WikiWirral yrs online 24/7 365 days a year.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,361
Posts1,033,315
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
5 members (2 invisible), 9,809 guests, and 384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_

The Wirral Show is scrapped After 33 years

THE Wirral Show has been axed after its organisers, the Rotary Club of Wallasey and Wallasey Lions Club, pulled out.
In a statement, the organisers said: "The Rotary Club of Wallasey and Wallasey Lions Club have determined that they will not be continuing to organise the annual Wirral Show.

"Volunteers from Lions and Rotary, together with Wallasey Round Table, which ceased to operate in May this year, have run the Wirral Show for many years, for much of the time with support from Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council.

"Over the past 33 years the event has grown to become one of the UK’s biggest free-to-enter summer attractions, drawing thousands of visitors each year to the New Brighton promenade showground."

Michael Emberton, chairman of the Wirral Show, said: "Given the way the show has grown over the years we have now reached a point where the complexities of such a huge operation are beyond what a group of committed volunteers reasonably may be expected to accomplish."

At a meeting of the Wirral Show Committee, resolutions submitted by the Lions and Rotary clubs were considered resulting in the decision that – with great regret – both clubs are unable to plan and organise the Show in 2010 or in future years.

The committee’s decision was conveyed to Steve Maddox, Chief Executive of Wirral Council, in a letter from Michael Emberton, chairman of the show committee.

The committee expressed thanks for the council’s continued support, over the years, for the Wirral Show.

The show started in 1977 as a community project of the Rotary Club of Wallasey who decided to mark the Queen’s Silver Jubilee by reviving the Wallasey Carnival with a procession of decorated floats through the town.

The parade finished on New Brighton promenade where a number of stalls had been erected.

In the following years, the number of floats decreased while the number of stalls increased, becoming the main attraction.

Entertainment was introduced to add to the occasion.

As the event became too large for Rotary alone to organise, the Lions and Round Table clubs were invited to help in what became a unique venture uniting three service organisations working together on one project for the benefit of the community.

As the show became a two-day event, it attracted very large crowds from Wirral, Merseyside, the North West and North Wales to enjoy spectacular entertainment, all provided with no charge for entry to the showground.

Highlights have included the Musical Ride of the Household Cavalry, the White Helmets Motorcycle Display team, The Royal Horse Artillery, many famous stunt acts such as the Garard Naprous horsemen and the Lings Motocross team and a huge variety of aircraft displays ranging from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight to the gentle giant of the skies, the A380 Airbus and the Red Arrows.

Over time the showground has extended to cover the entire area of open land, known as The Dips, between New Brighton and Harrison Drive.

A Wirral Council spokesman said: "It was with great sadness that we learned of the committee’s decision.

"We would like to pay tribute to the hard work and dedication of all those volunteers involved over many years. It is simply not possible, at a time of significant financial constraints, for the council to take over the running and funding of the show.

"We will continue to work hard alongside all those people organising events in the area to ensure that Wirral continues to have a successful programme of events for both residents and visitors."

THE GLOBE

Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Good riddance to chavfest!!

P
PaulWirral
Unregistered
PaulWirral
Unregistered
P
That's one hell of a bombshell. I bet the old biddies of New Brighton will be well pleased. They usually go on their holidays when the Wirral Show is on.

The sooner this cold snap kills them off the better! Sorry, I hate the old people on New Brighton seafront cos they seem to do their best to stop any developmnt of the area.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
It's not exactly development though is it, it's a money making scam that attracts legions of chavs and troublemakers to the area from all over Merseyside and it's boundaries.

Development would be if they installed some sort of permenant exhibition/fairground etc...

smile

P
PaulWirral
Unregistered
PaulWirral
Unregistered
P
True but I still want a good cold snap to kill off the moaning old b*stards!

What's blue and kills old people?

Hypothermia!

AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
Me in my lucky blue overcoat actually...

No, seems a shame, hopefully a bigger more permanent organsation will take over the running. This leaves other events open to closure, The Promenade Rally is already in doubts, but hopefully Wallasey MC wont follow suit.

As it happens though, Ive never been to the wirral show in my entire life raftl

[Linked Image]

------------------------------------------------------------
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by MGCraig
As it happens though, Ive never been to the wirral show in my entire life raftl

Ah, now there's a man with common sense!!

laugh

Unfortunately, I have a few times, and it's about as much fun as going to Birkenhead shopping, everyone trying to scam money out of you and chavs everywhere lol.

AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
Frankly, whenever I drove past it, it simply looked like a bunch of "Travellers" setting up camp, with the occasional fairground attraction.

Id rather spend a bit more cash, and got to Alton Towers etc. At least there theres an 90% chance you wont die raftl

[Linked Image]

------------------------------------------------------------
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by MGCraig
Id rather spend a bit more cash, and got to Alton Towers etc. At least there theres an 90% chance you wont die raftl

Actually, you may be surprised to learn, that the cost of the rides at the Wirral Show, is pretty expensive, we're talking £3+ a go on some of them. Given the fact that even in high season, you can get into the likes of Alton Towers and Blackpool for £17 - £25, even after fuel, the difference is negligable considering the quality and the unlimited-ness of Alton and Blackpool.

smile

Although, you may still die (though more because of shock rather than falling out of your seat haha!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Youre looking at the side shows - the people who are trying to profit from it with the side stalls, fairground etc....

The Wirral show should be about locals being proud of what they are doing and "showing" it, then you get the air display, other displays etc...

I doubt you will find any of the chavs there as they are only interested in the beer, getting drunk, and the rides....

I think its just a shame, that as with everything, it has become so comercial and money orientated frown

What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
The show used to be good years ago, my main memories were the classic cars, the air displays, the dog show, the bikes and the local craft tents.

It has been poor for well over 15 years, so in away I;m glad it has gone.

[Linked Image]
Addict
Addict
I think this is a terrible shame, and a huge blow to New Brighton, many thousands of people came to the show each year, with many travelling from all over the North West.

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
gutted

The wirral show 11years ago was the best thing all year. me and my mates would look forward to it frown

However as mentioned alot of drunken chavvy yobs have spoiled it for the next genoration. I have not been for a few year for this reason. the police need to get a friggin grip and sort them young one's out.

RIP Wirral Show frown

Addict
Addict
I've done stewarding for the show for a few years and not had any chavvy youth encoutners, don't know what all you old biddies are moaning about =D

it's a good show i think and a shame that it wont be happening again

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
about time they closed that shit hole down, It was only good for perving at birds anyway.. Guess its back to dirty mags for me now.

Uncertainty or not knowing causes depression, Im happy because I know I'm going to die one day!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,203 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,265 Spotted!