Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,882 guests, and 536 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master

This is a query , as I would like to know if there are any restrictions on the use of straight jackets within the Police Force in this country.

A friend of mine who lives in Suffolk, has had a breakdown a couple of months ago. She has been put on medication which is changing her whole personality. From a sweet caring person to a demented confused and at times vicious with tongue, person.

Two nights ago, after being friends with me for over 20 yrs she sent a nasty text message, which completely threw me.

It turns out that the same night she hit her mother, although her mother said it was not hard and she had no marks.

Neighbours phoned the police, they arrested her took her to the police station, strip searched her, had her lying flat out on the floor, took ALL her clothes off whilst a couple of WPS giggled, and then put her into a straight jacket.

This person is 60yrs of age, and 5ft.1ins tall. and built like a sparrow.

Is this practice acceptable and legal, because I can't find anything that says it is or it isn't ?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Google Ads
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Straitjackets have not been used since the late 1990s they strip you down so you don't harm yourself put you in leg and hand restraints then a police doctor called to see if you need a sedative this is called a code grey

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
They have to justify a strip search, the only reason they are allowed to perform it is if they have reason to believe something is being concealed, they are not permitted to do it as a routine or random check nor any other pathetic made up excuse.

The strip search should normally be carried out by one person only, if there are safety concerns for the searcher obviously there should be more but NO spectators nor witnesses nor anyone standing by in view unless they are directly involved.

The WPSs giggling is unprofessional and demeaning and worth a complaint in its own right.

You need to clarify if this was a strip search, a strip to redress or an intimate search which are all separate issues.

As edd has said, there are no approved straitjackets for use by UK Police, however they do have belts which are used to restrain arms and or legs (and especially not heads as was abused in one case). A medical professional may be able to specify a straightjacket of some sort but not the police.

I would also be asking the NHS about the suitability of the medication they have provided, if the medication is making a person manic while not under direct care then there is something seriously wrong with the treatment programme.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
link this tells you what they can do and what you can do smile

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Granny ,can you be sure your friend is relating the truth? Did someone go with her to the police station who has verified what happened ? I only query it because I had a similar experience with a 50 year old friend of mine , about 10 years ago.

She was a level headed divorced woman who lived with her 73 yr old mum ,so when she rang one evening to tell me she was having trouble with her mum turning nasty on her, hitting her , stealing from her, not feeding the pets, and generally showing signs of dementia, I had no reason to question it .She told me her mum would likely ring me and say my friend was trying to get her sectioned ....and just to humour her kindly.

I got a call the day after from the mum who said her daughter was acting strangely , threatening her, ignoring her pets needs, not eating , and generally speaking as if in a fantasy world. I did as asked by my friend, and offered some kind words.

Long story short , I got a call from a mutual friend a few days later, saying my friend had been found wandering in town in her pyjamas in the rain, in the middle of the day ,and someone had called an ambulance . Turns out she had had some sort of a breakdown ,had become psychotic, and there was nothing wrong with the mum at all .

I believe drugs can change your personality and perception just as much as a 'natural' breakdown can , so was just wondering if your friend is thinking normally as although we know the police dont always play by the rules, claims of a straight jacket sound quite extreme ?

granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
very interesting points made and I thank you all.
I do wonder if she meant 'strip search' as in 'strip search' or if she just meant that all her clothes were removed. This is something I do wonder about, as I do not know any reason WHY this would happen.

I will ask her to clarify, as when she spoke tonight, she was clearly, extremely distressed and had to attend court this morning. She didn't say if she had been charged with anything and I didn't ask, mainly because the whole conversation was becoming too much for her.

This experience is something she has never known before.
I spoke to her mother and she seemed to verify the story as told to myself, before her daughter was arrested.

Apparently there were no places available in the psychiatric wards anywhere.

There was nobody with her and eventually she managed to get a solicitor, whom she said was a nice guy and got her released after hours. She also said that the police twisted everything that she said. That is possible ! However, that's not something anyone would know.

The only other person involved was her daughter, who lives on the South Coast and was communicating by phone to the police.

They were also refusing her medication.

It all seems very dramatic, which it will be to her anyway, but I cannot imagine, if she does not know how the police operate, how she could make up so much in her head.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Addict
Online Content
Forum Addict
Doesn't everything in cop shops get videoed now, after the Police And Criminal Evidence act? She should complain and it could be investigated. Mind you, the equipment used is notoriously unreliable, and often it is found that the tapes evaporate or fail to work on just that occasion.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I think under PACE, once the accused is at the station there is only a requirement that interviews are recorded, this may be audio or video but video is preferred.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hey Granny - agree with Venice, difficult to get to truth - who would know she was "strip search" then put in straight jacket.....

Why would police arrest her - did the mother say she wanted to press charges. Why didn't neighbors call ambulance?

Searches done to make sure they have nothing to harm themselves or the police I would guess - last thing police would want is someone self harming with something that was not picked up in a search- then they get criticised for that!! They can't win either way

Reality is with cuts in funding all over the place this may in the past have been better dealt with in some form of medical-psychiatric unit, but these all gone and now sadly the police often left to deal as best they can....and it is not just on the wirral

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/der...n-cells/story-30232619-detail/story.html

Last edited by oldpm01; 5th May 2017 9:43am.
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Oldpm01, I do have to consider some of what you and others have said.

That is why I pointed out that she may have got confused about a 'strip search' rather than being 'stripped'. She clearly had been stripped from the account she gave me and she would not have any previous knowledge about what goes on in a police station/cell, so her account seemed to be viable although I do not know the reasons for such actions.
Yes, I am looking at this with possible confusion being part of the account, so I will be in contact with her again (or her mum) and see once the situation has calmed what else might come forth.

However, I still cannot understand why she would give her account of being stripped , when she had not or did not know previously how they are performed. Saying that, I only know from internet search, where it lays out procedures of such . She does not have the internet.

She was a person who was always supportive of the law and our police forces... she has complete hate for them now and called them animals. In her words, " They are worse than animals, because I like animals".

~Chief Seattle
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Granny if the police think she will harm herself they will strip her eg if she's got jogging pants on with a cord in same with a hoodie, the police can't let her have her meds without say so from the docs and if she has any marks from self harming they're supposed to look in on her every 10 to 20 minutes this could be by walking up to cell and looking in or Vidor on front desk

As I'm not a woman lol they may of took her bra too if it had wire in it??? I don't know

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Video* dam auto spelling

granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
According to what she told me, they took everything off , including her knickers. That was when she broke down again, saying "even my knickers" !

~Chief Seattle
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Try not to upset yourself too much granny till you're sure about the truth of it --youve already said that the medication has changed her personality , so not far to believing her brain was translating her fears about what might happen in custody, into 'reality'

granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Thanks Venice. I have not been able to contact her. Sent messages, phoned, but no response. Yesterday,I spoke to her mum , who is in fact 91yrs of age, and she was clearly distraught, saying her daughters personality has changed but she had been to Dr.'s and told medication to be reduced gradually.
Her mum said that daughter on bad days just rants, to which she (the mum) doesn't respond , but then she's accused of being a zombie, so she can't win and there is no help from anyone for either of them other than a psychiatrists appointment each week for the daughter.

Well, we know what that means. 10 mins of the same questions that were answered last week, and a load of tick boxes.... Keep taking the pills ! So no help at all. Those medications are lethal too and can have such dreadful side effects.

The difficulty is, that although personality can change, we cannot and should not assume that the person who is ill is telling lies or hallucinating in such matters. If we do that, then how many more could be abused or cruelly treated when their pleas fall on deaf ears ?

So difficult.

~Chief Seattle

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am