AKBAR REFORMATORY SCHOOL SHIP, ROCKFERRY, LIVERPOOL (sometimes referred to as Birkenhead).
Certified 3rd January 1856 for 200 boys. An ex Navy ship. In 1909 moved to Heswall on land as Heswall Nautical School, after six months use of the camp there as part of the school, this was certified 29th October 1907 for six months, re-certified in April 1909 for 210 boys. On the 1st August 1912 and again in 1925 the number of boys accepted was reduced to 200. Became Akbar Nautical Approved School .
Auxiliary Home, KEMPTHORNE AUXILIARY HOME FOR BOYS, ROCK FERRY, WIRRAL, for the Akbar and Liverpool Farm School, certified 20th July 1910 for 15 boys. Closed January 1923.
1866 - Captain Borland; chief officer Mr Willis, replaced Mr Lanford; schoolmaster Mr. Ross. The inspector commented "The 2nd classes (about 45 boys) read in Nos. 3 and 5 of Nelson's series and ciphered will in the compound rules. Their writing from memory on their slates was indifferent."
1867 - Captain Borland R.N., superintendent, chief officer; schoolmaster Mr Williams. Mrs Borland resides on board, contributing most materially to the cheerful and domestic spirit that narks the school.
1868 - Captain Borland, R.N., Mr Butler, chaplain, Mr Williams schoolmaster. Captain Borland resigned after 9th June, 1868 due to ill health and was succeeded by Captain Urmston.
1869 - Captain Urmston, died after a few days illness, shortly after 17th September 1869. He was succeeded by Commander Stephens.
1872 - Captain superintendent Captain Symons, R.N., succeeded Captain Stephens who resigned his command to resume active service in his profession. Chaplain Rev. E Davis; chief officer schoolmaster Mr Glover.
1884 - Superintendent, Captain Edwin C. Symons, R.N., ; chaplain Rev. R.G. Brearey; chief officer Mr J. Callender.
1891 - Captain superintendent, Captain Edward Hicks, R.N,; chaplain Rev. R.G. Breary; chief officer Mr J. Callander; schoolmaster Mr J. Digweed; assistant schoolmaster and bandmaster Mr Thos. Owen.
1893 - Captain superintendent, Captain Edward Hicks, R.N,; chaplain Rev. R.G. Breary; chief officer Mr J. Callander, schoolmaster Mr Bishop; assistant schoolmaster and bandmaster Mr Thos. Owen
1900 - Captain superintendent, Captain Edward Hicks, R.N,; Rev. F.E. Hicks, B.A., was appointed chaplain in August 1899, in succession to Rev. A.G. Child; chief officer Mr W. O'Connor; schoolmaster Mr S. Bishop (provisional certificate); assistant schoolmaster and bandmaster Mr T. Owens, second assistant schoolmaster Mr E.F. Maund; supervisor and seaman instructor Thos. Bowckett; gymnasium instructor John Hignett (twice a week).
1903 - Captain Hicks, who served for 14 years, died on 22nd September 1902 and was succeeded on 1st December by Captain G.L. Bennett R.N,; chaplain Rev. F.E. Hicks; chief officer Mr W. O'Connor; schoolmaster Mr J. A Tarver; assistant schoolmaster Mr J. Matthews. Mr Owens, assistant schoolmaster and bandmaster left 28th February 1903, succeeded by Mr Paul Agnew. Mr Spencer joined as bandmaster and infirmarian on 1st March 1903.http://www.missing-ancestors.com/ALPHABETICAL%20LIST%20OF%20ALL%20SCHOOLS.htm