WikiWirral is where great friendships are made.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 8,070 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#158371 13th Jun 2007 11:04am
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by BBC News
Windows users are being urged to install the June package of security patches from Microsoft.

The security update contains six patches which close 15 vulnerabilities found in a variety of Windows programs.

The patches help to shut loopholes in Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Windows Mail and Windows Vista.

More than half the releases are rated as "critical" which often means they can be exploited without a PC owner's knowledge or consent.

Now its unclear as to which OS's this actually affects, it seems to be just Vista, but as always, in the interest of security, you should run a Windows Update check no matter what OS you are using.

Microsoft Windows Update

BBC News Report

Google Ads
I'm in computer support and always get bombarded with these.

To solve all secutiry issues just get a mac. really i'm not kidding, i have not got one myself but e.g. last year over 160,000 probably more viruses for pc's. mac's "0"

want to know why?

Apple work on security first and make sure that every release is bug free and more importantly "works". this is why their os's look so much better than windows because they have the time to think about the users "experience" rather than trying to block the leeky holes in their software.

Also if you took a mac out of the box you can be on the internet within 30 min unlike a pc.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
woke up to day with MS auto rebooting in the night.

Gits.. i hate it when it does that..

where's me work from last night gone mad

MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by MadJon
I'm in computer support and always get bombarded with these.

To solve all secutiry issues just get a mac. really i'm not kidding, i have not got one myself but e.g. last year over 160,000 probably more viruses for pc's. mac's "0"

want to know why?

Apple work on security first and make sure that every release is bug free and more importantly "works". this is why their os's look so much better than windows because they have the time to think about the users "experience" rather than trying to block the leeky holes in their software.

Also if you took a mac out of the box you can be on the internet within 30 min unlike a pc.

I think it is wrong for you to say that everyone should be on Mac's etc. Yes, they have less virus's and less holes, but there is good reason for this, all of which dont actually benfit the consumer much, in fact the majority actually hinder the consumers enjoyment and practicality of the system. BTW, I can have a Windows NT PC online within 20 seconds out of the box, so I don't understand what exactly you are going on about with regards to that lol.

There is actually a virus for the mac now, a trojan, which came about last year. Its called Leap-A iirc, and its the first major virus to hit OSX.

Mac's arnt generally immune from virus's because Apple think about security, there are a number of reasons why mac's are free from virus's when compared to Windows and Linux:

1. Windows and Linux are far more commonly used then OSX will ever be - 97%+ of residential consumers use Microsoft Windows NT/9x and 95%+ of dedicated servers run Linux/FreeBSD/Debian. People don't tend to make mallicious software for OS's that arnt used. BeOS hasnt had a single virus made for it for instance, but then nobody uses it. If I wanted to write a virus that I wanted to affect millions of people and be spread very easily, I would write it for Windows or Linux as they are by far the most popular OS's.

2. MacOS/OSX is built heavily on Unix. In fact the core of the OS is pretty much fully Unix, but with a fancy GUI, similar to what Linux is. The reason why Linux has become very prone to Virus's is because over the years of development, people have developed software for the OS and developed the OS's themselves in a way that means Linux is gradually moving Linux further and further away from its Unix roots. People ask me all the time if they are the same. They are, or at least there were extremely similar, but nowadays, even the most competent Unix admin can struggle to control say the latest released on CentOS 5.x or Fedora Core 7, and vice versa with the most competent Linux admins. Native Unix can also be bit more complicated to code for then Linux, and with the majority of virus writers being used to Windows/Linux, most find it difficult to write for OSX.

3. MacOS/OSX owe's a lot of its secureness to the way the OS actually works and executes files. The primary advantage is that nothing can be executed on the system unless authorised by the end user. So it is hard for a virus to self-replicate and spread because before it can do so, it has to be executed by the user. As the majority of mac users are "professionals", they tend to have some idea of how to keep the system secure and what to be watching out for. This is another reason why virus writers can't be bothered to try writing a virus for OSX.

4. Apple havent particuarly worked hard on the security of OSX, they have just not opened it up in the same way that Microsoft have opened up Windows. Also, the majority of the Windows source code is freely available in the public domain, likewise with Linux obviously because its GNU GPL. Apple are very select over who they allow the source code to be seen by and to what extent they allow it. This makes the job of writing virus's for it even harder still. This has some MASSIVE drawbacks though, primarily being the fact that 3rd party applications become limited and the software becomes far more expensive. Windows is the worlds favourite OS because it can do just about everything a user wants it to do, and the software is cheap (within reason) because there are so many 3PD's doing the same thing and in the same market, the competition forces down prices. It's also a LOT easier to code software for Windows as well as the fact anyone can release a piece of software for Windows without needing a license to do so (we only have to look at what Apple did with IEEE1394 for instance to see how bad their licensing schemes can be).

5. And on top of all this, we have to remember that Apple's make a greater use of RISC then their CISC IBM/C counterparts. Not only can this be in some ways a more secure format from the off, but it also in a few ways, add more troubles for someone attempting to code for it if they are only used to a CISC background and OS. Don't forget that for all its advantages, RISC cant pull of the level of executions that CISC can.

Whilst I would love a Mac and OSX has certainly come on leaps and bounds since the days of MacOS 8.x etc, its still not generally a user friendly system and will never compete with Windows on functionality or the range of software available for it. It is seen by many as very minimalist and a bit too restrictive. Vista has stepped towards OSX in terms of both security and interface, but Microsoft have held back going too far because you comprimise usability. Apple don't, and I suspect never will, market the mac or OSX as an operating system for the masses. The main reason Apple and Microsoft are now slowly starting to become allied is because they are aiming at different markets. Apple is quite happy and content to provide solutions for the high end professional market, and their systems are priced accordingly. Microsoft on the other hand aims their solutions at the lower end and general consumer market. Both companies are trying to make inroads into the server industry, but I doubt either actually will within the next 5 years. The fact that cPanel, the worlds most popular hosting software by far, have no release for either OSX or Microsoft Windows Server signifies how little ground they have made in the industry.

smile

MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Mark
where's me work from last night gone mad

Amazingly, some goon thought of something in the 70's that was really stupid - its called save and guess what, it saves your work incase the un-expected happens wink

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I aint even gunna bother reading you previous post Matty as it'll be far too detailed

Autowirral.co.uk - The Northwest's Biggest forum of Motoring Enthusiasts.
Cruisewirral.com - The Northwest's Biggest forum of Modified Car Enthusiasts.
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
looooool

smile

Moderated by  Mark 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am