Claughton Higher Grade School c.1904 which stood in Borough Road between Mount Grove and Brattan Road, was built in 1883 and replaced the original schoolroom.
The schoolroom had formerly been situated under Christ Church, Claughton, but when the premises became too small they moved to this site.
In 1937, it became a primary school only and changed its name t Christ Church C of E School. The school was evacuated to Llanidloes, Mid Wales, in 1939. A land mine destroyed destroyed the school in 1941 and after the war, a new senior school was built here, opening in 1954 with the infants school building complete in 1965.