TRANMERE Rovers take a break from League One action to play Bolton Wanderers in the Carling Cup second round on Tuesday night.

The fixture at Prenton Park, which kicks off at 7.45pm, follows a disastrous performance against Leeds United at Elland Road on Saturday afternoon, in which Rovers lost 3-0.

Their promotion campaign continues on home turf this Saturday, with a game against Charlton, kick off 3pm.

Manager John Barnes told Globe Sport: "Charlton are a good side and this is a game we can win, but we have to be a tougher side.

"We can aspire to be the greatest football team in the world, but the confidence and desire has to be there if we have any chance of achieving this.

"The players need to put themselves up, from a physical point of view, against their opponents.

"We're a very quiet team, but need to be more vociferous. In fact my daughter said to me that she could hear me shouting during the game. If that’s the case, then we’re doing something wrong.

"We need to be more demanding and I really want the players to have a say in how they want the game to go."

Reflecting on Saturday's game, when midfielder Bradley Johnson and strikers Jermaine Beckford and Luciano Becchio scored the goals which took Leeds to victory, Barnes said: "The way we played on Saturday was unacceptable. The attitude wasn't right and we started sloppily, which has happened before, and did not help the back four or defend well as a team.

"These are things we’re going to have to work on in the future.

"Determination, consistency and confidence are the keys to success. We have to be focused on our job in every game, no matter how many spectators turn up to watch.

"I need players who are vociferous. They all talk off the pitch and in the dressing room, but don't shout to each other before playing the ball.

"It's not a question of turning them into bawlers and screamers, just about giving them the confidence to work more with team mates. Even if someone leads by example and runs about shouting orders, this is a start."

Fans will have a chance to watch the players train and test their own footballing skill during a supporters' training day this Thursday, August 27.

The event starts at 9.30am, and fans will have a chance to buy the new lime away kit in the club shop.

There will also be an opportunity to look around the dressing rooms before watching the first team train on the pitch at 10.30am.

The players will sign autographs afterwards, while fans can test their speed and accuracy in special interactive games.