Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,347
Posts1,033,259
Members14,550
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (3 invisible), 10,089 guests, and 527 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
JohnC, Luke2307, jharwood, TamTam, mrbigglesworth
14,550 Registered Users
New General Forums
Do we need Trident?
by derekdwc - 20th Jan 2016 1:11pm
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Looking for Joneses
by Markjon88 - 11th Apr 2019 7:06am
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 15
casper 14
bri445 4
Topic Replies
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:20pm
Gaza
by granny - 15th Mar 2024 10:13pm
Get your Money Tree ready
by StellaSimmons - 11th Mar 2024 11:50am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by bri445 - 4th Mar 2024 5:54pm
Xbox
by TudorBlue - 3rd Mar 2024 8:48pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by Abakumss - 2nd Mar 2024 3:52pm
Oleo Works
by diggingdeeper - 1st Mar 2024 11:51pm
Wiper mechanism needed
by Gibbo - 28th Feb 2024 12:29pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Originally Posted by MerseyMan
Mr 'mad dog' Martin did technology...electronics I think, he was my form teacher for 5 years, good salt of the earth bloke but not to be crossed for whatever reason.
Mr Rooke, Georgraphy in my first and second year laid into all the 'wet behind the ears gang' made nicknames for everyone...mine was Tonto....anyway...
Mr Brame...English chilled out bearded bloke who got waaay too much stick in Park High..still see him sometimes on the train on the way to work...Park high nearly drove him to breaking point...well some people in our year did.
Mr Buttery...My graphics teacher, another old school teacher who was down to earth, ex rugby player I think, got on with everyone but another man not to get on the wrong side of.
Miss Weekes west country buxom georgraphy teacher who was very chilled out....
Miss/Mrs Mckenzie my set 2 English teacher very knowledgable teacher even though she looked like penguin out of batman lol
The usual early years PE teachers Mr Williams who sported a Guile out of streetfighter haircut (very 80's) (usually seen with fellow female PE teachers) Miss Gidman, Miss/Mrs Lancely PE teachers.
Music with Mr Gregory, didn;t take long for him to flip his lid and Mr 'Wacko Jacko' Jackson, taught me RE then went onto Music cant really describe that one lol.
History in my first years Mr Birney great fella RIP
Miss Jones for Biology (I don't know what she looks like now 13 years on but she was fine then)
Miss Robinson Social Studies another nice female of the time.....loads more but since I'm at work you can bugger off I have lunch to eat haha

Take care

MerseyMan I think we may have been at Park at similar time. I was there 1986-1991.
I was in A1.
Taught by:
Maths - Mr Campbell (faggy breath, possibly the most melancholic teacher there) all the way through
English - Mrs Chape (very down-to-earth) then Miss Elding (despaired of us and verbalised this every lesson)
French - Mr Finch (dirty old man), Mrs Morgan (German teacher who couldn't teach French and made us all cheat on the oral exam), Miss Shanahan (pencil skirts - lads liked her)
Science - Miss Ramsay (missing link), Mr Kinsell (large boil on head), Mr Griffiths (jolly little welshman), Mr Winch (beaker off the muppets), Dr Bottan (sounded camp but married with kids), etc
Geography - Miss Boyle (loved her handouts), then Rooke (used to offer me polos from his trouser pocket just to freak me out - disturbed man, thought he was funny)for GCSE
I had Mr Martin for CDT - he was the best in my estimations - we thought his first name was Hamish and approached him with this once - he went mental lol
Music - Mr Gregory (popping head vens)/Mr Jackson (drainpipe trousers)
History - Mr WImpress (foul temper, thought he was funny)
RE - Miss Russell
Food Technology - Mrs Lloyd ('if you can spell Torolominos for your holidays you can spell diverticulitis!)
Needlework - Miss Wardle (creepy)
Art - Mrs Oakley (use your right-brain), Mrs Whitehead, Mr Dimolo (nice bloke, wore a brown caretaker's coat for some reason)
PE - Miss Crolla, Miss Lanseley, Miss Dean

Hi!

You brought back so many memories of Park High, lower and upper school as it was in my day.

