Our Success is in our members who value our strength as a valued community.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,899 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Forum Addict
OP Online Content
Forum Addict
Someone has disabled the parking meters at Royden Park by filling them with expanding foam!

I imagine these machines are now a write-off. That foam expands and goes hard sticking firmly to everything. The mechanism would probably be irreparable and would have to be replaced and probably costs a fortune too. The Wirral Globe dismisses this as 'Mindless Vandalism' but it can also be seen as the public taking back control from a bunch of politicians doing something the people they represent clearly strongly oppose. Perhaps the council should have taken the hint and removed the machines. However, they seem to have replaced them.

Whilst not advocating further damage I can't deny feeling a degree of schadenfreude at this protest, and I expect I am not the only one. Further attacks seem very likely. One could argue, too, that it is the public who pay for these machines, ultimately, and that surely gives them the moral right to do what they like with them.

Google Ads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
It was inevitable that someone would do something to the machines - I'm just surprised it took them so long. New machines have now been installed. Who pays for that? We do, through our Council tax, I imagine. At least at this time of year the 'free before 8am and after 6.30 pm' is useful for cooler morning and evening walkies, though it'll be no use at all in the winter.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Greenwood
It was inevitable that someone would do something to the machines - I'm just surprised it took them so long. New machines have now been installed. Who pays for that? We do, through our Council tax, I imagine. At least at this time of year the 'free before 8am and after 6.30 pm' is useful for cooler morning and evening walkies, though it'll be no use at all in the winter.

Do you think they are a good idea, Greenwood, in such areas ? Maybe a better option would be to put meters on all council properties from staff car parks to leisure centres. I can't see how one group of people should be penalised for taking their daily exercise against another group of fitness fanatics. We are all being encourage to take exercise, that includes gardening where many have to pay for garden refuse collection. Protectionism isn't acceptable when it comes down to those who enforce the laws in favour of their own advantages. (i.e. Council and facility users protection) .

Last edited by granny; 7th Jul 2018 3:37pm.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Bet it was done after 6pm when the parking is free !!!... Now we can go round putting a label on all the others saying "Out of Order Due to Vandalism"

Forum Addict
OP Online Content
Forum Addict
I wonder if sticky labels over the coin slot bearing the words "Out of order. Do not use" counts as vandalism?

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
No - in an ideal world you wouldn't have to pay to park at country parks etc. You wouldn't have to pay extra for a brown bin either. Fact is though, we are not in an ideal situation. The council needs to plug the hole in its budget somehow. They might give up on the parking charges for parks eventually - or they might extend the scheme to more areas, have another go at the promenade parking charge idea without the overnight charge, etc. Goodness knows what they'll think of next. Many other areas charge for some areas of promenade parking - we've been lucky so far - so it wouldn't surprise me if they did introduce that at some point.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Council has to find another £45m pounds in savings now as well.

The proper answer at council level would be to up council tax, many of these schemes they are coming up with are barely cost effective and certainly aren't value for money to anybody.

But the fault lies with the Government, they are taking more and more from the general public and still giving it to the rich. They are also borrowing far more money than any other UK Government and giving that money to the rich as well, then we the public are landed with that debt in addition to money being taken away from us.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
No - in an ideal world you wouldn't have to pay to park at country parks etc. You wouldn't have to pay extra for a brown bin either. Fact is though, we are not in an ideal situation. The council needs to plug the hole in its budget somehow. They might give up on the parking charges for parks eventually - or they might extend the scheme to more areas, have another go at the promenade parking charge idea without the overnight charge, etc. Goodness knows what they'll think of next. Many other areas charge for some areas of promenade parking - we've been lucky so far - so it wouldn't surprise me if they did introduce that at some point.

