Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
11 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,969 guests, and 428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#183290 6th Nov 2007 4:12pm
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Digital Spy
Bliss, Flaunt and Scuzz have been removed from Virgin Media's digital cable lineup in ex-NTL areas.

The three music services from Chart Show Channels Media Group were removed earlier this morning after an agreement for them to become available in ex-Telewest areas was not reached.

Virgin Media Technical Support have released the following statement about the situation: "We are continuing to harmonise our Digital TV offering and the removal of these channels forms part of that process. All these channels were in our XL TV package and any XL customers can get unlimited access to Music Video On Demand for no extra cost. This service allows the viewer to choose from over 1000 music videos, and play them when they want."

So er... in other words, they are basically cutting the number of channels available to the customers, therefore diminishing the value of their service, I bet their pricing isnt reduced as a result?

Now I see what they mean when they say they are not concentrating on the television side of things, they are just aiming to make it run as cheeply as possible instead!

Digital Spy Report

Google Ads
Are you SoNutz?
Forum Master
Are you SoNutz?
Forum Master
There trying to get everyone to use this shit On demand service.. Flaunt was always on in the morning. Know i cant listen to my music.. Virgin you need to loose your frigging cherry and get on form...

Lee Mills

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
The music video on Demand service imho is well better than any of the 3 axed channels, I can demand what music video I want to watch out of quite a big selection and its delivered immediatly without charge, better than watching/listening to a load of music that isnt my taste. tbh if I want music I put the radio on or a cd, not music tv.

I think music audio on demand with the ability to create and save a playlist would be a great idea, they could proberbly fit a huge library of mp3 quality audio for the space/bandwidth of 1 video.

iirc they are freeing up bandwidth for linear HD channels.

imho they need to axe all the +1 channels, and put +1 content as VoD, i.e
If a programme is broadcast 3:00 - 3:30 then at 4:00 it should be avialble on VoD, and at 5:00 the VoD list is updated and is replaced with shows broadcast between 4:00 - 5:00. just a thought.

On V+ and Sky+ I know you can rewind live tv, but is this only the channel you have been watching. and how far back can it rewind.

Im just jabbering on now so I will stop.

[Linked Image]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
we just started using that musicon demand it well cool never watched the 3 channels they took off any way so no major loss to our house raftl

[Linked Image]
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Wrong technology Waddi mate.

Freeing up bandwidth... ahem, the bandwidth on cable should be no problem, its Sky via DSAT that should be worrying about bandwidth.

Sky have very limited bandwidth in comparison to digital cable (whether its FTTH or Coax), yet not only do they have twice as many channels, but they have 12 HD channels (maybe more) whereas Virgin have a big fat ZERO at the moment.

At the end of the day, its cutting the cost of running the service, which is why more and more channels will be getting cut.

Virgin have already publicly announced that they are not bothering developing the tv service anymore, as they have given up trying to compete with Sky.

They are going to get rid of as much as they can, then just lease it running the way it is.

They were even rumored to be ditching Liberate for a cheaper STB software within the next 12 months!!!

MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Tbh, I was predicting this when the PE shit first came about, its all about making the numbers look better, cutting costs to the detriment of services to attract a higher price for the shareholders...

smile

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Just a quick SKY question matty, coz I cant be arsed goin on the sky website, how much is all channels bar sports and movies, SKY+ and SKY HD, intial premium then monthly subscription?

[Linked Image]
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
I think its £21.00 per month + £10.00 for the SkyHD subscription. The Sky+ subscription is now free for all customers no matter what package ya on.

The 300GB boxes are £299 from Sky, but ya better getting them on eBay from proper retail sellers for around the £150 level.

Most of the major retailers selling them on eBay get them from the same supplier as Sky with the same warranty, forget the name of the supplier, pucker shit like though.

smile

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Im thinking:

Sky HD with all mixes, but no premiums yet
8mb BB, isnt it only an extra £5
what phone offers do they do, or they a phone service provider yet or do I also hae to pay BT line rental.

its all confusing

what HD channels would I recieve through SKY if I didnt subcsribe to the sports or movies premiums.

[Linked Image]
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Yeah, just a note, there may be an installation charge, but go to an independent for a standard free install, and throw him £20 to throw an extra cable/quad LNB for the Sky+ instead lol.

The broadband is £5 for 8Mbps/448Kbps or £10 for 16Mbps/800Kbps, although lighter users can have the 2Mbps service included in the price.

The phone line is £10 and includes free caller display, as well as the other standard features you would expect like free voicemail, 1471 etc...

There is a Sky Talk Freetime plan, which is a bit cheaper then BT's standard plan, and includes the unlimited off peak and weekend calls to landlines, with rather cheap mobile calls, or for £5.00 per month, there is the Unlimited plan, which includes unlimited calls to landlines and also iirc, unlimited calls to 10 popular countries around the world such as Spain and the USA etc... As well as calls to mobiles of like 9ppm peak time.

