WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,886 guests, and 533 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
Every home in the UK will have to pay an internet piracy tax as part of a new Government commitment to give every household broadband access by 2012.

Lord Carter's Digital Britain report suggested scrapping BT's obligation to provide fix line access and instead rolling out the new technology.

A so-called Universal Service Commitment would see everybody able to watch video online, including the BBC iPlayer, and put Britain at the vanguard of new internet technology.

The government also announced its plans to legislate around illegal internet file sharing, which would see online providers force to tell those breaking rules their conduct is unlawful.

Internet service providers will be required to collect information on serious repeat offenders and hand over details to music and film companies that own the content. They will then be subject to court orders.

As part of the clampdown the government will launch a rights agency to bring together figures in the industry to agree how to encourage and people to stop the practice.

The new rights agency would be funded via a levy - believed to be £20 - on internet service providers (ISPs) and the music and film industry.

Other conclusions could include a levy on broadband bills to compensate film and music companies for their losses from illegal downloads - which could a total of £1 billion over the next five years - and for Channel 4 to be pushed into a merger to ensure its future as a public service broadcaster.

Estimates suggest the cost of the universal broadband could run into hundreds of millions of pounds.

It is likely to be funded by service providers, such as BT, Sky and Virgin, as well as mobile phone operators, broadcasters and web content owners.

That raises the prospect that the BBC, which operates the popular iPlayer system to watch programmes online, could have some of the licence fee ring-fenced to help pay for the roll out.

Ministers see the communications sector as a growth industry for the country that can help boost the economy. The sector contributes £50billion to the UK, and the Government believes it will be the backbone of the nation's economy in the years to come.

'Internet access is not just about entertainment,' one source said last night.

'It is also an essential tool for business and learning. There's a social case for this commitment.'

About 40 per cent of homes did not have broadband by last year, according to Ofcom and some households - especially in remote areas - lack the necessary infrastructure to support it.

Under the Government’s universal service obligation, BT must provide fixed-line phone services and narrowband internet access to every household that wants them at a cost of up to £74million a year.

Communications Minister Lord Carter said this month that broadband 'is an enabling and transformatory service and therefore we have to look at how we universalise it'.

His final report, Digital Britain, will be published in June. It will outline plans to boost the internet and communications industries, as well as dealing with illegally copying and sharing music and films online.

The Times reported that Lord Carter is to propose creating a body to mediate between internet service providers (ISPs) and music and film companies.

It would provide information about people who repeatedly infringe copyright by copying and sharing files, and be paid for by a levy on ISPs, the paper said. Such a charge could be passed on to broadband customers.

Professor Martin Cave, a telecommunications expert from Warwick Business School, said the country needed to create a network of fast fibre optic connections.

'Large-scale fibre optic investment is essential and UK policymakers must resist introducing any sort of regulation that deters private companies from spending the money needed to upgrade our internet infrastructure,' he said.

'With the increasing use of the internet for online gaming and downloading music, we need to allow the internet to evolve and develop in order to cope with these new demands.

'New technologies such as the BBC's iPlayer require much faster processing and no delay in transmission.'

Lord Carter's report is expected to push for a merger between Channel 4 and either Five or BBC Worldwide to create a viable non-commercial competitor to the BBC.

Last week communications watchdog Ofcom warned that Channel 4 faced a bleak future unless such a deal could be reached.

In a speech today in London, Gordon Brown said Lord Carter's report 'sets out the scale of our ambition to compete in the digital economy'.

He will add: 'Our digital networks will be the backbone of our economy in the decades ahead.

'We know that every aspect of our lives - every school, every hospital, every workplace and even every home - will depend on the services the digital network provides.

'It is as essential to our future prosperity in the 21st Century as roads, bridges, trains and electricity were in the 20th Century.

'So even at this difficult time for the economy, we will not turn our backs on the future. Britain must invest in the industries of the future.

THE MAIL

Google Ads
Forum Master
Forum Master
Why am i not surprised

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
wont work no

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
What a shitter, I pay £25 a month already and that's too high.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Surely that would mean people like me who don't download illegal stuff, might start to do so to get my moneys worth?

[Linked Image]
I am a signature virus, copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
good point ax, they are dicks arnt they, they have basically accused everyone of being an internet theif !

Uncertainty or not knowing causes depression, Im happy because I know I'm going to die one day!
Are you SoNutz?
Forum Master
Are you SoNutz?
Forum Master
What fooking arse holes.. Im sorry but i aint paying NO TAX wot so ever for surfing the Internet if you TAX me i'll be forced to DDOS you!!!!!

Lee Mills

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
What you worried about? It will NEVER work!

Wake up peeps no

wink

Putin khuilo
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Wheels
What a shitter, I pay £25 a month already and that's too high.

as for you, your paying too much, if you can, go for a lower spec.

WATCH the smallprint or you will be conned wink

Putin khuilo
Are you SoNutz?
Forum Master
Are you SoNutz?
Forum Master
Originally Posted by _Ste_
What you worried about? It will NEVER work!

Wake up peeps no

wink

I know but still if they did then they are pricks cause basically everything i do the goverment get payed ?? i.e.

1. Television (sometimes i watch the odd documentary (time team etc) so they would get payed for me to enjoy myself watching such program.

2. Internet (sometimes i download applications of intrest for educational purposes only so they would be charging me for that. Reading a special email my wife has sent me for a laugh so basically id be paying the goverment for doing that.. Get the picture)

3. Buying a bar of chocolate and a DVD basically when i buy certain bars of chocolate cause i want one to watch the dvd ive just brought has gained the Goverment yet again money from me for my enjoyment...

4. When i use my mobile or telephone i know my bill will be making the goverment richer cause they know charge VAT on the tw**ts..

5. If i had a car i would be paying the goverment again..

6. I pay the goverment to empty my rubbish etc (council tax)

SO basically everything you do in this god forsaken country you get windeled of your harned earned cash and they even tax you on that with income tax.. So basically *bows down to gordon brown and his swindlers* cause that is what im doing isnt it???

Lee Mills

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
To true Lee happy

I think everyone knows this and it angers a lot of people but at the same time, how is anything going to be done about it when a large percentage `turn a blind eye` ?

I agree with what your saying, this country does take the piss!

Putin khuilo
Forum Master
Forum Master
The "window tax" will be back soon, then you will flip!!!
Get your bricks and cement ready!!!!

IF IT HAS A HOSE THEN IM YOUR MAN

BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN FADE AWAY!
Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
FFS, get Neu Labor out, they're taking the piss.

"C20 LET bang"

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am