A CELEBRATION of the life of popular Liverpool broadcaster Phil Easton will be held at Liverpool cathedral.

Work colleagues have been arranging the special event for the public to pay their last respects to the City Talk presenter who died suddenly in February.

The memorial has been confirmed for 4pm on Friday, March 27, where up to 1,000 people can attend.

It has the blessing of Phil’s wife Fran and children who have already said goodbye to the DJ at a private funeral in Sefton.

Friends from the 59-year-old’s workplaces: Radio City, City Talk and Liverpool FC are to attend.

Well-known figures from the music world are showing interest as Phil made countless famous friends thanks to his Great Easton Express radio show.

David Coverdale, frontman from rock band Whitesnake, has already stated his wish to pay his respects.

Anfield stadium announcer George Sephton, who has worked at the Reds’ home for 38 years, said the memorial service would be a fitting send-off for his friend.

George has compiled a special playlist for Sunday’s game against Manchester City, featuring Phil’s favourites from his Great Easton Express show.

Artists who will be heard from 2pm onwards and at half-time will include Chris de Burgh, U2, Electric Light Orchestra, Supertramp, Bruce Springsteen and Thin Lizzy.

George said: “It’s my birthday on Sunday, but I’ll be really glad when it’s over as I don’t know how I’ll feel on the day.

“Phil knew some very A-List people, he was very friendly with Bono, and I remember him shaking before interviewing David Bowie as he was looking forward to it so much.

“Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy was a good friend and once the two of them swapped roles on the radio with Phil Lynott asking the questions and Phil answering.”

Earlier this month, Phil suffered a suspected brain haemorrhage at his Crosby home.

Those who wish to attend the memorial should visit the Radio City or City Talk website.

THE ECHO