I dragged this out of the garage this year as I was bored of not skinning my knuckles on solid metal and getting absolutely filthy.
Had a look at it in in late Summer 2008 and put it in for the MOT, it had stupid things like ball joints and corrosion on brake pipes.
Got under it, and every single bolt had corroded. Nuts just rounded off and even such as move and you'd get a mouth full of rust flakes.
I'd say the amount of 'removing bolts' vs 'doing actual work' was 10:1. Ridiculous!!
I spent 30 quid on new nuts/bolts first and then I stopped counting at 700 quid on new parts. I have replaced all the bushes and ball joints, ARB links, and new dampers. The car had a Hydragas pump-up in Wigan:
It felt much better after that, and with the suspension replaced, it's like a new car, the difference is amazing.
So far, I've welded a new sill skin, replaced the hood, the bonnet cable, rear calipers, brakes and pads and also the handbrake cable and brake and clutch pipes along with a new brake master cylinder and clutch master and slave cylinder.
Everything was a barstard to do because of the corrosion. The rear brake discs was the worst. I had to cut them into bits to get them off. Totally rusted solid on the hub!
Softest metal known to man:
Setting these up was a barstard - the reason why it failed over and over again. The Nazi mot tester wouldn't pass it even though it -worked-:
Everything is done now (after a month of getting rotten in the open air). Will MOT it soon.