Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,360
Posts1,033,313
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
13 members (3 invisible), 10,044 guests, and 449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
Wirral waters
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:07am
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by hootmeil - 4th Apr 2024 1:15pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
casper 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I don't remember Granny saying she was doing a poll that would be representative of the UK population?

The only person I've seen trying to trash any poll was you @Ex, I've not refereed to any poll apart from Granny's and a reference to Cameron's and May's proven mistakes on relying upon polls.

National political polls rely on people telling the truth. They have no way of measuring how much of the data is true, not only do people employ tactical voting in elections but they also employ tactical voting in polls. I do both and I know many other people do too.

The last five elections I have voted in I have voted tactically with a large group of other people. Commercial pollsters and organisations I disagree with will never get a straight response from me, why should they? They are benefiting themselves not me.

I don't understand any value of statistically forecasting national election results and putting the results in the public domain unless it is an attempt to corrupt that election. To my mind the process should be illegal on grounds of corruption and democracy.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Would just like to say that at one time I worked for the same company that does polls for Ipsos Mori, doing market research, and attacking the public to fill in questionnairs.

It was a highly paid job for not doing much. Mostly done by mums with children who worked between the hours of 10 am and rushed off at 3pm.

Mostly done near the entrance of Marks and Spencer's which would typify those who were targeted. Alternatively they may have been travelling on the intercity trains, with business men and women and there again, is that really a cross section of the community.

Just an example of how polls are carried out. Not many go knocking on doors anymore to get to the wider population. Of course the questionnaire and target audience is loaded for the purpose of a particular result, because psychologically, that result can have a huge impact on swaying others into the same line of opinion.

Last edited by granny; 19th Dec 2017 9:49am.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Master
Forum Master
Que sera sera. wink

Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
I don't remember Granny saying she was doing a poll that would be representative of the UK population?

Quite so. Doing one that DOESN'T represent the whole of the UK population is a waste of time, misleading, and is pretty well meaningless which I why I attacked it.

Nor do properly run polls rely on everyone telling the truth. They rely, rather, on both sides having a roughly equal number of liars; although I cannot imagine what they hope to achieve by doing so. Much easier to tell the truth. If you resent them making money from your opinions and lie because of that, why not join Yougov? They pay you for completing an online poll. Personally, I can't see any reason for not telling the truth.

Interestingly, some product polls include questions which attempt to detect whether the interviewee is lying. Liars need good memories, and conflicting answers will lead to that set of results being rejected.

It has to be said, too, that polls are less reliable when both sides are about equal. If you get 99% for side A and 1% for side B, you are pretty sure of the result. If you get 51% for one side and 49% for the other, the answer is indeterminate.

I welcome the growing gap between remainers and leavers for this reason. It means the findings of the polls are more and more reliable.

We are in agreement about making political polls illegal though. I support that not because the polls are fiddled - the aren't - but because they are generally pretty accurate.

Knowing what the public is thinking promotes politicians who are prepared to do ANYTHING to gain power, changing opinion as the wind blows. I would much prefer to have politicians with their own convictions which one can support or reject as you see fit after listening to their arguments.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Ex "I welcome the growing gap between remainers and leavers for this reason. It means the findings of the polls are more and more reliable."

Problem there ex is your basing your belief that their is a growing gap between remainers and leavers on the polls. Cart and Horse..Horse and cart.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Excoriator

Quite so. Doing one that DOESN'T represent the whole of the UK population is a waste of time, misleading, and is pretty well meaningless which I why I attacked it.

Just because you want a UK poll doesn't mean everybody does, local variations are important, just look at the London/non-London divide you often mention.

You could equally argue that a UK poll without a non-UK EU poll is meaningless as well etc etc

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

Just because you want a UK poll doesn't mean everybody does, local variations are important, just look at the London/non-London divide you often mention.

You could equally argue that a UK poll without a non-UK EU poll is meaningless as well etc etc

I don't particularly want a poll at all. But if we are expected to accept it as meaningful, then it has to be done properly. A poll only tells you anything useful about the result of an election if it is a representative sample of all those who can vote.

As to arguing that "a UK poll without a non-UK EU poll is meaningless", then you might be able to do so but I doubt if I could. I don't believe it is true at all.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I don't remember Granny stating that her poll was to represent the result of an election (or even a referendum)???

She was asking WikiWirral people on their opinion, it is strange that you try to turn it into something else (a UK election?) then "trash" what you have tried to turn it into.

Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
I have no idea what was going through Granny's mind. My point is that asking a small self-selecting group of mainly senior citizens is an utterly pointless thing to do whatever she imagined might be shown by it.

I haven't trashed properly set up polls. You did that, with accusations of fiddling and god knows what else.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I think there will be a few here who quite rightly would object to being called "senior citizens". I might well have retired a number of years ago but there are quite a number of years until I become a senior citizen, I am in my fifties, there are plenty on WikiWirral that are younger than me.

Read back, I haven't trashed any properly set up polls that were accurate.

Basically you have been arguing against yourself, you misread something or miss-interpret something or make some assumptions then disagree with them instead of disagreeing with what was originally said.

Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Well, for better or worse, here's the most recent poll I can find which has a lot more useful information than anything that includes only us, whatever you want to call us as a group.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questio...-at-the-end-of-the-brexit-process/?notes

2004 people were asked their views and you can download all the detailed tables and see their methodology (ICM was the polling company)

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
The Wiki Poll is meaningless for the very fact that it seems to be set up as a:

Granny v Exoriator

fight

Pathetic. Not voted.

Whatever the result- it means nothing.

Wiki Guardian
Wiki Guardian
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

Granny v Exoriator

fight

Pathetic. Not voted.

Similar to your opinion.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

Granny v Exoriator

fight

Pathetic. Not voted.

Are we bothered ? No !

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Excoriator
Well, for better or worse, here's the most recent poll I can find which has a lot more useful information than anything that includes only us, whatever you want to call us as a group.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questio...-at-the-end-of-the-brexit-process/?notes

2004 people were asked their views and you can download all the detailed tables and see their methodology (ICM was the polling company)

Interesting that there are 57 students when asked about work status and yet only 38 people "still studying" when it came to qualifications. I can only envisage how those figures could be the other way around unless there are 38 people without any qualifications and are now studying for a formal qualification or the questions were imprecise?

The students are an example of where an extremely small sample of 57 (2.8% of survey base ... out of a UK student population of well over 2 million students) which is not going to be representative of students is then weighted and boosted to 83 (4.1%). How can you use a weighting factor on a group that you know is probably not representative of the group the weighting factor is targetted at? So at least 4.1% of the data they have used is meaningless.

The survey population of 2004 is too small to sub-group and especially when using individual weighting factors for those sub-groups. Over 90% of the results they have produced have far too much uncertainty and could easily be misleading.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 8:57pm
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,116 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,111 Spotted!