Park High...I was there from 1983 to 1988 and didn't like it. Educational standards were not that good and we had a lot of temporary teachers. The first two years were in the lower school by Claughton Village. That is now some sports college. The main people I remember from there are Mr Voce who was Deputy Head and I can't remember the headmaster's name, but he used to let his dog on that sacred acre when we were not allowed on the grass. The name Wood-Griffths comes to mind. Mr Finch was the French teacher and I couldn't stand him, even though he did have a nice car in those days, a beige RS2000 that got pinched. He used to wear black trousers and a white suit jacket and often come in with a black eye! He said it was from playing squash, we heard a very different story about another teacher's wife etc. He used to live in Wallasey, but someone told me he had taken to living in a motorhome in recent years. Mrs Banfi was the English teacher, completely useless, Mr Topping was a very very strange games teacher who used to watch all the boys as they were in the showers. We all complained about this. He used to have one of those MG BGT cars and would sit in it watching us play rugby in the rain on the playing fields by Park Road East. He used to live down at the bottom of Ford Hill as he used to tell us all and took 30 of us on a weekend Outward Bound course to "Oaklands" in Wales. Mr Smith was the geography teacher. Mr Astbury was the maths teacher at that stage, not a deputy head yet, that was in later years! We were taught without calculators in those days. Mr Malone was Biology, there was also a Mr Peck for English. He went to work in the 6th form college which was previously a school known as Bishop Challinor, they had a vile brown uniform. Maybe a Mrs Beacall for English too. I hated her too as she had her little favourites and complained about me wearing white socks. We all used to do it. Mr Gregory for Music was funny, he definitely had a problem with blood pressure. When we took no interest in his lesson he went wild.

When I got to the upper school in Park Road South I couldn't wait to leave. We had Mr Finch for French again, Mr Astbury for maths and Mr Maguire for maths (who went out with someone I now work with while she was in the 6th form), Mr Leat was the German teacher who also appeared "strange". Many stories about what literature was found in his staffroom locker, probably none of it true. Mr Malone was Biology and had only just left university, so was a laugh as a teacher. Miss Mathews was the RE teacher who was way out like a hippy and I can't remember who the other one was, even if she was my form teacher for years. Possibly a Miss Russell. The geology teacher was Mr Taylor who took us on trips to Thurstaston to draw bits of rock. Miss Semple for art, she was a nasty person trying to humiliate people in class all the time if they couldn't draw. I was thrown out of her class one day because I was no good at drawing people.
CDT was one of my favourite lessons with Mr Martin. He said to me one day that he appreciated a good piece of engineering with one of my projects for the GCSE exam. He was sick of all the girls making silly plastic toys! There was another teacher that worked with him and it might have been Mr Kinnear. I remember one day my hacksaw blade snapped as I was sawing a piece of metal in a vice. My wrist went right across the metal and put a 3inch slice in it from my hand up my arm, there was blood everywhere. When I went over to Mr Martin to ask for a plaster he nearly fainted and had to sit down in his little office. The other teacher put a plaster over it and I still have the scar to this day.
The physics teacher was about 90 and possibly Mr Kinsell, he had a huge lump like a nipple on his head that we used to laugh at. He was known affectionately as "tit head". Chemistry was a favourite lesson of mine, for the life of me I can't remember the teacher's name, he was tall, fat and had a black moustache - Mr Griffiths? That's going to annoy me all night now - I still have a load of my old school books and reports so will check when I get a minute.

I hated nearly every day of school so made sure I got an apprenticeship for when I left in 1988. The careers teacher was a waste of space, he never advised any of us when we said what we would like to do after leaving school. After 2 weeks of freedom I started in my first job, and have had a few since, but do something very different these days to what I did when I left school. I've even been on the dole a few times about 5 years after leaving school.

The main problem we had was poor teachers and idiots in the class that would mess about and ruin it for everyone else who wanted to learn.

The school on Park Road South has now had pupils from other schools incorporated in to it and lost it's name. I had some pupils with me a few months ago for work experience and they said it's now "University Academy" - and still rubbish. I often ask if they remember any of the teachers I knew.

So that's brought a lot of memories back, our class were even chosen to be prefects one year!!! I am not sure how the classes are now, but when I was there we had what were known as "streams" - P, A and R. I started in 1P2 and was in 5P2 when I left in 1988. There were houses too, Park, High and School and we got "house points" for doing various things and good work. It was like a competition and results announced at the assembly. My school day in 1P2, 2P2 were from 9am to 12.05 then back at 1.30pm until 4pm. That changed in the final 3 years to start at 9am, second bell at 9.02am (late after that!) until 12 and from 1.15 until 3.40pm. Something like that anyway.

On the way in the main gate of the Upper School on Park Road South was the caretaker's house on the right, then the boys changing rooms and gym. We had to go to the end and left, in through the door. There was some mad rule about walking UP the middle staircases only and down the ones at the sides. There were loads of mobile classrooms in the main playground by the CDT and technical drawing rooms.

