WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (3 invisible), 8,665 guests, and 424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
Dozens of pupils sent home from Liverpool school for wearing the wrong shoes

DOZENS of children were sent home from a Liverpool school this week for wearing the wrong shoes.

Teachers at Fazakerley high met about 60 pupils at the school gates and told them to return home to change into plain unbranded shoes.

The school policy only allows plain black footwear.

The school today said the agreement was reached with the backing of parents, pupils and governors.

But single mum Joanne Kaye said she was furious her two sons were sent home to Norris Green after turning up for school wearing black trainers with a silver Nike tick logo.

She claimed the 12-year-old and 15-year-old boys had to sit on the doorstep for hours in the rain until their nan returned home to let them in.

Ms Kaye said: “They could not even get into the school grounds. They were just sent home. Why couldn’t the school have just phoned me?

“They did not have a key and had to sit in the pouring rain.

“I am fuming because I have not got enough money to buy them both a new pair of shoes, so I have had to keep them off school.

“I thought these shoes were hard-wearing and suitable despite the small tick.

“I can understand if they were luminous or green but the school should be concentrating on the truants.”
The school should be more concerned with tackling the truants and those wearing the wrong clothes and layers of make-up than a tiny tick on a pair of shoes.”

But head teacher Nick Fleming said everyone was made aware only plain black shoes were acceptable.

He said: “Wednesday was a training day and when the school opened in the afternoon, we asked around 60 children to go home and change into school footwear.

“We did not send any of the younger students home and all but four have returned to school in the correct footwear.

“In July, I sent out a flyer and letter to all our parents, giving them two months’ warning that only plain black shoes were allowed for school.

“If not, they ran the risk of the children being asked to go home and change into the correct footwear.”

He added: “Governors, staff and children are more than happy with the charter, which all parents and pupils sign up to.

“Plain black shoes are cheaper, stop children identifying themselves in groups by their make of trainer, and stop them being competitive.”

THE ECHO

Google Ads
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Full marks to the school
It's about time that these kids and their parents were made to toe the line. Rules is rules. You were warned. Get over it!!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I agree. The kids will always try+ flout the rules but the parents?
I would have thort theyd have bin made up not having to fork out for 'designer shoes'.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
I agree. The kids will always try+ flout the rules but the parents?
I would have thort theyd have bin made up not having to fork out for 'designer shoes'.

withthat

Autowirral.co.uk - The Northwest's Biggest forum of Motoring Enthusiasts.
Cruisewirral.com - The Northwest's Biggest forum of Modified Car Enthusiasts.
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Nothing new in that, we got in to trouble for wearing winkle pickers and then later cubin heels in the 60s.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
More like the teachers couldnt be arsed teaching a full class. No wonder the kids are thick as pigshit nowadays, they get sent home for fook all.

Jeeze I used to wear whatever I wanted, so long as it was tidy and resembled a uniform... but then at both Birkenhead School and Wallasey School, they were more interested in TEACHING the pupils rather than debating their clothes.

Moron's, this just entices kids to skip school imho - political correctness gone wrong. I know, from personal experience, if you miss the first few days of a new school year, you end up more reluctant to return.

If my mum wanted to send me to school in £80 Ellesse or Kickers (or even "Pod" one year, remember them lol) than that was her choice, not the schools. They were still smart and almsot completely black. There were some kids who attended with Black (sometimes with white strips) Reebok Classic trainers, it didnt affect their performance in class, and I don't recall any bullying taking place because some kids came without branded shoes.

To be honest, most of my mates shoes (who didnt have branded ones) fell to bits in a few months, mine and other pupils used to last more than a year!! Maybe it was partly down to the fact your parents would make you look after them, so you learnt to appreciate that things cost hard earned money, but I also think that a lot was to do with the difference in quality. Cheaper ones may be better made nowadays, such has been the need for lower brands to catch up in quality, but that certainly wasnt the case in my day.

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
My mother use to buy our things from the Army & Navy surplus stores, went to school one day dressed as a Japanese Admiral

Old i know verysorry

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by MattLFC
More like the teachers couldnt be arsed teaching a full class. No wonder the kids are thick as pigshit nowadays, they get sent home for fook all.

Jeeze I used to wear whatever I wanted, so long as it was tidy and resembled a uniform... but then at both Birkenhead School and Wallasey School, they were more interested in TEACHING the pupils rather than debating their clothes.

