WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
11 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,906 guests, and 508 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by mikeeb
How is this a brownfield site?
As far as I'm aware, there has been no building on this site.

In my simplistic world:- when it was football pitches It was not greenfield, domestic, agricultural or public, it was developed for commercial use which now it is disused makes it brownfield? Basically it is land that has been developed in the past for non-agricultural use.

There are a number of definitions of brownfield. Some merely state land that has previously been developed, some add that a structure has to have been present, some state that there has to be a risk of contamination being present.

I would argue that a football field is a structure as it is recognisable, created by man to a design, not a natural feature and materials are used to construct it, especially when you consider drainage systems etc.

I would also argue that being immediately next to an old rubbish tip it would be reasonable to assume there is a risk of contamination being present, not to mention the old pesticides and other chemicals that may have been used over the 100 years (or whatever) it was allotment gardens dating back before 1850 when elf and safe-tea and identification of contaminants wasn't an issue. There is also a risk that asbestos sheds may have been used on the allotments. I certainly wouldn't certify it as contamination free without inspection and testing with those two histories.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Google Ads
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I still wouldn't class it as brownfield though. You get football fields in parks, I don't think that makes that part of the park brownfield? And as far as I know, allotments don't make it brownfield either.

Regarding other sites available, there are huge swathes of land on the old Bidston Dock and Wallasey Bridge Road. There is also that huge dump on Cleveland Street. However, I don't know if they are available.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Bidston Dock area is owned by Peel Holdings (or whatever today's name is), they will not sell and the outline usage of that land has already been designated, some clearance work took place not long ago.

The dump on the corner of Cavendish Street and Cleveland Street is in the middle of legal controversy, unless the buyer would be willing to take on blanket legal liability I can't see it going anywhere. Though I'm sure the Council would be willing to oil the works for that plot of land as currently it is a thorn in their side. Although the site does meet the correct planning designation, it is prime industrial land being approved for B2 and B8 categories and will be priced appropriately, it was bought W & J Kern Properties around three years ago.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
it was bought W & J Kern Properties around three years ago.

I should correct that, W & J Kern Properties took possession three years ago, they already owned it for a number of years before (at least prior to 2008) and it was leased to the previous company Eco Recycling (NW) Ltd

Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
Well after a second meeting and all due consideration, the land will not be sold to West Wallasey, or should I say gifted at that price?

The use of the fields as a football and cricket pitch were for the sole use of Mosslands school via WBC so not a designated public playing field.

Thanks to all those that signed the petition, and those that also used a dedicated site to highlight the possible sale and misuse of this land.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
The next move could be West Wallasey putting in outline planning permission for the current rugby and football club's pitches with a view of using that land for their storage and re-develop the Mosslands pitches for the rugby and football clubs. That would be much harder to prevent happening and is probably cheaper for them in the long term.

Or perhaps they will move away from the Wirral taking jobs with them.

Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
The next move could be West Wallasey putting in outline planning permission for the current rugby and football club's pitches with a view of using that land for their storage and re-develop the Mosslands pitches for the rugby and football clubs. That would be much harder to prevent happening and is probably cheaper for them in the long term.

Can't see that happening DD, they already monopolise the majority of the Cross Lane site, I believe all the Jobs that they promised would have be short term, preparing the parking site, most of the jobs are administration on that site, the delivery drivers unload the cars and park them up, the office on Leasowe Road deals with the Hire part of the business, so not a lot of scope for creating jobs.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by casper
Well after a second meeting and all due consideration, the land will not be sold to West Wallasey, or should I say gifted at that price?

The use of the fields as a football and cricket pitch were for the sole use of Mosslands school via WBC so not a designated public playing field.

Thanks to all those that signed the petition, and those that also used a dedicated site to highlight the possible sale and misuse of this land.

Good ! happy

Why does it have to be in Wallasey anyway ? Plenty of brown sites in other areas of Wirral, as there's a West Wallasey hire place at Sparks Lane, Pensby.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Can't see that happening DD, they already monopolise the majority of the Cross Lane site, I believe all the Jobs that they promised would have be short term, preparing the parking site, most of the jobs are administration on that site, the delivery drivers unload the cars and park them up, the office on Leasowe Road deals with the Hire part of the business, so not a lot of scope for creating jobs.

The more vans they have, the more drivers they need, the more valets they need, the more repairs and servicing they need. There's a bit more to it than shiny-rsez shuffling papers and sharpening quills, there's a whole infra-structure behind it.

Originally Posted by granny
Why does it have to be in Wallasey anyway ? Plenty of brown sites in other areas of Wirral, as there's a West Wallasey hire place at Sparks Lane, Pensby.

As I asked earlier, where are these available brown sites, anything that is owned by Peel Holdings isn't up for grabs. Any land that can be developed for industry or housing is going to be priced as such but the biggest problem is the price of develop-able land is going up, people won't sell or long-term lease their investment. There's worse things to live next to than rental storage, you just have to put up with the sound of catalytic converts getting sawn off at night.

The old John Howarth site at Sparks lane, that's got very little storage, its basically a pick-up and drop-off site with a workshop, the vans are shuffled in and out. There is a very small plot of land beside it but I think I remember there's some sort of planning aggro/embargo.

Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master

The more vans they have, the more drivers they need, the more valets they need, the more repairs and servicing they need. There's a bit more to it than shiny-rsez shuffling papers and sharpening quills, there's a whole infra-structure behind it.

Originally Posted by granny

As I asked earlier, where are these available brown sites, anything that is owned by Peel Holdings isn't up for grabs. Any land that can be developed for industry or housing is going to be priced as such but the biggest problem is the price of develop-able land is going up, people won't sell or long-term lease their investment. There's worse things to live next to than rental storage, you just have to put up with the sound of catalytic converts getting sawn off at night.

The old John Howarth site at Sparks lane, that's got very little storage, its basically a pick-up and drop-off site with a workshop, the vans are shuffled in and out. There is a very small plot of land beside it but I think I remember there's some sort of planning aggro/embargo.

They lease the vans or hire them out, so they don't require driver's for every van, as far as I can gather it was just going to be a giant storage facility, vans dropped off or picked up by car transporter,easily organised by two people.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I'd love to see a car transporter move vans.

West Wallasey have over 300 staff, It works out at very roughly 50 vehicles per member of staff.

Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
[quote=diggingdeeper]I'd love to see a car transporter move vans.

West Wallasey have over 30years
0 staff, It works out at very roughly 50 vehicles per member of staff.

I am talking the small commercial type vans, they appear to be the majority type of vehicle they have stored at the moment, the larger type vans are the ones in daily use as hire vehicles along with a small fleet of cars, from what I can gather vehicles, will be delivered and picked up to take to other locations, skin to a vehicle staging area.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I'd love to see a car transporter move vans.

You see them on the motorway many times.

Loads more images here.
http://www.murrayhogg.co.uk/index.php/loading-a-vehicle

Attached Images
loaded-lorry-truck-car-distribution-transporter-trailer-to-transport-deliver-six-new-red-peugeot-expert-brand-of-vans-driving-on-motorway-england-uk-2F6PA64 (1).jpg
Last edited by mikeeb; 13th Oct 2021 9:48am.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am