Rubens Barrichello has admitted an element of "luck" in being named Brawn GP's second driver and sympathises with Bruno Senna, his rival for the spot.

Senna was expected to get the nod from Honda for 2009 after impressing in testing but the team withdrew and was bought out by ex-team boss Ross Brawn.

And, with little preparation time remaining, he opted for Barrichello, Formula One's most experienced driver.

"I'm just lucky that at this time F1 has changed a little bit," he admitted.

"Because of the lack of testing, it is going to more experienced drivers again but I wish Senna all the very best," added the 36-year-old after the first day of a four-day test session at the Circuit de Catalunya on Monday. Senna has done fantastically well and has a future in Formula One

"We're good friends, and although we haven't talked for the past couple of months when we've been fighting for a position, it has nothing to do with us.

"It was sheer coincidence that we ended up at the same place at the same time.

"For someone who has three or four years of experience, he has done fantastically well and he has a future in Formula One.

BBC Sport Report...

Absolutely Gutted....

I was at Oulton Park when I saw Bruno senna in his first 2 races in the UK, in Formula 3. He won both races by around 20 seconds, on hs first visit to the track !!!!!!!

That boy deserves a place in F1, he could eventually become a real rival for Hamilton. The only good news from this is that maybe he might be picked up by a better team.

[Linked Image]

------------------------------------------------------------