WikiWirral 17yrs online 24/7 365 days a year.
Forum Statistics
Posts1,029,081
Topics75,698
Members13,576
Forums65
Posts in last 24hrs17
Most Online14,906
Nov 23rd, 2019
Who's Online Now
39 registered members (Alex_Macmillan, 8 invisible), 1,155 guests, and206 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Social Media : Follow Us


Popular Topics(Views 7days)
224 car sales
New General Forums
Wild West (Leasowe)
by GaryFromWirral. 23rd Nov 2020 6:44pm
Sony PlayStation 5 sales
by _Ste_. 21st Nov 2020 9:46am
Ebay fraudsters
by _Ste_. 16th Nov 2020 12:23pm
Dominic Goings
by casper. 14th Nov 2020 9:48am
New Wirral History
Fairs Cameras - Bebington
by diggingdeeper. 23rd Nov 2020 4:08pm
Wirral Home Guard
by bridekirk. 12th Nov 2020 10:34pm
Genealogical Research - Macmillan
by Alex_Macmillan. 10th Oct 2020 11:57am
Outdoor swimming pools
by mikeeb. 30th Jun 2020 4:26pm
122 Wirral Hotel 97 Cleveland Street Russell St
by derekdwc. 4th Jul 2014 9:34pm
Forum Tips
Photo Gallery Forums
Boaty McBoatface takes shape
The gathering storm: Mersey waterfront today
Topic Replies
Tier 2 after lockdown
by diggingdeeper. 26th Nov 2020 12:58pm
MP's pay rise
by diggingdeeper. 26th Nov 2020 12:53pm
Gladstone Theatre Vandalised
by mikeeb. 26th Nov 2020 10:46am
Fairs Cameras - Bebington
by Excoriator. 26th Nov 2020 9:50am
Award for Corbyn ???
by diggingdeeper. 26th Nov 2020 1:30am
PS4 PRO 1TB 4K BOXED WITH PT SILENT HILLS
by _Ste_. 25th Nov 2020 4:58pm
Brexit Transition
by diggingdeeper. 25th Nov 2020 2:38pm
Rockferry high school fire
by cools. 24th Nov 2020 8:58pm
Oxton Flats
by AndyT. 24th Nov 2020 12:09pm
November
M T W T F S S
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30
Recent Posts : What's On ?
View Ranger
by mikeeb. 24th Nov 2020 10:42am
Pontins Southport
by mikeeb. 18th Nov 2020 1:13pm
Previous Topic
Next Topic
Print Topic
Rate Topic
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Our Earth #1079529
8th Sep 2020 9:02am
8th Sep 2020 9:02am
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 17,531
Wirral
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
granny  Offline OP
Wiki Master
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 17,531
Wirral

Considering it takes a few thousand years to find buried treasure and old artifacts relating to life on this planet, how is it we KNOW what the earth is made up from ?

The deepest drill was 12 kms in 1980s but according to science there are 6,371 kms to the centre of the earth ( in a straight line.) How do they know that ?

The centre of the earth is solid iron ! How do they know that ? Are they going on assumptions , because scientist do get things wrong, and if the earth should end, I wonder how would it end ? I can;t see it blowing up , but I can see humans destroying life in the not too distant future.

We seem to have come to a transition period atm from human activity to AI. This will surely be the beginning of the human senses, brain thought process and activity closing down. Is it fair on our gt grandchildren's children , if human birth is still available by then ?

We will come to an end as a human race, we have to , and will the scientist have handed over all their data to technology to decide who will be saved and who will not ? Will the sceintists regret their meddling into the future after the event , just like Robert Oppenheimer ?

What do you think ? How can we know the centre of the earth be solid iron ?

https://rockbout.weebly.com/layers.html

If members can't find something to discuss and expand on this , then I give up.


Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Google Ads
Re: Our Earth [Re: granny] #1079541
8th Sep 2020 1:37pm
8th Sep 2020 1:37pm
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 271
Wirral
B
BultacoAstro Offline
Addict
BultacoAstro  Offline
Addict
B
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 271
Wirral

Louis Armstrong What a Wonderful World
Unfortunately not a scientist thoe watched a Movie in late 70s called Soylent Green and living through the decades believe this could be one reality thoe with China playing the 3rd Reich believe Armageddon will be hear before sea dies

Re: Our Earth [Re: granny] #1079544
8th Sep 2020 4:22pm
8th Sep 2020 4:22pm
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 447
wallasey
sonylegs Offline
Smartchild
sonylegs  Offline
Smartchild
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 447
wallasey
I once had a pet budgie, gave it the binman in the end. It kept pecking me, evil little beast.

Re: Our Earth [Re: granny] #1079551
8th Sep 2020 5:29pm
8th Sep 2020 5:29pm
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 376
Wirral
P
philmch Offline
Old Hand
philmch  Offline
Old Hand
P
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 376
Wirral
http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20150814-what-is-at-the-centre-of-earth

Science is empirical. That is, it is about testing evidence and determining facts whether we like them or not.

The best thing about science is that it doesn't give a toss about idiot ideologies such as fascism, socialism, Christianity, or Islam.

Re: Our Earth [Re: granny] #1079552
8th Sep 2020 7:15pm
8th Sep 2020 7:15pm
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 922
Greasby
G
Greenwood Online content
Guardian
Greenwood  Online Content
Guardian
G
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 922
Greasby
That's a fascinating article about what is at the Earth's core; thanks for sharing it.

It might help if we step back from the Covid and Brexit worries and look at the big picture. I think the human race could well be likened to an unsightly rash on the skin of Gaia, really quite short-lived in the grand scheme of things. How the rash heals, and who survives, only time will tell. Some species will fail, some will thrive. Life in some sort will continue unless the environment becomes too hostile.

Modern technology is only as good as its weakest link, and is vulnerable to various outside influences. Solar storm = no internet, no satnav, no mobile communications etc etc. What price technological advances then? We already rely on it to an unhealthy extent.

Re: Our Earth [Re: granny] #1079553
8th Sep 2020 7:58pm
8th Sep 2020 7:58pm
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,908
Wirral
C
cools Offline
Forum Master
cools  Offline
Forum Master
C
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,908
Wirral
I’m thinking on same lines as you Greenwood, think one day all this technology will collapse and humans will have to go right back to good old survival mode. God knows how the young ones would survive without their mobile phones but somehow they would have to....
That is as you say if the Earth survives in some form or another, I’ll be long gone but worry for future generations but I guess they’ll just get in with it.
Mind Boggling eh!

Re: Our Earth [Re: philmch] #1079554
8th Sep 2020 10:45pm
8th Sep 2020 10:45pm
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 17,531
Wirral
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
granny  Offline OP
Wiki Master
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 17,531
Wirral
Originally Posted by philmch
http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20150814-what-is-at-the-centre-of-earth

Science is empirical. That is, it is about testing evidence and determining facts whether we like them or not.

The best thing about science is that it doesn't give a toss about idiot ideologies such as fascism, socialism, Christianity, or Islam.


Very interesting, and as it;s so late, I will read again in the morning because it's quite a lot to take in all at once, philmch. Science might not give a toss about ideologies etc, but science doesn''t have emotions either which are built in to the human race . However, science can strip that away if needed.

Relating to Greenwood and Cools, so much is now controlled by technology, we see what's happened over the last few months and how huge changes have been forced to control a bad situation.
I wonder, in this world of globalisation what could happen if one major player had complete overiding control of our technology. I'm sure that could easily happen one day. Absolutely everything could be brought to a standstill, petrol pumps, traffic lights, emergency calls, hospital theatres , all data relating to individuals ..... everything . Quite scary , the whole system would break down and anarchy take over.
That's how I see it. Could be wrong of course, but we seem to have reached a point of conflict in every continent and in most cases there doesnt seem to be much overall concern . We are killing each other on a masssive scale in various ways, whilst others are still living in caves and hunting their daily rations. I wonder who the winners will be ?


Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Re: Our Earth [Re: granny] #1079562
9th Sep 2020 11:47am
9th Sep 2020 11:47am
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,214
Oxton
Gibbo Online content
Forum Addict
Gibbo  Online Content
Forum Addict
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,214
Oxton
Watch "The Core" if you want a good laugh about the earth's innards.

Re: Our Earth [Re: granny] #1079570
9th Sep 2020 5:51pm
9th Sep 2020 5:51pm
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 376
Wirral
P
philmch Offline
Old Hand
philmch  Offline
Old Hand
P
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 376
Wirral
Originally Posted by granny

Very interesting, and as it;s so late, I will read again in the morning because it's quite a lot to take in all at once, philmch. Science might not give a toss about ideologies etc, but science doesn''t have emotions either which are built in to the human race . However, science can strip that away if needed.


Science might come across as "cold" but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have ethics. For example, the gene editing tool CRISPR could conceivable be used to edit out sickle cell anaemia. It is generally agreed amongst geneticists that it shouldn't be used to create designer babies.

We've long been worried about apocalyptic visions of humanity. In the 1980s we were all sent the Protect And Survive booklet. We thought nuclear warfare was inevitable and imminent. It never happened, even under Thatcher, Reagan, and Brezhnev; a triumvirate of seeming idiots. Elon Musk's people have recently planted a working silicon chip into the brain of a pig. That doesn't mean that humanity will ultimately become Cybermen or Homo Sapiens 2.0.

Re: Our Earth [Re: granny] #1079572
9th Sep 2020 9:35pm
9th Sep 2020 9:35pm
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,743
wirral
E
Excoriator Online content
Forum Addict
Excoriator  Online Content
Forum Addict
E
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,743
wirral
Most of the things you are talking about are known because someone found a way of working it out.

The diameter of the earth was first accurately measured by one Eratothenes of Alexandria some 2,000 years ago using no more than a stick and his brain.The earth doesn't have a solid iron core, it has a liquid iron one. How do they know this? By analysing earthquakes the other side of the world Pressure waves pass through liquid, transverse waves don't. If you receive pressure waves only, then its passing through liquid.

How do they know its liquid iron rather than liquid custard? Because pressure waves move at a particular speed through liquids like iron, By timing how long the waves take to pass through the earth you can deduce what it is if you know the extent or the liquid. That can be deduced by studying refraction of pressure waves through it. There is also the factor of the earth's density which supports this conclusion.

Do not assume that because you don't know that nobody does.

As to destroying life on this planet, I doubt that. We may destroy ourselves, but as its recently been shown that pacteria can survive in space outside the ISS for three years, and other have been found that will survive boiling water, I suspect that life is a bit tougher than we give it credit for.

Re: Our Earth [Re: Excoriator] #1079575
9th Sep 2020 10:02pm
9th Sep 2020 10:02pm
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,735
Birkenhead
diggingdeeper Offline

Wiki Master
diggingdeeper  Offline

Wiki Master
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,735
Birkenhead
Originally Posted by Excoriator
The earth doesn't have a solid iron core, it has a liquid iron one. How do they know this? By analysing earthquakes the other side of the world Pressure waves pass through liquid, transverse waves don't. If you receive pressure waves only, then its passing through liquid.

How do they know its liquid iron rather than liquid custard? Because pressure waves move at a particular speed through liquids like iron, By timing how long the waves take to pass through the earth you can deduce what it is if you know the extent or the liquid. That can be deduced by studying refraction of pressure waves through it. There is also the factor of the earth's density which supports this conclusion.

Do not assume that because you don't know that nobody does.


The scientific community has gone back to thinking the earth's core is solid. Its been an ongoing theory since 1938 from measurements taken then but two or three years ago new measurements confirmed a solid core which is also backed up by theoretical calculations.