Moron's, this just entices kids to skip school imho - political correctness gone wrong. I know, from personal experience, if you miss the first few days of a new school year, you end up more reluctant to return.

If my mum wanted to send me to school in £80 Ellesse or Kickers (or even "Pod" one year, remember them lol) than that was her choice, not the schools. They were still smart and almsot completely black. There were some kids who attended with Black (sometimes with white strips) Reebok Classic trainers, it didnt affect their performance in class, and I don't recall any bullying taking place because some kids came without branded shoes.

To be honest, most of my mates shoes (who didnt have branded ones) fell to bits in a few months, mine and other pupils used to last more than a year!! Maybe it was partly down to the fact your parents would make you look after them, so you learnt to appreciate that things cost hard earned money, but I also think that a lot was to do with the difference in quality. Cheaper ones may be better made nowadays, such has been the need for lower brands to catch up in quality, but that certainly wasnt the case in my day.
kids should respect what their parents buy them regardless of whether they designer or not?
Im sure you can buy quality leather shoes for lads that cost twenty quid- a quarter the cost of say, ben shermans?
My rationale as was my mums was-how many hours have to be worked to pay for....
Am i wrong in thinking that this applies more to the lads? My lad was happy wiv b.sherman, kickers etc and then it was rockport requests-ya avin a laff mate!
Whereas my daughter was the opposite- she wanted stupid, plastic, flimsy soled 'dolly shoes'. £10 from the market-totally impractical-last a month if we were lucky!!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Do parents get financial help towards the cost of school uniform each year (more specifically, shoes)?

Awesome
Wiki Master
Awesome
Wiki Master
Yes - if on specific benefits - but I'm sure it isn't so they can get their darlings Nike or Reebok.

I can understand people don't want to pay for shoes such as Clarks, Hush Puppies etc as they are extortionate (I had my arm twisted in June to buy my 5 year old girl a pair of Clarks that had a little dolly secreted in the heel of one of the shoes - £32). I'll make sure she wears them until they are too small or they fall off. Won't be doing it again. I'd rather buy a pair of leather shoes from a supermarket - Tesco and ASDA do decent ones.

No point spending loads when their feet are growing every 5 minutes!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Went to school one hot summer in wellies. I'd worn my shoes out playing footie. It was only school photo day and I was the only kid in wellies and they stuck me at the front, b......ds
I agree about Nikes being inappropriate footwear for someone who is broke, and two pairs????

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
Smartchild
Smartchild
My son in Park High was given a letter stating his shoes (plain black Lacoste, small alligator on side which is covered by his school pants)were not appropriate attire and to wear plain black shoes. He won't wear shoes and now goes to school in £7.50 black pumps haha smile

Forum Master
Forum Master
I've recently bought myself 2 pairs of shoes from different shops - both pairs a fiver (one for work.. one for going out)... I'm size 12 which apparently means I'm an alien with 10 heads...? 'Sorry we don't stock that big a size' Surely there must be a demand for size 12? It's not even that big!!
Anyway back to my point... Pair of George shoes - £5... pair of nike trainers with a big silver tick - £30?...

Good on the school... however I don't think they should be sent home... I think their nike trainers should be confiscated until 'home time' and they can walk round in socks all day... or even better - get the lost property box out!:)

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I suppose being sent home would work if the parents care bout the kids education but if they dont then the kids in a win win situation-day off and looking the part for hanging round the streets.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Snooze
Yes - if on specific benefits - but I'm sure it isn't so they can get their darlings Nike or Reebok.

So anyone not on benefits does not get help? In this case, I don't really see how the school or the education authority has a leg to stand on (excuse the pun) - a parent works hard for their money, they should be able to spend it as they like, if the school or education authority want to have a say, they should pay or at least contribute towards the cost of the shoes. Otherwise, I say they can fook off!

The parents should abide by the suspension, and simply not send the kids to school - the school will pay for it in the long-run when they get rapped for their high unattendance rate, and sooner or later, they will give in for fear of being fooked by Ofsted.

As I say, its about time teachers got back to teaching, instead of moaning about this, that and the other, all they ever do is moan about pay, wanting more holidays and now pupils shoes... ffs, they have no interest in being teachers now, and are simply there to leech the system to get as much as they can for doing as little as they can.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
TheComputerLab
TheComputerLab
Wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am