The 'Saddle Inn' in Withens Lane was once two small cottages on the mainwaring estate. Mr Kithingham, who was the owner of Mother Redcaps was born there. It was called 'the horse and saddle inn'. at one time. it was built about 1821.
It has been a Pub
for many years. It was re faced in 1924. The Hughes family have been associated with it for a considerable time (90 yrs). The last member to hold the licensce was Derek Hughes, who usd to paint scenes of old Wallasey. His father, Wilis Hughes, was licensee at one time and had been a successful football player. Indeed, the Hughes family once fielded an entire football team, bar one, for playing local matches.