WikiWirral yrs online 24/7 365 days a year.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (3 invisible), 8,139 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mark Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Motorists with points won't be penalised with higher insurance premiums

An insurance company is no longer automatically penalising motorists with points on their licence due
to the rise in the number of speed camera convictions, it has been revealed.

The Swinton insurance company said insurance providers were "having to accept that points alone
can no longer be used as a yardstick for driver evaluation".

And the company added that drivers with six points or more on their licence could soon be viewed by
insurance companies as "standard" rather than "non-standard" drivers.

Motorists who incur 12 penalty points over a period of three years are liable to be disqualified.

The anti-speed camera group Safe Speed said the Swinton move showed that cameras were damaging the penalty points system.

Swinton said that with 6,000 speed cameras on the road catching two million speeders every year and drivers using hand-held mobile phones now incurring three-point penalties, "an unblemished licence is becoming rare".

Neil Ackinclose of Swinton added: "Over the last few years we have seen a dramatic increase in the number of drivers with penalty points requesting insurance.

"A few years ago insurers might have assumed that a motorist with six or more points on their license was a reckless driver, but that is no longer necessarily the case.

"A 2006 YouGov survey estimated that 16 per cent of drivers now have points on their licence.

"As that figure continues to grow - with some estimating the actual number of drivers with points to be in the region of 10 million - insurance providers are having to accept that points alone can no longer be used as a yardstick for driver evaluation."

Safe Speed founder Paul Smith said: "Insurance companies are in the business of calculating risk to set their premiums.

"This announcement is all the proof we need to know that driving licence points no longer indicate risky drivers.

"The vast majority of licence points are for speeding offences detected by camera.

"The Department for Transport's needless and ineffective obsession with speed cameras has therefore seriously damaged the penalty points system."

Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
An excellent move.

There are very few people I know with a full clean licence, even the best drivers.

Perhaps it might be worth getting a quote?

Autowirral.co.uk - The Northwest's Biggest forum of Motoring Enthusiasts.
Cruisewirral.com - The Northwest's Biggest forum of Modified Car Enthusiasts.
Forum Master
Forum Master
yeh it is a good move. will b gettin a quote when my insureince is up

[Linked Image]
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
An excellent move Joe??

Firstly, its something that has been done for ages by many insurance companies, its just the first time a company has made it actual policy.

Secondly, its a VERY bad move as it now encourages drivers to speed and drive dangerously, as they will soon feel that they can get upto 6 points and it wont even affect them.

And thirdly, why should we all pay the same price (I, and many people I know dont have points) for insurance, when its people who speed and drive dangerously and end up having accidents that make insurance costs so high.

I strongly disagree with them making insurance costs the same even for drivers with 6 points, they have got these points through dangerous driving one way or another, speed IS dangerous driving.

I personally believe this is more a marketing scam, which ultimately will lead to mass abuse of the current safe driving laws, as people will begin to see points as near-meaningless.

thumbsdown

Mark Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Simple why should you be fined twice ?

1. The Ticket.
2. Your insurance.

Well done swinton for making a stand.
If i had points for speeding i would be calling them smile

Point discussed on Northwest Tonight by swinton insurance,

Points do not show if your a careless / dangerous driver.
Convictions do that.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Wow I cant believe you are all agreeing with it, without considering the consequences of speeding. Twice in the last 2 years I have been doing ~30mph in built up area's and kids have run out into the road from behind park cars (once in Leasowe, once in the North End), and had I been doing 35mph, I would have hit them for sure.

35mph may not seem like speeding in a 30mph limit, even 40mph may not, but it DOES cause accidents, and DOES cause fatalities in some unfortunate situations.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Mark
Convictions do that.

In that case then, lets fook the speed laws you are basically saying, lets just drive at whatever speeds we want to, as just becuase someone got 3 points for doing 41mph in a 30mph limit, they were still driving as safe as possible and at no increased risk of having an accident.

Jeeze do you think the speed limits on non-motorway/dual carriageway routes are put in place to piss drivers off? They are there to help prevent accidents, and to help prevent fatalaties as a result of accidents. As a driver, we forget how vulnerable pedestrians can be.

If one of your family was hit by a driver doing 35mph in a 30mph limit zone, and ended up injured as a result, maybe even seriously, and it was found that had he travelling at less then 32mph in all likelyhood the accident wouldnt have happened, you would soon change your mind and realise that insurance companies charging higher premiums for points DOES deter drivers from speeding/driving dangerously. And you would be calling for them to be prosecuted. Yet its fine in your view at the moment, and its not dangerous driving to be doing so...

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Mark

Convictions do that.

exactly.

Yes, an excellent move.

My insurance is extremely high as is with all newer drivers (i.e. less than 2 years) The only way for me to get lower insurance atm is to move to a better area (not likely), give up driving (which I have done temporarily just to save money from insurance), lie about my endorsements (which I don't want to do as it will invalidate my insurance) or build up my no claims - which I can't actually do as I can hardly afford insurance in the first place!

In no way will it encourage dangerous driving - why would it? "Oh, it's ok, I'll just drive round like an idiot because my insurance is low"

Don't forget, the 6 points within your first 2 years and you're back to a learner still applies.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Okay so it seems the people in this thread agree with and condone speeding... fair enough, but I just hope to god none of you dont have a member of your family or a friend hit and injured as a result of a speeding driver.

Forum Master
Forum Master
an if u do end up getting 6 points in the 1st 2 years u have 2 do the 2 years over again

[Linked Image]
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I dont agree with or condone speeding.

Its not all about speeding - what about parking offences, or that section 59 act?

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
I dont agree with or condone speeding.

The reason its come in is because of the high amount of drivers getting fixed penalties for speeding.

Fixed penalty notices are only issued 99% of the time if you do wrong. Very few are issued for reasons other then actual driving offences. Not indicating IS dangerous. Parking on double yellows CAN be dangerous to other drivers and pedestrians. Speeding IS dangerous. Full stop.

And by agreeing that drivers should not be penalised on their insurance for things like speeding, you are condoning speeding and the insurance companies are removing one of the deterrents for people not to want to speed.

Mark Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Speed camera's are the deterrents for speeding.
Coppers in a car.
A van on a hill.

Not that your insurance is going to be higher.

Originally Posted by MattyC
and the insurance companies are removing one of the deterrents for people not to want to speed.

Its not the insurance companies responsibility to enforce speeding laws or fines.

I Hope this starts a trend amongst other insurance groups.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I give up, people seem to agree that speeding should not be punished and the people who dont speed (or at least get caught doing so) should pay the same price as the ones who do speed and yet are less likely to have an accident. Speeding is dangerous driving at the end of the day.

The only real deterrent for speeding to most people is the fact that insurance premiums rise more then anything, especially drivers under the age of 24, when this is removed, people wont be so worried.

Either way, its just a marketing scam by Swinton imho, they have been in decline for years.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
it isnt a deterrent though, its a punishment afterwards, ontop of a fine, points, ban, or revert back to a learner.

As your a man of your business-voted ways, I'll put it another way - it also affects businesses too.
If one of their drivers has points from an incident outside of work, their insurance increases so not only is it the individual that is affected.

Same goes with young drivers trying to afford a better way of getting around on their parents policies - insurance prices increase for them too, and they might not even have any points themselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am