WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,347
Posts1,033,259
Members14,550
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
8 members (3 invisible), 9,922 guests, and 520 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
JohnC, Luke2307, jharwood, TamTam, mrbigglesworth
14,550 Registered Users
New General Forums
Do we need Trident?
by derekdwc - 20th Jan 2016 1:11pm
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Looking for Joneses
by Markjon88 - 11th Apr 2019 7:06am
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 15
casper 14
bri445 4
Topic Replies
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:20pm
Gaza
by granny - 15th Mar 2024 10:13pm
Get your Money Tree ready
by StellaSimmons - 11th Mar 2024 11:50am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by bri445 - 4th Mar 2024 5:54pm
Xbox
by TudorBlue - 3rd Mar 2024 8:48pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by Abakumss - 2nd Mar 2024 3:52pm
Oleo Works
by diggingdeeper - 1st Mar 2024 11:51pm
Wiper mechanism needed
by Gibbo - 28th Feb 2024 12:29pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1080332 28th Oct 2020 12:35pm
mikeeb Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Most of us love New Brighton and would love to see it regain its glory days. There are a lot of things we would like to happen, like, don't knock down the Queens and replace it with ugly apartments. Although Fort Perch Rock is privately owned, can't something be done with it. Why is the marine lake not being used? When the New Palace is knocked down, don't build more apartments.

Our Lido Ltd are involed with the consultation for a new outdoor heated pool.
https://peoplespool.co.uk/news/new-brighton-consultation

"Wirral Council is developing a masterplan for New Brighton, which will set out a clear and shared vision to revitalise New Brighton over the next 15 years.

We want to hear your views to ensure the masterplan reflects what people want.

We want to find out what sort of place New Brighton could be and to get your views on the issues that the masterplan should address."
https://haveyoursay.wirral.gov.uk/1new-brighton-masterplan

Whether Wirral Council will act on your views remains to be seen, but hey-ho!

Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
A seaside resort is doomed to failure in the long term when you get rid of the seafront promenade in the favour of having shops. Why weren't the shops built on the inland side of the road.

The leaking water pipe supplying the Fort and Lighthouse should be repaired by the Council whether it is their responsibility or not, they are supposed to be promoting tourism. Nobody is absolutely sure who is responsible for the pipe but it is affecting tourism which benefits more businesses and people than just the Fort and Lighthouse.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I think any hope of reviving New Brighton as a holiday resort is doomed. Its existence depended on a population that basically couldn't afford to travel much or very far and that is no longer true.

People own cars, and can travel to to half the UK effortlessly. They can also afford to stay overnight and cheap air travel has extended their range to much of the world.

Far better to accept this, than to try to revive a dead past. As non-native of the town I find it deeply unattractive; in particular the large areas of treeless shrubless grass and the sea wall which blocks off all view of the sea.

It says little for the town when the most attractive feature is the supermarket. More people seem to visit that than anything else.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Very true Excoriator, I’ve never understood why some people rave about the dreary place.Turn off the life support.

Forum Master
Forum Master
Great to see such positive and optimistic views , I'm being sarcastic of course!
I for one would love to see New Brighton improved and be something that the kids and adults can enjoy . I have lovely memories of it as a child and even now I find it enjoyable when I go with grandkids..it could become a great place again..
I say bring it on and carry it through .

Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Build a new pier and bring the ferry boats back.

Not much scope to build more along the prom. Whoever was in planning when all that was decided needs a bomb underneath them. No vision for the future.
Not much scope for more car parking , so bring in the people via the ferry with a prom that gives various forms of entertainment. If they want a 'seaside resort' they need to think 'seaside'. That's donkey rides and candy floss, bumper cars and entertainers. Multi arts venue, local history museum, upside down house, the list is endless.
However, I thought Wirrla concil didn;t have any money ... so let's wait and see ! If I remember rightly , 20yrs ago they were covering the same initiative to re-vamp New Brighton. Unfortunately, most people don;t want to just sit and eat and drink all day !

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Master
Forum Master
Completely agree with you Granny , bringing back the pier would be great. Yes let's have abit of good old fashioned fun back in the resort . What's that saying ," what goes around , comes around " ,,something like that anyway ha....

