Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,928 guests, and 431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#161862 11th Jul 2007 12:37am
Waddi Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
I currently have a Nokia 6630, OK, now that everyone has stopped laughing. I have had it for 2 years and I think its at the end of its life, battery dying all the time, have tried a new battery and that does the same.

I dont want to spend much but obviously want a better phone, was considering the Nokia 6280 0r N80 of fleabay or second hand.

wish list is:
at least 2meg camera with flash
big screen for image viewing and video watching,
to be able to input mutiple numbers/info under one contact name
cheap to buy
not locked to or branded 3 or Virgin

any comments or advise gratefully recieved

Waddi

[Linked Image]
Google Ads
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
I tend to prefer Samsung and Sony Ericsson phones as I think they are quality phones. Sony Ericsson wont have that many big screens but camera and flash they have, also multiple numbers/info imput. lets set it out like this:

Most Sony Ericsson phones:

Have:
good/excellent camera's but varies depending on the phone.
Able to input multiple numbers/info am pretty sure
they are cheap, as you can get ones that go brand new from £40 but camera is ok as said camera varies due to dif phones.

Most of Sony Ericssons dont have that much of a big screen as nokia's do so that the only disadvantage in your case but has lots of gd features and gadgets inside.

Samsung:

They have a quite resonable size screen, they are stylish i wud say and i think they would of have all ur requirements but they dont have as much gadgets on it as Nokia's and Sony Ericsson do, so i would recommend a Samsung except the e900 or D900 which camera just aint good. they are good but u have to be still as a frozen pea to take a good pic otherwise u will get a distort pic or how ever you would say it.

So Samsung i would say wil have all your requirements so i vote Samsung.

Nokia's tend to be expensive unless your looking for second hand, an i have had some bad experiences with them, as the Nokia N70 i last had was quite large and slipery that i droped it numerious times an the screen jst went on me so i have had screens going lots so i gave up on Nokia phones.

Just wait for other oppinions tho, but then again if you decide to buy a samsung phone or any phone just make sure that u dont unwrap everything. The trick is buy a phone an make sure that the wrappers are all where they sud be and test the fone out and if you dont like it then jst simply return it in its original order and ask for a refund or change for another fone.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Samsung are better quality phone, my previous D600 is the best phone I have ever had (far better than Sony K750i).

I still have it and might consider selling it, but the screen is quite scratched.

[Linked Image]
I am a signature virus, copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Waddi
battery dying all the time, have tried a new battery and that does the same.

It's the way you charge it that retains it's life.

With Ni-Cad (Nickel Cadmium) batteries (most older phones), they work best being fully charged and then fully depleated before being recharged again. If you overcharge the battery i.e. charge it ever night even when it doesnt need charging, it's life tends to lessen.
This applies to all rechargable devices which use Ni-Cad batteries.

Newer phones and devices use Ni-MH (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries. These are much better at coping with being over charged and hold their battery life longer.

Originally Posted by AX_125
Samsung are better quality phone, my previous D600 is the best phone I have ever had

same here, but im sure matty will big up nokia and totally dismiss any samsung compared lol.

i'd say d600 too, but as pomp says, camera is quite slow taking high quality pics

Autowirral.co.uk - The Northwest's Biggest forum of Motoring Enthusiasts.
Cruisewirral.com - The Northwest's Biggest forum of Modified Car Enthusiasts.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
wish list is:
1. at least 2meg camera with flash
2. big screen for image viewing and video watching,
3. to be able to input mutiple numbers/info under one contact name
4. cheap to buy
5. not locked to or branded 3 or Virgin

Tbh mate, forget every other phone looking at the wish list, you want the K800i.

1. No other phone on the market incorporates a real xenon flash. I wasnt aware that the D600 had a flash - it may have a little shitty LED light, but not a flash by any stretch of the imagination. The K800i is still to this day, by most mobile phone review sites, regarded as the best phone camera on the market, and is used as a benchmark for new phones to compete against. Its a 3.2 megapixel, has a decent sensor and although a lot of the Cybershot brand is spin, they have made a quality product. The Cybershot software however is quality, with features such as BestPic, Photofix and of course the PictBridge printing feature only usually found on proper digital camera's.