Yes, agreed with your point about other promenade parking, but they are generally in tourist areas, such as Llandudno or Blackpool. We can't really call Hoylake a tourist hot spot. The charges in this area are purely and simply (in the majority of cases ) to be inflicted on the local residents.
Maybe there should be more encouragement for businesses to come to the area. Who promotes Wirral these days ? We've become the dead end cul-de-sac of Chester. There's nothing here to bring people in any longer apart from a million eateries. That might be a slight exaggeration.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Hmm, wildlife in the Dee estuary, world-beating views of the Liverpool skyline, miles of coast with stunning sunsets, country walking along the Wirral Way, out to Hilbre and elsewhere, bird-watching, cycling, sailing, pubs, cinema, Williamson, Lady Lever, Port Sunlight etc - there's plenty to promote really. If I lived inland and was at all interested in the great outdoors I'd be drawn to it. The eateries are a bonus. The Leisure Peninsula (old slogan!) still lives, it just needs a little TLC.

Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
Originally Posted by granny

Yes, agreed with your point about other promenade parking, but they are generally in tourist areas, such as Llandudno or Blackpool. We can't really call Hoylake a tourist hot spot. The charges in this area are purely and simply (in the majority of cases ) to be inflicted on the local residents.
Maybe there should be more encouragement for businesses to come to the area. Who promotes Wirral these days ? We've become the dead end cul-de-sac of Chester. There's nothing here to bring people in any longer apart from a million eateries. That might be a slight exaggeration.

Maybe not such an exaggeration granny, we live in Wallasey Village, just in the area of the roundabout there are 10 food outlets five are cafes with seating, we have a number of schools in the area some of whose pupils appear to spend the day walking up and down to the various eateries and the most annoying part depositing their drinks bottles,cans, food wrappings and uneaten portions in a trail back to their respective schools, and the government keep telling us about child obesity!!

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Originally Posted by Excoriator
I wonder if sticky labels over the coin slot bearing the words "Out of order. Do not use" counts as vandalism?

That has a very good double meaning if it was intended...yes totally out of order !!

Forum Addict
OP Online Content
Forum Addict
Quite so! One could claim that the first sentence invalidated the second and therefore no lie had been intended!

I seem to recall someone telling me that when congestion charging was proposed in one of the Scandinavian countries, the half-completed control building was dynamited! Now that's real political involvement! True or not, it's a nice story which concluded with congestion charging being abandoned there.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Hmm, wildlife in the Dee estuary, world-beating views of the Liverpool skyline, miles of coast with stunning sunsets, country walking along the Wirral Way, out to Hilbre and elsewhere, bird-watching, cycling, sailing, pubs, cinema, Williamson, Lady Lever, Port Sunlight etc - there's plenty to promote really. If I lived inland and was at all interested in the great outdoors I'd be drawn to it. The eateries are a bonus. The Leisure Peninsula (old slogan!) still lives, it just needs a little TLC.

The invented slogan 'The Leisure Peninsula' came about after the attractions and events slowly disintegrated into the dust.
When we think what has gone , Historic warships, Birkenhead Museum, Pumping Station, Pacific Road, Ferry services from Woodside, Wirral Show, events in Wirral during the Mersey River Festival, Balloons over the Mersey from Birkenhead Park, Europe Day, The Mercy Ships visiting Birkenhead, Scarecrow Festival, Kite Festival and a whole lot more which I can't drag from the grey matter right now.
We still have Birkenhead Priory and the Trams, who promotes them ? Liverpool were handed Wirral Tourism on a big plate,(as a 'suburb of Liverpool' ) however as most in Liverpool don't know Wirral too well or how to get around etc. it's hardly likely they will promote it. There is no shopping area to draw people in, and the only other places are Ness Gardens, Goredale, Cheshire Oaks or Blue Planet, all of which are Ellesmere Port and Neston council , and not easily accessible by public transport. The effort of getting to them is not worth the end result any longer. Halton has more to offer .

Last edited by granny; 9th Jul 2018 11:57am.

~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Don't forget the removal of public loos, then there are the crazy bus routes these days as well.

Bus services need to go under council control again, far more flexibility.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Arriva won't, they're owned by Deutsche Bahn, a German railway company. They're not going to give that up.

~Chief Seattle
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am