Ill dig out the info on the calls for ye tomoz if ye want.

smile

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
that would be great matty,

so basically
I intially shell out say £299 for arguements sake, on a SKY HD box,
may have to pay for installation, whats the extra cable/quad LNB for?
then £31pm for all mixes and sky hd, but no sports or movies
then £10pm phone line rental
2mb bb is free

its looking a bit pricy at the moment, If I break the intial premium out into monthly installments, thats around £65pm.

one last question before bedtime, this is the deal or no deal question for the mrs, can you get 4oD on Sky, she is addicted to hollyoaks and because of the kids and tea-time, bath time, bedtime etc, she cant watch it at time of brodcast, and likes to catch up later in the evening or later in the week.

[Linked Image]
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
If you pay the £299 to Sky, they will give you the install free usually.

The extra cable/quad LNB was only if you get a HD box off ebay, Sky charge £40 minimum for an install, but an independent will do a standard install free, then throw him some wedge to upgrade it to the Sky+ install.

I dont think ye can get 4oD with Sky tbh, it can be gotten via 4oD on the net of course, but Sky havent launched their realtime on-demand service as yet (its going to take a lot more implementation for it to work). The SkyHD boxes are currently the only boxes that will be able to work with the on-demand stuff when it is launched next year.

This is the reason im considering investing in an HD box meself, other then the fact my 4 yr old Sky+ PVR2 is too small at 40GB and with it being Amstrad, its on its way now.

Why the need for on-demand though, with 300GB of Sky+ space at your disposal lol...

tease

Forum Master
Forum Master
currently im:
£47 tv
£37 internet

and that aint a hd tv (although it did cost £1200 new a few yrs ago)

used to pay £95 for a lower internet connection and was on c&w tv

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
TVoD is very important to me, coz I use it quite a lot, 80% of the TV I watch is OD. with working shifts most of the time I dont no what I've missed until I see it in the OD menu, but with SKY+ or even V+ I would have to foward think. did SKY actually launch the service where you could set your SKY+ to record through your phone from anywhere in the world, that would be usefull, albeit expensive tho.

but there always series link for the regular stuff, e.g Hollyoaks, top gear, Dora the Explorer.

SKY was looking to be the way I went till I worked out figures and realised no 4oD, Virgin back in the running.

With Virgin, once the initial £150 is payed for the V+ box (which isnt your to keep, you only rent it off them) you pay no extra subscription for HD, but Im wondering whether they will introduce a HD subscription fee when the launch some linear HD channels.

What HD channels do you get with sky if your not subscribed to Sports or Movies?

[Linked Image]
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
They would most probably need to introduce some sort of fee, as HD channels are classed as premium channels and the broadcasters require a lot of money for a cableco/satco to broadcast them. I think this is part of the reason they wont launch HD atm, so they can say to customers, "look our V+ is half the price of SkyHD and it does HD too" - even though our service doesnt have a single HD channel atm (iirc they only HD channel they have is BBC HD which isnt currently broadcasting).

Yes, with Sky, you can setup your Sky+ to record from anywhere, via a standard phone it would be via text, but from a Symbian phone, it is via a mobile EPG, much alike that of the actual EPG found on the boxes themselves. You can also use the web, which again has almost identical EPG to the STB software. You are supposed to give it around 30 minutes to set the recording, but on the odd occasion ive used it (basically testing it out), its been done within a matter of 3 or 4 minutes.

Yeah, the series link works very well. I used to swear by it (nowadays I record very little on my Sky+ cos it has had hardware problems recently which I think ive fixed, common in Amstrad PVR2's).

Without a subscription to any premium channels, the standard Sky HD channels are:

- BBC HD
- Sky One HD
- Sky Arts HD
- Discovery HD
- National Geographic HD
- History Channel HD
- Sky Box Office HD 1
- Sky Box Office HD 2

but soon to launch HD channels are:

- Luxe.tv HD (in a week or two)
- Channel 4 HD (December 2007)
- FX! HD (January 2008)
- ITV1 HD (February 2008)
- MTV HD (Q1, 2008)
- Ultra HD
- Rush HD

I think the premium channels include a further 2 sports channels and 2 movies channels in HD.

I know what ye mean about TVoD, it can be useful, I often find things on UK Nova or the BBC iPlayer that I never noticed on the EPG.

The only TVoD Sky have atm, is Sky Anytime TV, which is is mainly content from Sky channels, although some stuff from the likes of Living is on there etc... They cant launch a full on-demand service like cable, because DSAT is a one way system; you can downstream, but upstreaming is difficult.

James Murdoch did confirm however, that sometime in early 2008, Sky would be looking to launch full TVoD service to all SkyHD customers taking Sky Broadband 8Mbps. The SkyHD boxes are currently the only boxes that will be able to handle TVoD, due to the required hardware, this is why I am looking to possibly upgrade early next year - HD to me isnt important, im one of the sceptics that believe HD isnt the future of TV, well not as much a part of the future as broadcasters like to make out anyway.

smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mark 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am