2. It has an incredible screen, its very big, perfect for watching videos (mine was the James Bond limited edition handset and came with trailers etc).

3. Im pretty sure all modern phones can do this.

4. It depends what you consider cheap. Cheap could be anything to anyone. If you mean cheap as in less then £50, then theres no chance with the K800i. But if you mean cheap as in around the £100 mark, there are plenty of new ones going on eBay from reputable power sellers for this price. Also, the price has started to be hammered by the release of the K810i (same phone, different buttons/style), and with the K850 on the way, the price is only set to drop even further.

5. K800's like every phone can come both locked or unlocked, and both branded or unbranded. Just check when buying. If you get the N80, it WILL be locked to the network, and its BB5 protection, so its an absolute pain to release the service lock (i dont think the market do it for instance).

Hehe, the 6630 was a good phone tbh, I had one a few years back and it was the best phone Nokia made until the N93 came along. The only problem I ever found with it (apart from the usual problems associated with phone camera's) was that the camera suffered from vignetting, but my 6680 did also, so I assume it was to do with the lens/sensors they were using at the time.

Still, for a Symbian phone, it was fast.

Joe, I dont generally recommend Nokia's as they dont make the best phones in many sectors. However, if you want the highest end phones that do everything, Nokia is the ONLY way to go without getting a PDA, if you want a simple phone that just does the basics and does them well, Nokia is again the ONLY way to go. Nokia's also dont excel at any one aspect, however when it comes to Symbian phones, considering Nokia are responsible for the whole S60 source nowadays, and they have the most experience, then Nokia's are the only way to go for Symbian, except if you want S90, where the P900 etc are better, although some Nokia E series phones are arguably as good.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
battery dying all the time, have tried a new battery and that does the same.

It's the way you charge it that retains it's life.

With Ni-Cad (Nickel Cadmium) batteries (most older phones), they work best being fully charged and then fully depleated before being recharged again. If you overcharge the battery i.e. charge it ever night even when it doesnt need charging, it's life tends to lessen.
This applies to all rechargable devices which use Ni-Cad batteries.

Newer phones and devices use Ni-MH (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries. These are much better at coping with being over charged and hold their battery life longer.

Huh? Lol, Joe, no phones have used NiCd for maybe 10 years now, and Li-ion has been the chosen technology for the most part since the millenium, even my Siemens S25i, which was released in 1998, has a 750mAh Li-ion battery. NiCd isnt even a good a technology for phones, as they are low power draining, dont require surge currents and dont need to have extremely low levels of self-discharge, which basically wipes any advantages of NiCd out and puts at a severe disadvantage when compared to higher capacity Li-ion and NiMh.

In my experience, my K800 was a beast for battery life, its officially quoted at 15 days standby time. If you use it on a GSM network (ie. not 3), then it will offer upto about 8 hours talktime. If you wish to use it on a UMTS network, then like most phones, the battery life will decrease significantly, it will drop to around the 2hr 30 mark for talktime, the standby time remains about 15 days though.

The beauty of the K800i is that you can select which network standard to lock to, so if you are on any of the GSM networks, you can use it in GSM mode for awsome battery life, or UMTS if you want the features that brings with it (of course phones like the D600 can't handle UMTS anyway).

I think the D600 and K800i are about equal when it comes to GSM talktime battery life, although the K800i has slightly better official ratings (maybe 20 minutes longer), they are both around the 7 hour mark.

The K800i is about 2 days longer standby time then the D600.

BTW, whether the phone is NiMh or Li-Ion, their charging systems are very advanced, and do not allow "overcharging" (not that it happens on Li-ion anyway). Once the battery is fully charged, most phones simply trickle charge, except for the odd one or two which instead just stops the charge altogether.

smile

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Nokia N95 super dooper smiley smashing fone!

but i think im the only one that likes it tease

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by whelan
Nokia N95 super dooper smiley smashing fone!

but i think im the only one that likes it tease

Its arguably the best Symbian S60 phone on the market atm, it deffo has the widest range of features and applications as standard, and deffo contains the most up to date technology.

