WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,926 guests, and 465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Hilbre High School has been closed because a parent has tested positive for Coronavirus and their child was in school yesterday.

https://www.hilbre.wirral.sch.uk/news/?pid=31&nid=1&storyid=103

Remember, if you are out in public places do not touch your face with your hands until you have washed/disinfected them.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Google Ads
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
You ain't seen nuthin' yet. This is going to get really bad.

6% death rate in the UK is my guess. 4 million dead.

It will, however, reduce property prices.

Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Hilbre High School has been closed because a parent has tested positive for Coronavirus and their child was in school yesterday.

https://www.hilbre.wirral.sch.uk/news/?pid=31&nid=1&storyid=103

Remember, if you are out in public places do not touch your face with your hands until you have washed/disinfected them.

Unless you are Boris, apparently he is still quite happy to shake hands. clap

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
He sings 'Happy Birthday' twice though in the belief that will protect you.

I notice the disease is now being presented as an economic threat rather than a medical one at the moment with Carney and a grim faced Boris shocked at havinf 25% of the workforce at home!

I can't work out whether this is designed to allay panic or simply the usual tory policy of putting property and money before people.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Best medical opinion is that roughly 1% of those affected will die, primarily through other issues, eg pneumonia etc. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/coronavirus-covid-19-list-of-guidance

It is no worse than a regular round of seasonal flu

And it's not quite "loose" yet, maybe come back in May and we can see how many people affected then

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Oh joy..i was doing the school crossing there on Monday helping these poor infected kids to get safely across the road whilst they are passing it on to me !.....Back there tomorrow ..will be interesting to see how many of the primary school kids at Black Horse next to Hilbre school are wearing face masks.. Think i might wear my Darth Vader one

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
People would pay good money to see Darth Vader on school crossing patrol, I reckon...

Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
Originally Posted by Excoriator

I notice the disease is now being presented as an economic threat rather than a medical one at the moment with Carney and a grim faced Boris shocked at havinf 25% of the workforce at home!

I can't work out whether this is designed to allay panic or simply the usual tory policy of putting property and money before people.

I see I'am not the only one to notice things wanting to be done on the cheap, it is without doubt the Tory arse squeeking at having to pay out, I noted the emphasise on voluntary this and that, and all of a sudden hospital is no longer required for isolation.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Best medical opinion is that roughly 1% of those affected will die, primarily through other issues, eg pneumonia etc. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/coronavirus-covid-19-list-of-guidance

It is no worse than a regular round of seasonal flu

And it's not quite "loose" yet, maybe come back in May and we can see how many people affected then

Difficult to find much that's correct about this post.

The WHO gave an initial estimate of 2% mortality rate about a month back. Subsequent events have shown it to be more like 6%. (See https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ which gives excellent up-to-date information, unlike our piss-poor government)

It is most definitely on the loose. The site I linked to shows a near-perfect exponential rise of cases outside China. As of now, there are 13,000 cases but it appears to be doubling every three days. In four weeks it will have reached 13 million.

6% of the UK population is about 4 million but given we have more than our fair share of old people I expect the death toll to be rather higher.

If you think that's no worse than 'flu then you are living in a very deluded state indeed. The Government should be doing what China - which seems to have contained it - did, and shut down cities completely. Now!

Unfortunately, being tories and stupid even by the low standards of that party, they seem to be more concerned about business and blissfully unaware or indifferent to the effect of losing four million people.

We have been extremely unfortunate to have a government which is manifestly inept at a time when we need a group who know what needs to be done and have the guts to do it. Expect a very bad time indeed in the UK over the next few months. I hope you survive it. At 77 myself I am not optimistic in my case.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by casper
Originally Posted by Excoriator

I see I'am not the only one to notice things wanting to be done on the cheap, it is without doubt the Tory arse squeeking at having to pay out, I noted the emphasise on voluntary this and that, and all of a sudden hospital is no longer required for isolation.

They didn't know what they were dealing with initially, did they ? There won't be enough hospital places to quarantine everyone who steps back in the UK anyway .
A friend of mine has had to self quarantine for 14 days. We can do it ourselves, we're not babies.

Has anyone mentioned wearing a pair of gloves when we go out, just like my granny did to avoid hand to mouth germs. Money is also a big carrier of germs and viruses. Paper money can hold onto viruses such as flu, for 17 days.

Get your mittens out Casper.

ps. When you want to 'quote' another comment from someone. click on 'quote' at the bottom right .. in between Reply and Report, Next go down to the end of the 'quote' and after it says 'quote' write your response, then post but I think it can only be done with a maximum of a block of 3. It will tell you anyway when you post. Does it help ?

Last edited by granny; 5th Mar 2020 10:30am.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Smartchild
Smartchild
simulation event 201 ..... Makes me wonder if those American's really think of everything .... eternal damnation and a red hot poker up the ....

Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by GaryFromWirral
simulation event 201 ..... Makes me wonder if those American's really think of everything .... eternal damnation and a red hot poker up the ....

We have these sort of exercises in the UK as well. goes on all the time. Big reality check when its real life though. I can't see the Tory Government having kept adequate emergency equipment and supplies though - just enough for Downing Street probably.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000ghsb/select-committees-live-coronavirus-committee

The Chief Medical Officer being interviewed - a good, balanced, scienced-based assessment - always a good perspective

The piece on statistics and likely mortality rates is around 9:33 in, total piece is 1hr 40 min so unless you have got time to kill I wouldn't recommend.

I do find it unfortunate that a valid opinion can't be expressed without attracting abuse.

Addict
Addict
Funny i remember reading a story on the net around the beginning of November last year about someone in Thailand or Vietnam catching this new flu that had started, and thinking that's all we need! but i am in shock at this whole situation, yes we can have a laugh and a joke about it, take shots at the Tories, but if you have aged parents you could see them die this year if this thing spreads the way its doing, my mother is 92 and scared to death she might catch it, In one of my jobs we have an action plan to deep clean the area, if anyone becomes infected my boss doesn't know it yet but i won't be turning up that day! looks like chlorine and normal house hold detergent is what is used to deep clean, how they know this is beyond me?
So just want to wish everyone good luck hope we are still around this time next year?

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Good luck to you and your mum. I hope she gets through unscathed. I'm sure she will. I don't remember any such panic over SARS or Swine flu a few years back.... we just carried on as per normal.

I'm more worried about my blood pressure. 192/ 88 earlier today eek

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am