WikiWirral yrs online 24/7 365 days a year.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,899 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I agree, I've got a chinese one and its a nightmare to use. Every-time you stop and start recording it opens a new file (ie no pause facility), every button is multifunctional, some things you have to go through the menu, the screen uses a lot of indeterminate symbols which makes translating proto-Elamite tablets look easy etc etc.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Google Ads
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
That's a good idea, Chris. Will have a search later as there is still a day left on that one.

If you have your book 'Tingvelle' handy, you might like to see the map of field names.

If you look for 'Thing Well'. That is on the land of Thingwall Farm and where he said there was a 'well' x 2 . This is also of interest in relation to the old name of 'Tingvelle',
as 'velle' on it's own from Latin, means 'wish, want, be willing'.
Do you see what I'm getting at ? Maybe this is the origin of how the name 'Wishing Well' came to be ? (not necessarily from Thingwall, before someone reads things differently)

Just as a matter of interest, what's left of Thingwall Farm is a heap of rubble buried under a mass of wild growth.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Back her again, after 5 yrs. Blimey , doesn't time fly ? Some of this I may have posted before , but this might be easier to follow.

The Celts came across Europe from Greece and other places and inhabited Wales.

Llan is Celtic .

Brittonic was the ancient Celtic language spoken by Brittons.

The word Llan is a Gaelic word meaning ' wood'

The word 'Dican' originates in Egypt and referred to 36 groups of stars and used in Ancient Egyptian Astronomy. Dicans were used until after the Renaissance in connection with astrology and magic. .

In Greece they used the word for sidereal star clock beginning by at least the 9th or 10th Dynasty (c. 2100 BCE).

Sardican was in Greece and the Sar - Dican was a name meaning "servant", "waiting-man", "minister", or "messenger" and later Sar- Dican Cannons

The Romans arrived and stayed for about 400 yrs,

The Anglo Saxons arrived in the 4th century but the Romans beat them back. The Romans left in the 5th century, and more Anglo Saxons came to Britain.

The Anglo Saxons were not Christian , they were pagan, but there had been many Christians in Roman Britain.

The Anglo Saxons did not settle in Wales and the Christians there continued their own religion .

Over time the Anglo Saxons converted to Christianity.

The Vikings first invaded in 793 AD.

So..... firstly, I think 'Cross Hill' , Thingwall was in use as a religious meeting place before the Vikings arrived, as the Saxons didn't necessarily have buildings for meetings, they were in the open as Jesus had done .

The Christians came out of Wales

I believe 'Landican' came from the Welsh /Gaelic language for a deacon or magic man in the wood as you will see from the map that the Brittonic speaking community extended out of Wales as far as Cumbria.

The connection of Dican, ( Astrology ) to the Church would have come from the bible, as astrology was paramount, and the Jews had arrived in Canaan from Egypt after living in Egypt for 400 yrs. so no doubt , they too were mostly following paganism at the time . Hence the beginning of the teachings of morals and ethics as given by Moses to gather the people together .

Many people believe the good book is related to magic and astronomy with all it's so called mysteries and codes . Trouble is, even the greatest of brains can't figure it out !

Llan-Dican Magician in the wood .. or Deacon in the Wood which has come from Wales and the Brittanic language via the Celts and traditions relating back to Greece, Egypt and astronomy .

Will that do ?

The Brittonic-speaking community around the sixth century.

Last edited by granny; 26th Feb 2020 9:33pm.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master

~Chief Seattle
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master

Above I mentioned that in Gaelic 'Llan ' meant 'wood, however according to The Doomesday Book, Llan in Celtic as a 'place name' meant 'church'

Celtic Terms: 800BC - 400 AD

Aber: River mouth or ford
Afon: River
Allt: Hillside
Avon; Esk; Eye; Dee: River
Bedd: Grave
Bre-; Drum; Don: Hill
Caer: Fortress
Capel: Chapel
Carnedd: Cairn
Castell: Castle
Coed: Wood
Cwm: Valley
Dinas: City
Glan: River Bank
Hamps: Dry stream in Summer
Llan: Church
Llyn: Lake
Mawr: Big
Môr: Sea
Mynydd: Mountain
Pant: Hollow
Pen; Bryn: Hill; Head
Plas: Palace
Pont; Bont: Bridge
Porth: Harbour
Tre: Hamlet; Village; Town
Treath: Beach
Ynys: Island

http://www.domesdaybook.co.uk/places.html

Last edited by granny; 28th Feb 2020 2:20pm.

~Chief Seattle
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master

Going back to the early 1800's there are various registers relating to Thomas Wilson from Llandican in Cheshire. So the name must have changed from 2 x L's to 1 x L at some point.