The only problems it has its its price tag (which is the same for all high phones to be fair) and the fact whilst it does a million things, it doesnt particualy excel in any single aspect/feature.

For the price tag of N95, unless I required the GPS, id go for the N93i myself, but the N93i is a lot bigger phone, thanks mainly to its 3x optical zoom camera. I love the screen options on the N93/N93i though.

I assume with the N95 being Nokia though, it will still have crystal sound quality on calls however??

smile

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Camera with D600 can't compare with K800.

The D600 is about 2.5 years old now, it was released a similar time as the K750i but was IMO a far better phone.

For a cheap cheap phone I would recommend one, if you have a bit mor then i would recommend a K810i or even a D900

[Linked Image]
I am a signature virus, copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by MattyC
Huh? Lol, Joe, no phones have used NiCd for maybe 10 years now, and Li-ion has been the chosen technology for the most part since the millenium, even my Siemens S25i, which was released in 1998, has a 750mAh Li-ion battery. NiCd isnt even a good a technology for phones, as they are low power draining, dont require surge currents and dont need to have extremely low levels of self-discharge, which basically wipes any advantages of NiCd out and puts at a severe disadvantage when compared to higher capacity Li-ion and NiMh.

haha yeah, sorry my bad. I've not had many phones and I just remember my first one having a Ni-cad battery and it was utter shat.

Li-ion batteries still dont last long when you charge them when theyre not fully discharged.

Autowirral.co.uk - The Northwest's Biggest forum of Motoring Enthusiasts.
Cruisewirral.com - The Northwest's Biggest forum of Modified Car Enthusiasts.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Yeh i like the D600's always wanted one but neva got around to getting one,
then I ended up with a e900 some how (shrugs). The D900 has quite a
big screen but if you use the camera alot i wudnt recommend it for indoor
but outdoor be ok i think.

Originally Posted by MattyC
I wasnt aware that the D600 had a flash

Am not sure about the D600's with flashes but on the e900 ther is a setting you
can either make it flash or make the light turned on permanent

So to make things clear all the phones menstioned above are:

Samsung D600 - Around £80 brand new
Samsung D900 - About £120+ brand new

Sony Ericsson K750i - Around £80 brand new
Sony Ericsson K800i - About £130 brand new

(Prices are from Carphonewarehouse website so its around that price range but i wudnt
say its fully accurate)

Theres more but Matty jst natters an throws a bunch of expensive phone models on. grin . I missed the nokia's because there expensive as ever! N95 is like £460+

The most in favor are:

Samsung D600
Sony Ericsson K800i

It just depends on the price as Matty has said but overall Matty wud win with the choice of the K800i as it is a far better phone but for the amazing value of the D600 you cant beat a bargain wink

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Pomp
Theres more but Matty jst natters an throws a bunch of expensive phone models on. grin . I missed the nokia's because there expensive as ever! N95 is like £460+

Ahem, excuse me Gnaeus, it was Whelan who bought the Nokia's into play lol! I didnt mention them till he mentioned the N95.

To be fair to the N95, it is that price tag simply because technically, it is far superior to the K800i/D600/D900, I mean it even has a GPS chip and EU mapping software on it. Not to mention the powerful processor and large high res screen etc...

But its a totally different phone, aimed at a totally different market.

smile

Waddi Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
K800i
had a go with one of these, great camera but the screen is too small and I'm pretty sure the k800i doesnt have mutiple input for one contact.

Matty, I notice you say you had a 6680, do you still have it, is it for sale?

Waddi

[Linked Image]
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
No sorry matey, got rid about 2 years ago, I used to love Symbian phones, had the 6600, 6630, 6680 and then the N70.

But I got the K800i cos I realised all I use a phone for really is making calls and sending texts. Sold me K800i for £320 just before Christmas lmao!

grin

Waddi Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
didnt think the 6680 was symbian...

I mainly send texts, few phone calls, take photos, view 3mp photos that have been taken on my digital camera then transferred to my phone via my laptop, view lengthy video that has been converted to 3gp, listen to mp3's but would like to be able to listen to WMA aswell.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mark 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am