Welcome to WikiWirral, sharing is what we do best.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (3 invisible), 8,139 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mikeeb Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
The council are proposing to empty the green bin every 3 weeks.
If my calculations are correct, that would mean that every 6th week, the green and black bins would be emptied on that week. Surely, you would need a larger workforce on that 6th week.

Many other proposals from our lovely Wirral Borough Council, like closing Europa Pools, and increasing parking charges here.
https://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/18956585.public-consultation-wirral-budget-options-starts-monday/

Google Ads
Old Hand
Old Hand
Does this mean the bin men have every third week off? Paid or unpaid ?

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by mikeeb
The council are proposing to empty the green bin every 3 weeks.
If my calculations are correct, that would mean that every 6th week, the green and black bins would be emptied on that week. Surely, you would need a larger workforce on that 6th week.

Many other proposals from our lovely Wirral Borough Council, like closing Europa Pools, and increasing parking charges here.
https://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/18956585.public-consultation-wirral-budget-options-starts-monday/

What are the alternatives? The Government continues to reduce Council funds, even stopping payments of money they promised the Councils.

They always collect both green and grey bins on the same day, just not in the same area at the moment, its like having two sets of crews.

What the Councils need to do is to take services back into public service again, whilst the privatisation rules have been relaxed the Government ensure there are a lot of hurdles to do this.

Never forget the Government has:-

Borrowed more money than ever before
Spent more money than ever before
But is reducing spending on the majority of the population.

We are being robbed of our own money.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
If they did decide to reduce bin collections - and that's not definite, it's just one of the things up for discussion - it'd make more sense to empty the grey bins every three weeks and green every fortnight; the grey bins would be less of a health hazard in warm weather.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Greenwood
If they did decide to reduce bin collections - and that's not definite, it's just one of the things up for discussion - it'd make more sense to empty the grey bins every three weeks and green every fortnight; the grey bins would be less of a health hazard in warm weather.

They have looked at this before, the concept is also to encourage more recycling by limiting Green bin availability compared to Grey bin availability.

There are a number of councils that have been running three weekly for some time now, a small number reverted to two weekly.

What doesn't help is that they think in terms of weight, but to the consumer the limitation is volume. I spent over an hour trying to get an official to understand the different aspect and I still don't think it they got it.

One thing I do against the guidelines is crush plastic bottles, they take up far too much space. In fact I crush everything that goes in the grey bin.

Note that the high tax paid on general waste (our Green bins) goes to the Government which is almost as perverse as window tax. Currently it is about £94 a tonne.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

Newbeee
Newbeee
It's the usual from the council , put council tax up and reduce services. I live very close to a lane that's regularly used for fly tipping so that will just get worse. The street cleansing crews usually stop on the lane for a break but won't go a few hundred yards further on to clear the fly tipped rubbish unless it's been reported! I see they've also decided to look at increasing car parking charges to cause even more problems for local shops. I don't know what the parking charges need to be to make up £10 million pound ! They've also trotted out the old one of closing the toilets but to be honest try and find one that's open ! I believe they spent £50,000 to put in the cash machines and locks but even they are locked. Usual excuse is it's because of Covid 19 but I don't think the government said close public toilets. As one of the many people with a health problem I rely on public toilets. Best thing the council can do is look around themselves at the well paid executives and save money there, not by reducing services and making people on the minimum wage with a proper job redundant. They could also take note of the phrase they've been trotting out - Love where you live.

mikeeb Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
They always collect both green and grey bins on the same day, just not in the same area at the moment, its like having two sets of crews.

They will need a bigger crew when the green and grey bins are collected on the same week in the same area, and this will push a lot of bin men to part time.

Originally Posted by Greenwood

The council are promoting recycling more, so emptying the grey bin every 3 weeks will just mean more recyclables end up in the green bin when the grey bin is full.

Originally Posted by Dougiem
It's the usual from the council , put council tax up and reduce services. I live very close to a lane that's regularly used for fly tipping so that will just get worse.

Fly tipping is usually done by illegal house and garden clearances, not bins overflowing.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by mikeeb
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

They will need a bigger crew when the green and grey bins are collected on the same week in the same area, and this will push a lot of bin men to part time.

No, they will be able to do it with less crews. It doesn't matter whether the grey and green is the same area or not, we could have always have our green and grey bins collected on the same day, it would take exactly the same number of crews.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Dougiem
It's the usual from the council , put council tax up and reduce services.

Its the usual from the Government, they control the Councils purse strings and let the Councils take the blame.

The Government has continuously eroded the Council's autonomy mainly by controlling their finances, if you don't do what the Government wants then the money further dries up or is taken off you.

The Councils are now highly dependent on Government grants which are discretionary and as such much of their income is ring-fenced.

The Government don't want the blame for anything while they are robbing the majority of the population.

Forum Master
Forum Master
Maybe they could call in their 0.4% "loans"

Wirral Council under fire after lending £50m to other authorities
https://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/16158508.wirral-council-fire-lending-50m-authorities/

Wiki Master
Wiki Master

They won't change the bin collections, there'd be rats on every street corner. They won;t close Europa , because it would be missed too much by the locals or the people from Liverpool who come across to use it. They will increase Parking Charges as usually happens when these things are put out for public consultation.

Interestingly, how many people and how are they informed about public consultations ? The Council have my email address but I never get notifications from them. It's all very cleverly controlled for the already hopeful result of inflicting more pain on those who work and struggle from day to day , the same as many others struggle.
We hear about peopIe unable to feed their children. Well, I can remember when there was a choice between travelling to work or eating. It's nothing new, but we didn't cry all the time.
So I bet any money, they again will punish those who struggle between earning a living and balancing the books, by increasing their council tax, and parking fees. On the flip side... council housing, free rent, benefits, free swims and can stay in bed all day if needed !

Last edited by granny; 23rd Dec 2020 7:44am.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
I don't understand how they could save money on bin collections, Biffa is the contractor, under the tendering process they would have put a bid in for the refuse and street cleansing contracts, I imagine this bid was accepted to cover a set period of time, the price tendered would cover that period of time, so for the council to save money they would have to take the money back from Biffa, they most probably have clauses written in, but both Biffa and the taxpayer would be shafted, maybe it's a too simplistic way to look at it. confused

Newbeee
Newbeee
So can we pay the council tax every other month then.

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am