Forum Addict
Online Content
Forum Addict
Sadly I am afraid Excoriator is right in what he says. The old wonderful days of pre wars New Brighton which continued into the 50s and 60s are gone and not recoverable. I remember many happy hours on the boating lake and in the two fairgronds. The vandals who started the late 60s fire that destroyed the tower and the storm which destroyed the swimming pool are two of the really defining moments in the downfall but even so cheap and easy air travel was already a big feature. We still love wandering along the prom, always a pleasant experience and lots of good stuff on the Floral. I hate to say it but we cannot recover the glory days of evey house having no vacancies signs in the front window.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Virtually all events that they put on in New Brighton are very well supported, people want to got there, they just need something to do apart from shopping and getting pissed.

Road Rallies
Wirral Shows
Circuses
Giants

The crazy golf has done very well despite my scepticism. Bubbles Cafe appears to do well.

The length of the dips seems to be an ideal location to put a long zip-wire which seems to be the rage at the moment. Implicitly this would involve a tower which would be a nod to history.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

I just can't agree, Salmon. Comparing New Brighton with another seaside resort which virtually hit rock bottom a few years ago, a town where I lived and worked, on the seafront, I believe it is possible .

That town has a new pier which opened last year, it has a fort, it has gardens, it has a theatre, just the same as New Brighton.

If council were so inclined, they could do so much to attract visitors. How about a road train to start with, to take people from the far end of parking along to Vale Park . Light the place up , have a Halloween Trail or a Pirates Trail/ guided walks. . What happened to the Classic Cars ? Promenade Photograph Competition, Punch and Judy (that might be a bit old hat but similar) ,Keep fit on the beach. Bank Holiday Pram race for charity. Bring back some fun . So many people have led such dull lives, they have no idea what used to be (not meaning you Salmon, more referring to those who make final decissions sitting on backsides) If a Pram Race isn't successful, no need to try it again . Have a Guy Fawkes Race next time ! What happened to the candel light parades ? Why not a New Brighton Carnival ?
We've left the EU , we don;t have to be part and parcel of their events programme any longer to get the funding, we can do this under our own steam, and make a showcase to our own culture and heritage , which in this area is unique.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Attached Images
land train.jpg

~Chief Seattle
mikeeb Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
I always wondered, why hasn't anything been built on the dips?
Do they want to leave as a flood defence or something?

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
They used to use it for the Wirral Show and other events such as the International Kite Festival but it could be utilised for so many things . Don;t give them ideas, Mikeeb.

Ice rink in the winter ? Christmas Market ? THey could easily build a wall aound the dips as protection from the weather. It wouldn't have to be very high. A dry stone wall with wire mess, would probably allow water through if it got flooded and disuade the stone thieves.

It wouldn;t have to be this high though. Thing is , Council would either have to spend some money or not spend any money. Choice is there's at the end of the day, not ours.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.. ( I actually believe we are on that merry- go- around now , unless we are going to the moon)

Attached Images
cea65435caa4293623d40ea72e7bc1ab.jpg
Last edited by granny; 30th Oct 2020 4:05pm.

~Chief Seattle
Forum Addict
Online Content
Forum Addict
I really do hope you are right Granny.It would be great for New Brighton to be a boom town again. What seems to put the kybosh on so many events like the kite festival etc. is insurance and of course health and safety. Punch and Judy is always popular at Llandudno and attracts lots of people..

mikeeb Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by granny
They used to use it for the Wirral Show and other events such as the International Kite Festival but it could be utilised for so many things . Don;t give them ideas, Mikeeb.

They will not be getting any ideas from me.
I definitely don't want anything built on them, they are fine as they are, and great for events. Shame the Wirral Show doesn't happen anymore. Why did they stop it?

Those walls you mention are 'gabion walls' and very easy on the eye, good idea Granny. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Xbox
by TudorBlue - 3rd Mar 2024 8:48pm
Possible Cause of Dementia
by diggingdeeper - 22nd Feb 2024 2:08am
Wiper mechanism needed
by Peter0787 - 20th Feb 2024 4:07pm
For Sale & Free
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
TheComputerLab
TheComputerLab
Wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
Floral pavilion promo code?
by TheComputerLab - 31st Dec 2018 2:11pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am
New Enthusiast Forums
Xbox