The further you are down the pay scale, the more 'essential' you are when the s--- hits the fan... Sue Farbysmith 2020

Insults are engendered from vulgar minds, like toadstools from a dunghill - Charles Caleb Colton

We don't do charity in Germany, We pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn
Re: Our Earth [Re: philmch] #1079580
10th Sep 2020 10:00am
10th Sep 2020 10:00am
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 17,531
Wirral
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
granny  Offline OP
Wiki Master
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 17,531
Wirral


Originally Posted by philmch
Originally Posted by granny

Very interesting, and as it;s so late, I will read again in the morning because it's quite a lot to take in all at once, philmch. Science might not give a toss about ideologies etc, but science doesn''t have emotions either which are built in to the human race . However, science can strip that away if needed.


Science might come across as "cold" but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have ethics. For example, the gene editing tool CRISPR could conceivable be used to edit out sickle cell anaemia. It is generally agreed amongst geneticists that it shouldn't be used to create designer babies.

We've long been worried about apocalyptic visions of humanity. In the 1980s we were all sent the Protect And Survive booklet. We thought nuclear warfare was inevitable and imminent. It never happened, even under Thatcher, Reagan, and Brezhnev; a triumvirate of seeming idiots. Elon Musk's people have recently planted a working silicon chip into the brain of a pig. That doesn't mean that humanity will ultimately become Cybermen or Homo Sapiens 2.0.


We nearly did have a nuclear war, didn't we ? Now we have the same two sides who patched things up a bit, being created into enemies again. US wants supremacy and control over all things. They are riding rough shod throughout the world atm. When is another going to hit back. They all know the dangers of retaliation, which US also knows they know, giving US clear space to continue with their endeavours of divide and conquer .

We need to rethink our reliance upon nature for our survival. All we seem to do is breed more animals for food and laboratory testing/ experiments . Take them from the wild for human gain and medicines. Teaching monkeys to 'mind read ' ... what for ? Because they do, for no apparent reason. That's scientific experiment !!
The tribes of yesteryear knew how to manage their wildlife, the north American Indians know how to manage their wildlife, Acceptible Amazon fires for clearing land and making profit is all above board, but Californian and Australian fires are considered to be disasters (which they are) . No difference, they all decimate our wild life and natural surroundings that our wildlife need for survival.

Worldwide, approx 68 % of wildlife populations have fallen in 50 yrs. Nature is so balanced, (or was) we are now beginning to tip the wrong way. Going to the moon won;t help, wars won't help, all that man created won't help.

We will die off as a species by disease or virus, probably coming out of Africa , due to the fact that the scavengers are dying off, leaving rotting carcasses and disease to spread .
Bottom line is , too many people, not enough food, and disease... ..that paints a picture of desperation, which for 100's millions it is already.


Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Re: Our Earth [Re: granny] #1079581
10th Sep 2020 10:17am
10th Sep 2020 10:17am
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 17,531
Wirral
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
granny  Offline OP
Wiki Master
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 17,531
Wirral

What would happen if one of our planets blew up or died in some way ?
We won't experience, but if it should happen , what would the result be ? Would.suns gravity be altered, and would we find the earth drawn closer to the moon, or in a similar balancing act see other planets move closer to us ? Earth is said to be moving further away from the sun, due to the suns weakening gravity. (don;t know how they can judge that either from 5 billin years ago)

All this is far too clever to be an accident.

https://nineplanets.org/questions/getting-closer-sun/

quote " The gravity from the sun causes our planet to move in a curved, elliptical path. Thankfully, the planets are moving fast enough so that they are not pulled into the sun, which would destroy Earth. On the other hand, we are also not moving quickly enough to escape the sun's pull."


Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Re: Our Earth [Re: granny] #1079612
11th Sep 2020 2:51pm
11th Sep 2020 2:51pm
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,735
Birkenhead
diggingdeeper Offline

Wiki Master
diggingdeeper  Offline

Wiki Master
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,735
Birkenhead
Although earth's orbit is primarily affected by the sun, its actually a crazy wobbly orbit affected by the planets, it is so crazy that they can't predict it accurately, there is a continual update of earths orbital parameters to try and keep some sense of reality.

The main influences are the Sun, Jupiter and Venus, but just as we a wobbled, all the other planets (and the Sun) are also wobbled which is what makes it so complex.

The most influence is when the planets are at their closest distance, most of the time their direct influence is negligible, every time there is a close pass there is a slingshot effect, even a small change to a slingshot makes a large change to the outcome (similar to chaos theory or lensing).