~Chief Seattle
granny #1074997 28th Feb 2020 10:55pm
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
It is generally though that Woodchurch was part of Landican and Landican Church was at Woodchurch.

Woodchurch wasn't part of the Wirral Hundred but Landican was.

Woodchurch wasn't in the Doomsday book, Landican was.

Going back to 17th century maps Landican only had one L but undoubtedly when Wirral was run by the druids it had two Ls.

There have been a number of spellings over time including Landechene as it was at the time of the Doomsday book.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

granny #1075000 29th Feb 2020 12:00am
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master

Landechene at the time of the Doomsday book, was more than likely attributed to the French or Norman . It is said that although Landechene was named in the Doomsday Book, implying oaken church, it is thought the name originally derived from the Welsh.. Llan-diacon 'church of the deacon' .

I would have thought that Landican would have been a more likely setting for such, a ) being nearer to a river or brook, b) linking up to all the ancient pathways through Thingwall going to Storeton and beyond down to Bebington . (which it has been said was the route the Vikings took when coming up to Cross Hill for their Assembly )

Why it might be there in the first place is a big question mark but Landican was classed as a township. A township is a small village with a church so water (river) was of importance .

I can't see that the Anglo-Saxons would give it such a name, or even a church, although one of the earliest crosses recently discovered dates to the 650-680 AD. (link)
One of the Popes (link) sent Augustin to England in 597 AD to convert the pagan Anglo-Saxon Kings.

The Trumpington Cross

https://www.cam.ac.uk/trumpingtoncross

I am more than ever convinced that 'Cross Hill' was much older by name than when a) the Saxons arrived and b) the Vikings arrived..... but you don't have to agree. smile

~Chief Seattle
granny #1075001 29th Feb 2020 12:23am
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
A township is defined by having had a town council or a parish council acting as a town council, it was a devolvement of powers (usually tax based) from either the County Council (Shire) or the Parish Council. A township does not have to have had a church, it was invariably part of a larger Parish.

granny #1075008 29th Feb 2020 11:21am
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master

Township came from =ville. (Latin) and has changed it meaning over the millennia , also it meant different things in different countries.

I' m not sure that at the time of the Doomsday Book was compiled or before, there were any Town Councils or Parish Councils ! I could be wrong.
However, if there was a church at that time , there would almost certainly have been the beginnings of some sort of control or dominance over the people.

Cross Hill of which there are many, not necessarily named Cross Hill but many hills with crosses on, as one would expect the followers of Christianity would have paid homage and were often sites for pilgrimages.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...BfMQsAR6BAgLEAE&biw=1080&bih=508

'Ter Hill Cross' is quite famous for depicting an ancient monastic route, and including Mount Misery Cross. (the clue is in the name ! )

Churches and Monasteries and other places of Christian religion have long been built on hills.

It would be interesting to find the entry of Landechene in the Doomsday Book, but so far all I can find is that it was held by William Malbank.
Thingwall is also in the Doomsday Book , held by William Malbank.

The fact that Landican and Thingwall are so close with footpaths linking across the field, and much closer that Woodchurch I still have the opinion that Landican Village is where it was relating to.
Holy Cross at Woodchurch may have been a subsequent church after the Welsh (Brittonic speaking community) had gone.

~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I'll let you translate ....

Attached Images
12581-1.png (27.75 KB, 9 downloads)

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Here you go, Woodchurch was part of the Manor of Landican https://www.holycrosswoodchurch.uk/history

granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by granny
Back her again, after 5 yrs. Blimey , doesn't time fly ? Some of this I may have posted before , but this might be easier to follow.

The Celts came across Europe from Greece and other places and inhabited Wales.

Llan is Celtic .

Brittonic was the ancient Celtic language spoken by Brittons.

The word Llan is a Gaelic word meaning ' wood'

The word 'Dican' originates in Egypt and referred to 36 groups of stars and used in Ancient Egyptian Astronomy. Dicans were used until after the Renaissance in connection with astrology and magic. .

In Greece they used the word for sidereal star clock beginning by at least the 9th or 10th Dynasty (c. 2100 BCE).

Sardican was in Greece and the Sar - Dican was a name meaning "servant", "waiting-man", "minister", or "messenger" and later Sar- Dican Cannons

The Romans arrived and stayed for about 400 yrs,

The Anglo Saxons arrived in the 4th century but the Romans beat them back. The Romans left in the 5th century, and more Anglo Saxons came to Britain.

The Anglo Saxons were not Christian , they were pagan, but there had been many Christians in Roman Britain.

