Wirral family: Our puppy was chased to his death by rottweilers

A PUPPY was chased onto a busy road and killed after two rottweilers escaped from their owner’s garden.
[Linked Image]
And in a double blow for Kenny and Christine Phillips, the owners of 14-month-old terrier pup Charlie, their son was taken to hospital suffering an allergic reaction after being stung by a wasp while burying the dog.

Mr Phillips, 52, had been walking Charlie and cocker spaniel Jess along Pensby Road, Heswall, last Thursday when they came under attack.

Hairdresser Christine, 51, said: “Kenny was trying to save our dogs by putting them on his shoulders and then on to a high wall.

“He found himself cornered.

“Charlie fell off the high wall and was again attacked by the rottweilers. He then ran into the road and was killed by an on coming car.

“The rottweilers eventually ran off and Kenny was able to bring Charlie and Jess home.

“We took Charlie to the vet but he was already dead.

“We kept him in his basket overnight. We were so upset. He was our little puppy, our little baby. We’re just so devastated.

“We have a young grandson, Jack, and what has been going through my mind is the thought that had he been there he may have been attacked.

“Kenny is blaming himself, he thinks he should have saved him.”
As the family were coming to terms with the loss of Charlie their son Mark offered to bury him in the garden.

Christine said: “He went to the bottom of the garden to bury Charlie when he was stung by wasps.

“He is allergic to wasps and his face, eyes and neck started to swell.

“His wife ended up taking him to hospital where he needed 10 steroid shots.

“He was eventually allowed home three hours later.

“It was one of the worst days of my life.

“It really was one thing after another. I can’t believe Charlie has gone.”

The rottweilers were found and returned to their owners who said they hadn’t realised they had escaped over a high security wall.

THE ECHO