Having a large amount of fluid (not just water) complicates the issue even further similar to the sloshing of a liquid in a container.

Overall, if a planet disappeared it would probably make little difference to out average orbit but with a lot of caveats.

Back to cores .....

A bit of a trick question and something that is slightly difficult to correctly conceptualise, what you generally believe is correct, however under scrutiny it can cast some doubt .......

Maximum gravity is roughly at the outer edge of the outer core (about halfway to the centre of the earth), there is zero gravity at the centre of the earth and very little gravity near to the centre of the earth. Why is heavy iron attracted to the centre of the earth instead being attracted to where gravity is greatest?

This can be further complicated if you thing of a spherical shell (a hollow sphere), would an object somewhere inside the shell be attracted to the centre or to the shell?


The further you are down the pay scale, the more 'essential' you are when the s--- hits the fan... Sue Farbysmith 2020

Insults are engendered from vulgar minds, like toadstools from a dunghill - Charles Caleb Colton

We don't do charity in Germany, We pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn
Re: Our Earth [Re: granny] #1079613
11th Sep 2020 4:13pm
11th Sep 2020 4:13pm
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 87
Middle Earth
F
Fidelio Online content

Member
Fidelio  Online Content

Member
F
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 87
Middle Earth
Was all that off the top of your head D.D? It might be nice to give credit to your sources once in a while.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Tier 2 after lockdown
by mikeeb. 26th Nov 2020 11:40am
MP's pay rise
by diggingdeeper. 25th Nov 2020 9:34pm
Gladstone Theatre Vandalised
by diggingdeeper. 24th Nov 2020 9:17pm
Oxton Flats
by AndyT. 23rd Nov 2020 6:17pm
Fairs Cameras - Bebington
by diggingdeeper. 23rd Nov 2020 4:08pm
For Sale & Free
PS4 PRO 1TB 4K BOXED WITH PT SILENT HILLS
by _Ste_. 25th Nov 2020 4:58pm
2009 Mini 1.4 First - Full JCW Bodykit
by delta6. 23rd Nov 2020 10:14am
Ps4 Glacier White 500gb
by Peter0787. 20th Nov 2020 6:34pm
CALL OF DUTY
by paul110180. 17th Nov 2020 9:44pm
Ipad 5 Mini 256gb
by Catsick. 14th Nov 2020 2:25pm
Member Spotlight
_Ste_
_Ste_
The Bronx
Posts: 16,274
Joined: August 2005
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
vicpitcher, Lilycat, AndyT, mac123, TheSock
13576 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
New Wirral Info
Oxton Flats
by AndyT. 23rd Nov 2020 6:17pm
Pontins Southport
by mikeeb. 18th Nov 2020 1:13pm
divorce
by lincle. 15th Nov 2020 10:48am
eBay Complaints
by granny. 6th Nov 2020 11:33am
Wirral’s Rights of Way Map
by mikeeb. 31st Oct 2020 11:09am
News : New Topics
Tier 2 after lockdown
by mikeeb. 26th Nov 2020 11:40am
MP's pay rise
by diggingdeeper. 25th Nov 2020 9:34pm
Gladstone Theatre Vandalised
by diggingdeeper. 24th Nov 2020 9:17pm
Liverpool Airport
by Excoriator. 22nd Nov 2020 5:42pm
Remembrance Sunday
by mikeeb. 8th Nov 2020 9:49am
New Enthusiast Forums
car stupidity
by lincle. 23rd Nov 2020 8:46am
car sales
by lincle. 19th Nov 2020 4:54pm
Ban on sales of petrol and diesel cars and vans.
by mikeeb. 18th Nov 2020 10:50am
cheap kindle books
by derekdwc. 17th Nov 2020 11:06am
Puppy Mills
by granny. 17th Nov 2020 10:44am
Popular Topics(Views 24hrs)
Wirral Sunrise Sunset
Sunrise Thu 7:58am
Sunset Thu 4:00pm
Local Time Thu 4:02pm
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1.1