WikiWirral is where great friendships are made.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,361
Posts1,033,315
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
5 members (1 invisible), 9,835 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Forum Guide
OP Offline
Forum Guide
The Council is suggesting a few small areas of beach around Wirral's beautiful coast where dogs will be forbidden in the summer months, also keeping sports pitches and playgrounds dog-free (as they should be), insisting people clear up their dog's poo and not leave bags hanging around (good luck with that one!!). Info is on the Council website and the Wirral Globe website has maps of affected areas. To be honest it all seems pretty reasonable, but people will need to be aware of any changes, especially in Birkenhead Park where there are a number of proposed dog-free areas. No hanging dog poo bags in trees and forgetting to come back for them any more! That is a particularly unattractive habit that I'll be glad to see the back of. Although how the Council intends to police all this, given the cuts, I wil be very interested to see...

Google Ads
Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master

Another change is the intent to prosecute if you walk a dog without being in possession of a suitable method of cleaning up after it - no idea how that would operate, unless under lines of stop and search?

Forum Master
Forum Master
I agree with some of the things they want to do,picnic areas & play/sports areas.My son used to play football in Birkenhead park & it's not nice having to pick up someone elses dog mess.I used to take Misty to his games,home & away & she was never allowed on the pitch.The beach a different matter,always keep away from people it's not always sunny & I've enjoyed going when it's raining as there is no one else there & the dog can have a run & what about the people who live there.I've always got loads of bags & mess is always binned,can't say the same for the amount of human litter.It's always the few inconsiderate people spoil it for the majority.

no1s gonna keep me from u
Forum Guide
OP Offline
Forum Guide
That's a good point about the human litter - that needs tackling too. The Council would make a fortune if they descended mob-handed onto the beach at the end of a sunny day - or onto football pitches where plastic bottles etc are left lying around. If they're as skint as they say they are, they're missing a lot of chances to make money.

As for poo bags and stop and search, some people I know just tie the poo bag to the dog lead (before it's been filled of course!). You can buy little containers that clip onto a dog's collar, too - easy solutions. I've always got an emergency poo bag in handbag or pocket, even if I don't have my daughter's dog with me. Like shopping bags when the plastic bag charge came into effect, people will just have to get used to carrying poo bags. Dog-walkers should be carrying them anyway!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master

There have always been restrictions on certain beaches for dog walking in Wirral, so I'm not sure what the new criteria is, as the link above has just annoyed me ( they all do these days) by another pop up for cookies etc. So I haven't read it.

How they police it ? I doubt the police will, too expensive. I doubt council employees will, not enough of them and too expensive (overtime, pensions etc.) so I suggest that it will be placed in the hands of another agency on a five or ten year contract at unchallenged cost. This would allow unidentifiable persons, able to pose in wet suits, flippers and snorkels on WK beach, ready to pounce on the last receipt from Morrison's, that flew out of a pensioners plastic carrier bag.

Plastic bags and plastic doggy bags !! Are they part of the campaign too, because they should be if the environmental job (not a pun) is being done properly. ?

Most offenders I imagine ,could be from other areas outside Wirral. Unaware day trippers , who shall be horrified and ,maybe ' loud' in a public place when confronted with the merry band of bandits. Never to return to the land of the smugglers again.

Just an opinion !

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Master
Forum Master
I wouldn't be surprised if it was that lovely Kingdom firm,targeting pensioners with the little lap dog but not the hard looking fella with a big rottie

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Just from the map, it looks as if you're not familiar with the area around Birkenhead Park map, it would be quite hard to recognize where you can go and where you cant.

granny - you can often get round the cookie demands from all and sundry sites, by clicking options, ticking nothing at all , and then' saving' or 'next' - on this one it takes you back so you can read under the cookie demand box.

Wonder if that tiny bit of pink at the entrance to West Kirby beach by the marine lake stops you walking out beyond it . Walking across the pink bit rather seems to defeat the object

Wiki Master
Wiki Master

thanks Venice. They all seem to be different but so annoying

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
West Kirby no-dog zone is from the sailing centre carpark to Riversdale Road you can still turn right with your dog at the bottom of Riversdale Road onto the beach heading in Red Rocks direction. No idea why the globe didn't publish all the maps the Council has provided HERE

I think the Birkenhead Park areas will be fenced and signed.

This might not happen for a while, Wirral Council has declared a freeze on non-essential spending but this project might come from external funding.

Why don't the council just publish the proposed rules instead of making imaginary questions in a faq page? I'd prefer to see the exact rules they are proposing not a simplified version of them eg in the faq they have not allowed for the use of mechanical pooper-scoopers instead of bags, this is highly discriminatory against disabled and infirm people.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Forum Master
Forum Master
another thing someone pointed out on the questionaire there was no box so you could add other things to put a point of view across

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Certainly dont think a council agent would have the power to stop and see if you had means to pick up poo, i doubt they would even have any authority to even ask you let alone for you to have too answer them. unless.....
I remember reading somewhere (probably a conspiracy website) there was a move to give more powers to the likes of Kingdom..sort of secondary police force ..

Cant really see the new maps actually reducing the amount of dog muck left might mean it just gets left in different places..

Also i wonder if they plan to put more car park charges in these dog areas.....kerching!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Although they can't insist on searching you or insist you show your poo bags, that may not stop them from prosecuting for "failure to produce". It all depends on the wording of the actual rules.

This is as crazy as the dog licence, the owners that behave themselves will be inconvenienced, the owners that don't behave themselves will probably ignore the new rules.

There is also a fairly good rule that officers can ask you to put your dog on a lead if it is off-lead.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
I often picnic and kayak at Caldy beach. And every single time I go I see a dog off a lead getting into a scrap with another dog - usually followed by an apology or "he's never normally like this", or a dog crapping where the owner can't see (or doesn't want to see), and it doesn't get picked up.

Until these scummy owners are challenged and forced to be responsible, everyone suffers.

Forum Master
Forum Master
My dog is kept on a lead unless there are no other dogs in the area then I let her have a run round and she's on the lead till she's done her business. It's always the irresponsible owners gives all owners a bad name

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,215 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,297 Spotted!