School is one thing I don't miss, in a way Park High let the pupils down. From what various pupils we have for work experience say, it sounds as bad today as it was when I was there.

Thanks for the memories anyway. Sorry if the post is too long. I must read the rest of the posts now!

Google Ads
Originally Posted by 2005wireman
Mr maddocks History Very Good History Teacher.
Mr devitt english Very Good English Teacher Had a bet on his team arsenal losing against liverpool I won and he stuck to his part of the bet No english home work for a month.
Mr. Maguire Maths Sh-te Maths Teacher.
Mrs Potter English.
Mrs Stockdale History Nice Teacher But could Bite back if you got on the wrongside of her.
Mr Oulton History teacher Top Bloke.

Happy Days

I remember Stockdale, she could be a bit nasty if you said something she didn't like. Mr Oulton was the head of year when I went to the upper school in Park Road South. He was OK. They were some of the names I couldn't remember!

Just discovered this Forum as was trying to locate a few people I knew way back when I as at PHS.
It's a real laugh reading through the posts and hearing of other people's experiences there and recognising many of the teacher's names.
I went to PH upper school from 1972-75 so, I suppose, I must have been at PH lower school from 1969-72, or thereabouts.
The name Astbury gives me a chill. A great big lanky, creepy guy who taught us maths in lower school (in one of the top rooms in the old building). He used to bully me in every lesson. He would pick on me for doing absolutely nothing but sitting there and call "Michael Bow" (my surname then was Ball but he was a Cockney and couldn't pronounce it properly). He'd come over and haul me up by one of my sideburns and waggle me about making a tit of me in front of everyone. I was bright red with blushing then he'd make me stand in the corner, the side of my head swollen where he had pulled my hair. What a horrible wa**er, if I saw him now I'd probably give him a slap as I had a phobia about maths after that (or, at least, that's my excuse!).
I remember someone setting fire to the TD room curtains at lower school through the window with an effing great magnifying glass (I can remember the bloke's name, it was Derek McMahon). The fire bobbies had to come and the school was evacuated while they put the fire out just in time.
Someone mentioned the Park High Trophy. That was the miniature cricket bat awarded for the best sports team or something. However, it was used to punish errant boys who dared step out of line during games/PE and the main (and willing) user of it was BASHER BAIL. Mr Bail was a psycho, you just didn't mess with him. I reckon he must have been ex-army or something as he was as fit as a fiddle and as hard as nails.
Wood-Griffiths - ah yes, I remember him well enough. Used to strut around with an air of superiority although I think he was a good teacher, though I didn't have him. I was in A2/2A2/3A2 and he taught the P-streamers. Wood-Griffiths once sang to the school on stage but I don't remember anyone being much impressed. Very dapper looking chap and definitely a career teacher and heading for the top.
I remember Hurworth too. Ho was OK, a bit too laid back, but could be a real tw*t if he wanted to be. Used to fancy himself as a bit of a dandy driving round in his Citroen 2CV looking like a Frenchman in his hooped tee shirts (I think he even wore a beret). He lived in Oxton for a while, near to where I lived.
Cor, this has really stirred up a few memories for me and they are starting to come out of my head having been locked up for nearly forty years. I'll jot down a few more another time. Are we allowed to mention peoples names we knew, or is this forbidden under the forum/posting rules?

MickyDee.

Last edited by MickyDee; 13th Aug 2013 5:09pm.
Oh yes I remember him

I was also remembering

Mr topping games great with the rugby
Mr astbury maths had a big slipper in his draw to smack your arse if you misbehave
Miss moreton art she was a sexy red head
Mr kinsell science boring voice
Miss banfi English very very nice

Wood griffiths was in the lower school , upper school mr Hobson
Mr astbury kept a big slipper in his draw

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Pfloyd123
upper school mr Hobson

Mr Hopson, ex deputy at Rock Ferry High School. Taught English at Rock Ferry

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Xbox
by TudorBlue - 3rd Mar 2024 8:48pm
Possible Cause of Dementia
by diggingdeeper - 22nd Feb 2024 2:08am
Wiper mechanism needed
by Peter0787 - 20th Feb 2024 4:07pm
For Sale & Free
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
TheComputerLab
TheComputerLab
Wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
Floral pavilion promo code?
by TheComputerLab - 31st Dec 2018 2:11pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am
New Enthusiast Forums
Xbox