The Anglo Saxons did not settle in Wales and the Christians there continued their own religion .

Over time the Anglo Saxons converted to Christianity.

The Vikings first invaded in 793 AD.

So..... firstly, I think 'Cross Hill' , Thingwall was in use as a religious meeting place before the Vikings arrived, as the Saxons didn't necessarily have buildings for meetings, they were in the open as Jesus had done .

The Christians came out of Wales

I believe 'Landican' came from the Welsh /Gaelic language for a deacon or magic man in the wood as you will see from the map that the Brittonic speaking community extended out of Wales as far as Cumbria.

The connection of Dican, ( Astrology ) to the Church would have come from the bible, as astrology was paramount, and the Jews had arrived in Canaan from Egypt after living in Egypt for 400 yrs. so no doubt , they too were mostly following paganism at the time . Hence the beginning of the teachings of morals and ethics as given by Moses to gather the people together .

Many people believe the good book is related to magic and astronomy with all it's so called mysteries and codes . Trouble is, even the greatest of brains can't figure it out !

Llan-Dican Magician in the wood .. or Deacon in the Wood which has come from Wales and the Brittanic language via the Celts and traditions relating back to Greece, Egypt and astronomy .

Will that do ?

The Brittonic-speaking community around the sixth century.

Well I can go along with the fact that Woodchurch could have been a Druid burial place, but Druids were not generally Christians.

Who were the Druids (magic men !)
https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofWales/Druids/

It says in the link that Woodchurch formed a 'part' of the Manor of Landican in 1086 . Woodchurch was recorded as Wude Church in 1093

The translation of the Doomsday entry for Landican is as follows :

Landican.
Aescwulf held it; he was a free man. 7 hides paying tax.Land for 8 ploughs.In lordship 1; a priest , 9 villagers , 7 smallholders and 4 Frenchmen with 5 ploughs between them.
Value before 1066 50s ; now 40s; found waste.

Thingwall
Durand holds from him (William Malbank) Winterlet held it ; he was a free man . 1 hide paying tax . Land for 2 ploughs. In lordship 1; 2 slaves

The largest of Wirral settlements was in order :
1)eastham was largest settlement
2)upton
3)saughall
4)landican

Now the interesting bit. Landican was obviously quite important and it has been recorded that ' Landican like Thingwall was a well watered village. There were 2 wells and 2 springs.' !

That to me indicates that Landican then was where Landican village is today. Churches would have a well or be near a spring near, and communities needed them too. Sacred springs were part of the Christian rituals .
Woodchurch, in my opinion, was possibly as stated a Druid burial place, however, from what I can make out, a) the Romans tried to get rid of the Druid's and their pagan rituals such as sacrifice, and b)the Britons did not get along with the Druids.

The last point is; if Landcian was the original hamlet/settlement with a Christian Priest , bordering Thingwall, being the highest point for Cross Hill, it makes sense . Also, why would the Vikings make their way to Cross Hill if it wasn't of any importance ?

I have probably missed loads of different points out on this, but don't want to confuse the issue more than necessary. Hahaha !
Oh yes, William the Conqueror invaded Wales , raided forests for oak trees and wood in general, chased out the pagans and I wonder if it was the Doomsday survey completed in parts of England and Wales by 1086, has seen Norman influence and Woodchurch made into a church later but before 1093 . It clearly says the Doomsday survey on Landican and Thingwall in land value was in 1066 and at the time of the survey the price had dropped.

Last edited by granny; 1st Mar 2020 9:40pm.

~Chief Seattle
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Not looked at levels on an old os but was there a Hill there. The cross hill reservoir slopes look man made. only a slight incline in the road to Barnston.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Arrowe brook starts in Landican and passes through Woodchurch on its way to the Birket. In the past there were a number of tributaries roughly heading towards (from?) Holy Cross. If you go into the Woodland directly in front of the Hospital you can find traces of a brooklet there, the same for the Woodland in front of the large car park on the left of the Hospital.

There was no shortage of water around Woodchurch however much of the water flow was altered in the early 19th century when Arrowe Hall was built and the surrounding land (now Arrowe Park) was extensively landscaped especially as they were looking for water for the lake, fountains and waterfalls.

The Fender also originates in Landican via Prenton Brook.

What would be interesting to know, is where was Arrowe Village? Probably the top or bottom of Arrowe Brook Road? It is interesting to note that Arrowe Hill has moved to half-way down the north side of Arrowe Brook Road, it used to be on the other side of Arrowe Park Road. Arrowe Village would give us a better idea of the extent of Landican.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am