines" department and be passed to "Customer Services", I also assumed that this means I would be back to scratch on getting my problems solved - how right I was, all without the use of a crystal ball.

20/3/2010 - attempted to register on the Talk Talk forums using my account number. Wouldn't accept my account number, sent off a whinge-mail.

22/3/2010 - Forum guys emailed to confirm that there is no record of my account number on their database (which is the customer-services database.

29/3/2010 - Sent off all my details to forum guys because they said they might bodge me in.

30/3/2010 - Phoned "New Lines" - they confirmed that I no longer come under new-lines and that I have been passed to customer-services, tried to make the usual funny noises about the fact that I am not on their database, she said she would sort that out.

30/3/2010 - Phoned "Customer Services" - YESSSS, I am on their database, they said an engineer had been out to plug me in at the exchange - ignored my comments that this had supposedly happened four times now, seemed very surprised that I didn't have a working telephone line, they started to go on about my broadband but then realised that no telephone means no broadband.

30/3/2010 - Phoned "Technical Services", they tried some very interesting ideas like "have you plugged a phone in and listened for a dial-tone", took me a while to clean up the debris after rolling about the floor smashing everything in sight. She said an engineer will be sent out - and did end up laughing herself when I said, "just like the other four I suppose". After a few more inane tests, she has put it through to the escalation department - where no doubt the process will start yet again. In the mean time she offered to redirect my landline calls to my mobile, after I confirmed this would be free I agreed. Life's not that easy, whilst she may have switched the redirect on, she hasn't switched the talktalk answer-phone off, which I guess takes priority, as my redirect isn't happening.

53 days after order placed.
42 days after the first date my phone should have been working.
33 days after the second date my phone should have been working.
12 days after my broadband should be working.

NOTHING! I am just about to register on the Talk Talk forums - I will probably be under the user name DumbDumb or similar.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I am still with the GPO which seems to be working fine.

Wise One
Wise One
Better with Virginmedia!

O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever ...
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Tatey
I am still with the GPO which seems to be working fine.
Mine is a BT Openreach problem, they are doing the engineering concerning the line and basically are trying everything in their power to avoid coming here and acknowledging there is a problem..

Originally Posted by nigelmclelland
Better with Virginmedia!
I wish I could afford their call charges, if it was just broadband I was after then you would be undoubtedly correct.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
As another couple of weeks have passed, I thought an update on my saga is due.

I assumed, that my account would have left the "New Lines" department and be passed to "Customer Services", I also assumed that this means I would be back to scratch on getting my problems solved - how right I was, all without the use of a crystal ball.

20/3/2010 - attempted to register on the Talk Talk forums using my account number. Wouldn't accept my account number, sent off a whinge-mail.

22/3/2010 - Forum guys emailed to confirm that there is no record of my account number on their database (which is the customer-services database.

29/3/2010 - Sent off all my details to forum guys because they said they might bodge me in.

30/3/2010 - Phoned "New Lines" - they confirmed that I no longer come under new-lines and that I have been passed to customer-services, tried to make the usual funny noises about the fact that I am not on their database, she said she would sort that out.

30/3/2010 - Phoned "Customer Services" - YESSSS, I am on their database, they said an engineer had been out to plug me in at the exchange - ignored my comments that this had supposedly happened four times now, seemed very surprised that I didn't have a working telephone line, they started to go on about my broadband but then realised that no telephone means no broadband.

30/3/2010 - Phoned "Technical Services", they tried some very interesting ideas like "have you plugged a phone in and listened for a dial-tone", took me a while to clean up the debris after rolling about the floor smashing everything in sight. She said an engineer will be sent out - and did end up laughing herself when I said, "just like the other four I suppose". After a few more inane tests, she has put it through to the escalation department - where no doubt the process will start yet again. In the mean time she offered to redirect my landline calls to my mobile, after I confirmed this would be free I agreed. Life's not that easy, whilst she may have switched the redirect on, she hasn't switched the talktalk answer-phone off, which I guess takes priority, as my redirect isn't happening.

53 days after order placed.
42 days after the first date my phone should have been working.
33 days after the second date my phone should have been working.
12 days after my broadband should be working.

NOTHING! I am just about to register on the Talk Talk forums - I will probably be under the user name DumbDumb or similar.

Utter lunacy!!

Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
3rd Report due to progress

31/3/2010 Got a txt off engineer to say it should be sorted but to txt back if it wasn't. It wasn't so txt'd back.

31/3/2010 Got a phone call off escalation team, is your phone working now as they had not heard from the engineer, I told her it wasn't working when I left home. As I wasn't at home, said I would be back by 5, she said she would phone back at 5:30 - she didn't.

1/4/2010 Phone call off escalation team ... blah blah blah

1/4/2010 4pm Phone call off engineer at exchange, said everything was leaving the exchange ok. As I wasn't at home I said I would be back in 10 mins, he said he would phone about 4:25.

1/4/2010 4:30pm Engineer phoned back, told him no telephone. He said he would have to send out an external engineer.

1/4/2010 5:05pm External engineer arrives (and another followed him - they were pairing up to clear the jobs at the end of the day). Quick check of line at my end and slapped a trace oscillator on it. Engineers bombed off to junction box and one came back to mine, bit of head scratch and sorted it. They found they had connected my telephone to wrong flat - told me to check my bill.

YESSSSS -I HAVE TELEPHONE AND BROADBAND (Measured at 18Mb/s - and got a 12Mb/s download).

My thanks to the three (Openreach) engineers involved for bringing reality into the world of TalkTalk.

Outstanding problems that no doubt will have to be resolved ...

My phone and broadband started on April Fools day not on the previous dates, no doubt they will not refund me automatically.

As I signed up before 1st Mar, I should have free local calls 24/7.

As I signed up before 1st Mar my new-line connection fee should be £59.99 not £69.99

I still question whether I should have paid the new-line connection fee, it was not a new line and in some small print of theirs I meet the criteria for a reconnection which before 1st Mar was FREE, knocked down from £29.99.

Let the battle continue, but now I can phone them free of charge, the odds are a bit more balanced.

BTW I am planning to get a 0870 number and provide this as my phone number for all those robbing companies that do that to me. I think everybody should do this, you keep your normal number(all 0870 also have a geographical number, the 0870 is an inbound redirect). The 0870 can cost you nothing, or if there is a reasonable amount of traffic you can even make money from it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mark 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,215 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,297 Spotted!