WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
14 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,530 guests, and 650 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#327254 10th Jun 2009 8:04pm
RUDEBOX Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Could we have a linky to this story in the globe please?
I cant believe the cyclist rode on!!

Google Ads
P
PaulWirral
Unregistered
PaulWirral
Unregistered
P
http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/search...ter_collision_on_New_Brighton_promeande/

A SIX-YEAR-OLD girl suffered horrific injuries after she was mown down by a hit-and-run adult cyclist on New Brighton promenade.

Liberty Dempsey from Wallasey underwent hours of painful surgery for a broken leg following the incident, which happened near the lifeguard tower on King’s Parade at around 6.30pm on Thursday.

She spent four days in a children’s ward at Arrowe Park Hospital following surgery to repair the tibula and fibula in her left leg.

Nails and rods were placed in her leg to try and heal the bones, which had been pushed to one side because of the force of the collision, and the youngster remains traumatised by what happened.

The incident has also left her seven-year-old sister Honor having nightmares and caused enormous stress for her 39-weeks pregnant mum Verity and dad Jamie.

According to Jamie, the cyclist just quickly asked how Liberty was before popping on his earphones and shades and cycling away.

It is believed the man was outside the cycle lane at the time of the incident.

A nurse came to the family’s aid and patched up some of the bleeding, and Liberty was taken to hospital.

She will now spend the next eight weeks in a plaster cast, is confined to a wheelchair and has bruises to her leg and elbow.

Jamie has written to the council’s director of technical services, David Green, calling for the cycle lane to be removed from the footpath along the seawall and placed on the opposite side of the road or within one of the two lanes of the road.

He told the Globe: “I hope that the council will listen to my plea and do something about this situation.

"You should be able to go out for a walk along the promenade without fearing that a cyclist will whiz past and knock you down.

"It's not as though cyclists need to be able to have a nice view - they should be concentrating on where they're going.

“I’m worried that this could happen again and that next time it could be an old person who is knocked down.

"If the cyclist was to have hit my pregnant wife or a newborn baby in a pushchair it is terrifying to think of the outcome.”

A petition called "After Liberty's accident, let’s get the cycle lanes moved" has been placed by Verity on the social networking site Facebook and had more than 80 signatures within hours of going online.

Jamie, who works as a technician at Arrowe Park Hospital, said: “I’m extremely angry about this and don’t know what I’d say to the person who did this, but I know it wouldn’t be nice.

“If I’d knocked someone down, I’d feel bad and would stop and help her. I’d also leave my contact details.”

Asked how she felt about the incident, Liberty, who attends St George’s Primary School in Wallasey, replied: “It was not nice and I'm very cross.”

Recalling Thursday’s events, Jamie said: “I went to my car to get a drink for my daughters as they were very warm from the walk. I then heard a scream.

“On turning round all I could see was a man aged 35-40 on the floor and my six-year-old daughter underneath his bike and not within the cycle lane.

“I had no idea how badly injured she was as I had only just picked her up off the floor. As I looked up again the man was cycling away from the accident without a care in the world.”

A council spokesman said: “We are aware of the incident which was reported to our Streetscene team and wish the little girl a fast recovery.

“We have spoken to Mr. Dempsey and it appears that the cyclist was not in the designated cycle lane. We are currently investigating this accident and will be liaising with Merseyside Police who are looking into this incident.

“The cycle lane at New Brighton is a popular, recognised route used by families and young children on bikes.

"The route is clearly marked and signposted and the promenade is wider than the recommended guidelines for shared cycling and pedestrian facilities.

“There are many such facilities across the country where both walkers and cyclists can enjoy the beauties of their coast or countryside.

“A defined cycleway provides segregation between walkers and cyclists. Removal of such facilities could increase the risk of collision where cyclists are riding on pavements.

“Unfortunately, drivers of both motorised vehicles and bicycles, on and off-road, can put other people at risk if they do not drive responsibly.

"The solution is not necessarily to remove facilities that are put in to help, but to try and ensure that people use them and drive safely.

“As the summer months approach we would like to remind both cyclists and pedestrians to pay extra attention when using the promenade.

"Ideally cyclists should give way to pedestrians on the cycle paths.

"Pedestrians when crossing the cycle path should cross with the same care and attention as crossing the road.”

A police spokesman said: “At the moment we are trying to see if an offence has been committed, because there is no CCTV footage available from the area.

“We are trying to piece together what has happened and would like the cyclist to get in touch, to help us with our inquiries, by calling 709 6010 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

#327260 10th Jun 2009 8:18pm
Smartchild
Smartchild
I saw this totally pile of i wash cyclist slagging off.

