WikiWirral is where great friendships are made.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,360
Posts1,033,313
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
13 members (4 invisible), 9,874 guests, and 471 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
Wirral waters
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:07am
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by hootmeil - 4th Apr 2024 1:15pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Sky Digital Subscription - you subscribe to Sky. Simple lol.

Im not 100% over the FTV HD channels, but I believe the FTV ones will be free regardless of whether you have a HD sub or not...

Cant guarantee this until it actually launches, Sky need to make money on the extra bandwidth being used, so it may only be FTV for HD subscribers.

Google Ads
Waddi Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
FTV for HD subscribers, that doesnt make sense, you can watch this HD channel for free if you pay £10pm for the HD package, so then it wouldnt be "Free" to view, lol

Will they not charge ITV and c4 to air their channels?

[Linked Image]
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Well like I say I dont know. It could be without subscription, it may need one. Wait and see.

I just cant see Sky wanting to put all FTV channels on a non-HD sub basis. As the likes of Channel 4, ITV-HD and BBC-HD (when it finally gets into gear) could well deter customers from paying the HD sub.

How it could work, is with a HD sub, you only get the channels that you subscribe to the normal counterparts... so a FTV HD channel could quite easily be just that, you get it automatically with a HD subscription because the counterpart channel is FTV.

For instance you wouldnt get Discovery Channel HD, National Geographic HD or History Channel HD unless you subscribe to the factual mix, even though you are paying for the HD subscription.

Waddi Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
you put your thinking cap on there matty, thats proberbly how they will do it, As I said earlier, Wasnt really impressed with the quality difference in currys other than on Sky Sports HD and bbcHD, maybe the programmes on them were proper HD programmes shot in HD tho and the other channels were just upscaled programmes etc. the bbc content I watched (spooks and heroes) was on SKY+ as bbcHD is currently only a part time channel.

Heroes and spooks blew me away with the explosions and special effects. and you could see individual facial hairs on the rugby players when it zoomed in close on a small group. and when zoomed in on players on the football on the other SKY sports HD, I think it was yeovil, was impressive but not over-impressive as a whole picture when zoomed out to show the game,

So Im gonna get the skyHD box, depending on whether they will let me buy one without subscribing to the HD package for 12months.
then sign up to HD for a month when more channels are launched, mainly c4 and itv.
if its any good keep it, if not unsubscribe, I will still keep bbcHD tho, yipee.
Get 8Mb/s BB
Get SKY landline and freetalk

Am I right in saying that only the skyHD is going to be capable of the TVoD service?

[Linked Image]
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Yes, the SkyHD box is the only one that will be able to use TVoD when it launches next year. This is because its the only box with the hardware capabilities and the power, and even if the other box had that, the HD box is the only box with the ethernet connection lol, which will be vital for TVoD.

Waddi Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
So thats that.

could take a Sky landline as I had no current BT landline, and therefore had to get BT to reconnect me and sign a 12month contract.

SO BT are coming out a week on monday to reconnect my landline.

Phoned Sky, with the combination of the voucher off Matty and the National trust HD offer.

The NT HD offer has some small print, to get the HD box for £199 you must also purchase a SKY+ box for £99 and pay £10pm multiroom.

So I went for the free SKY+ box and install offered on the Voucher of Matty, and the operator told me unofficially to "watch this space" for HD offers for exsisting SKY customers in the coming weeks or months.

They are coming out a day after BT to install. I thought that was pretty quick. any tips on questions to ask the installer to get any freebies etc.

Thanks again Matty, you converted me from VM to Sky.

[Linked Image]
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
No problem fella, soryy about the landline, usual BT procedure (just keep an eye on how much BT charge you) - you should be able to move to Sky Talk in a couple of months if not sooner, but probably not for the landline. Ask them though, it may be BT making crap up to keep you as a customer, as im pretty sure you are allowed to choose any service nowadays, could be a 12 month thing though realistically.

Apologies about the HD box also, its only a matter of time before they come down in price, atm Sky are pushing the Sky+, probably in an effort to get more people onto the Sky+ service, expect a HUGE push of SkyHD when the TVoD launches next year, its the only way they can do it. £149 boxes can't be too far away im sure of it!

I hope ye enjoy the service as much as I have, did you take broadband with it?

BTW, when the engineer comes out to do the Sky install, ask him if he is giving you an Amstrad box, and if so, ask if there is any Pace or Thomson boxes instead. There isnt many problems with the Amstrad PVR3 since it was launched, but I feel Pace and Thomson are far superior, as Amstrad have had massive problems with the PVR2 (which I have lol).

thumbsup

Waddi Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
I heard SKY bought amstrad tho....

No need to apologise mate, you have done more than enough to get me a good deal, just this hidden small print, the operator said that existing SKY cunstomers will be getting a very good HD offer soon.

I have to call SKY about broadband and SKYtalk once the landline has been activated by BT, he did a test thingy over the phone with the postcode, should get circa 5mb from the 8mb service.

[Linked Image]
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Yeah Sky bought Amstrad a few months back (pending Ofcom and competition commission approval now though), but Sky are still contracted with Pace and Thomson (very minor with Thomson though not sure if they had anything since the Sky+ 160 boxes were out) to provide their boxes, so they should still have plenty of alternatives to Amstrad at the depot.

Its worth a try in any case.

5Mbps sounds a good speed, they said mine was around 4Mbps and i reguarly push 8Mbps without problems, lets hope its the same for you hehe!

Glad to have been of some use, sometimes I wonder why I take an interest in all this crap, its only when it actually comes in useful to someone that it actually pays off lol!

grin

Waddi Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
which is the best box and why.

[Linked Image]
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
None in particular. You will just get a PVR3. Iirc, most are actually Amstrad, but they do have Paces too.

The only reason I say steer clear of Amstrad if at all possible, is because of all the PVR2 boxes, the only ones with any significant problems are the Amstrad's.

Basically, since a software update about 2 years ago, the sound has randomly skipped on recordings, to the point where people have had to force Sky to replace the entire box by emailing James Murdoch himself and telling him about the problems. I can vouch myself, that the problems didnt exist before it, and I too have had the problems intermittently.

There is a 150+ page thread on Digital Spy, listing all the serial numbers affected etc, and the only boxes affected by the problem are Amstrad PVR2's. A lot of the time they record things fine, then some of the time its just stupid the amount of breaks in sound. A few members on Digital Spy have actually been interviewed by BBC Panorama who may be investigating the issue in the near future.

Its not known to affect PVR3's, but people just generally feel Amstrad's are of somehwat lower quality. For instance, when Sky Digital first came out, Amstrad's they were giving out lastest a maximum of 18 months, after which they died. Also, when you look at the boot-up times of Amstrad PVR2's compared to Pace PVR2's, the Amstrads take upto a minute, whereas the Pace take 15 - 25 seconds. Noticeable difference.

I would hope that the new Amstrad's have caught up with Pace, their boxes are also prone to some problems of course, but I think the industry in general has lost a fair bit of faith with Amstrad kit and although the PVR3's yet to have any notable problems, it will take time for the reputation to be rebuilt.

frown

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mark 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
Gibbo
Gibbo
Formby
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 8:57pm
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,118 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,116 Spotted!