The tram pictured on the right in Laird
Street c.1906, is turning into Mallaby Street.
The building on the left was the main offices for the Birkenhead Corporation Tramways, opening 28 July 1903. The gate at the entrance to the tram depot can be seen this side of the offices.
This was the main car shed and had been built in 1900-01, to house the new electric trams, which had come into operation first on the Rock Ferry route 4 February 1901, taking over from the horse drawn trams. The depot could accomodate forty-two cars initially and was soon extended to take sixty.
The depot was futher extended in 1927-28, to provide the needs of the buses only, with an entrance in Plumer Street. This became the bus depot after the trams ceased in 1937. Today the depot and offices are the headquarters of Mersey Bus - Wirral Division. Birkenhead Co-operative Society branch No 7 was built on land to the left.