That guy did stop and he did show concern obviously not knowing any complications.

Then the family want every cyclist shot on the wirral.

So here is another way of reporting the incident.

cyclicts have been enjoying the quite area of west wirral for many years avoiding the heavy traffic areas and possible attacks from aggressive car drivers.

A commuter who was using his bike to aid his fitness and get ready for a charity ride was nocked off his bike when a unaccompanied young child ran into his path.

The cyclist stopped and advised the parents that it is irresponsible of them to let the child runaround near the road.

The aggressive reply from the parents left him feeling ashamed what sort of world the child would be brought into.

Pacef8

RUDEBOX Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
I dont think the cycle lanes should be removed.
If people stuck to their 'desìgnated areas' and ALSO remain vigilant and aware that not everybody does-ie a dog or a toddler dont know-accidents like this should not occur. The prom is for everyone to use.
I use it as a walker, dog walker+ cyclist and the situation isnt perfect. We just need to try+ rub along together!
That cyclist must have been proper razzing along-wheres the courtesy there for the small people. I hope the guilt gets to him.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
The man crossed the road and left a six and a seven year old to look after themselves ... not good no

Cyclist - it should be compulsory to have 3rd party liability insurance.

Cycle Lanes - loads of people walk along the New Brighton cycle lane, but it is only a guideline, pedestrians do have right of way.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
RUDEBOX Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
That was played down in the globe! As was the cyclìst being verbally abused.

Awesome
Wiki Master
Awesome
Wiki Master
I think cycle paths next to walkways are a bit of a silly idea.
But I also wonder what happened to parental vigilance. If I was walking along there with my 6 year-old I'd be holding his hand because I know he likes to run on ahead. Its right by a road as well, so I'd be double-vigilant of what was around us.

I often wonder if I am over protective of my kids. But in this day and age where everyone has a 'right' to something e.g. I have a right to walk on a pavement, the cyclist has a right to cycle on the cycle path, the car drivers have a right to drive on the road. But if everyone is exercising their right where is room for common courtesy - everyone's too busy assuming they deserve something over others.

Rant over.

RUDEBOX Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
That was played down in the globe! As was the cyclìst being verbally abused.
(the dad on the other side of rd, i mean) tut tut

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
My bug bare/bear (never quite sure which it should be) is that the cyclists ride on the pavement. I've been tutted at, told to move and verbally abused because I refused to move out of the way for adult cyclists. I stay off the cycle lane, it's for cyclists - the pavement is for me!

I don't think they should remove the cycle lanes, but I have to say I agree with making them have insurance of some sort. Other road users have to, so why shouldn't they!?!

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
The man crossed the road and left a six and a seven year old to look after themselves ... not good no

Cyclist - it should be compulsory to have 3rd party liability insurance.

Cycle Lanes - loads of people walk along the New Brighton cycle lane, but it is only a guideline, pedestrians do have right of way.
Sorry, that's me quoting a misquote - his car might not have been parked on the other side of the road.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Wench
I don't think they should remove the cycle lanes, but I have to say I agree with making them have insurance of some sort. Other road users have to, so why shouldn't they!?!

Once you introduce insurance for cyclists, its then going to be, you cant go hiking etc, walk on a dirt track, go up a mountain, unless your insured, and then eventually, you wont be able to jog unless your insured (the amount of times ive seen joggers bump in to people is quite surprising), and eventually you will need to be insured to wipe your own arse in case you end up in hospital as a result of it.

The government wants the country to go green, but won't provide for the greenest method of fast, long distant trasnport aka cycle lanes, but has no problem in building more toll roads in the future, just cos their going to coin it in from them.

Addict
Addict
when i got run over i got ask by my solicitor if i had insurance!

Awesome
Wiki Master
Awesome
Wiki Master
I don't think people realise how injured you can get when you're hit by a bike. I had a friend who got knocked down when she was 19. She broke her arm in 3 places. Had to have several operations. Pedestrians and bikes don't mix.

Smartchild
Smartchild
I was hit by a cyclist once while crossing a busy road, to be honest I had to cross between parked cars as there was no other choice, I genuinely didn't see him. Both of us were injured, my right leg was badly bruised and he hurt his hands. There was never any nastiness or threats, just a kind 'are you ok?' from us both really.

All I'm saying is, it's easy to do, you can blame the cyclist for not staying around or being out of the cycle lane(he may have had good reason-a lot of the time people are walking in them and you have to come out), you can blame the parent. Accidents happen, and it WAS an accident.

It's dangerous to cycle on the road its not that much safer on the cycle paths!!

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
It seems that nothing can happen to anyone in this country these days without it being somebody else's fault.
As you say, accidents happen - get over it!

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am