Forums
Posted By: bromguy43 Taxi Driving Advice Wirral - 16th Mar 2015 6:55pm
Is there still any money to be made taxiing on the wirral or airport runs thinking of plating my car but dont know the costs of tests and plate etc and charges from taxi rank for rradio any advice welcomed
Posted By: starakita Re: wirral taxis - 16th Mar 2015 7:14pm
Probably best getting in touch with the licensing office at Wallasey town hall,they can give you the information.There is a test you have to do as well.
Posted By: bromguy43 Re: wirral taxis - 16th Mar 2015 7:23pm
I know that im just interested to know if any taxi drivers on ere if there still a decent living from it
Posted By: joeblogs Re: wirral taxis - 16th Mar 2015 7:33pm
£100 a week radio
£120 a week fuel
£60 a week insurance or get your own,but can be quite expensive
£90 a week settle car or in your case use your own
£160 a year to plate car
£40 to mot at Walsh autos
£? upkeep tyres brakes ect
private hire can be 10 years old now they have not updated there website,after 6 years old they need to be tested every 6 months

its not a good game at the mo,and nothing like it used to be,its a full time thing now not many just doing the weekend as its no where near as busy as it once was,hope this helps
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: wirral taxis - 16th Mar 2015 10:50pm
i was on the private hire at one point- and yes it was in the last 8 years and taxi drivers were saying the same old "oh this game is not like it used to be". I agree its soul destoying to be out there for 8 hours and take home £40. But , as you said, its a full time thing and you need to work like 60 hours a week to make a living but you can make money enough to get by and pay for a relatively ok home. Use your own car, get your own insurance, and make sure you can take a lot of abuse. The good people outweigh the bad but when they are bad they are bad!!
Ideally i would not like to bother with it again but I would if I had too. You really get to experience the bad society has to offer! To sum up, cab drivers will always moan they dont earn enough- maybe they dont.... but its a job. Good luck
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: wirral taxis - 16th Mar 2015 11:24pm
The days when drivers used to make a decent living working only 20 hours a week have gone and customers are not getting overcharged like they were.

The radio companies need a shake-up, £100 a week is unrealistic in this day and age, no doubt apps like Uber will help this process.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: wirral taxis - 16th Mar 2015 11:37pm
I used to do taxis years ago, borrowed someones badge and done his shift while he was out with a previous Saturday night lady passenger, and he had plenty of those. Lucky sod.
Posted By: j_demo Re: wirral taxis - 17th Mar 2015 7:27pm
I got charged £4.80 to go from by wilkinsons in Liscard up seaview road to warren drive, a journey of 1.1 miles... nearly had a heart attack.

i should add this was in a Hackney
Posted By: workinclasshero Re: wirral taxis - 17th Mar 2015 7:58pm
Originally Posted by j_demo
I got charged £4.80 to go from by wilkinsons in Liscard up seaview road to warren drive, a journey of 1.1 miles... nearly had a heart attack.

i should add this was in a Hackney
What are you moaning for £4.80 from liscard to new brighton sounds reasonable to me,if there were two or more of you its cheaper than the bus fares
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: wirral taxis - 17th Mar 2015 8:11pm
Doesn't anyone walk anymore?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: wirral taxis - 7th Aug 2015 7:47pm
Uber went live at 4pm today in Sefton, the drivers are allowed to operate anywhere in Merseyside.
Posted By: Mark Re: wirral taxis - 7th Aug 2015 7:56pm
Ouch !!
Posted By: starakita Re: wirral taxis - 7th Aug 2015 8:00pm
If I need a taxi I'll use a firm I know. Uber have your card details on file so you pay them not the driver
Posted By: granny Re: Taxi Driving Advice Wirral - 8th Aug 2015 5:59pm
Originally Posted by bromguy43
Is there still any money to be made taxiing on the wirral or airport runs thinking of plating my car but dont know the costs of tests and plate etc and charges from taxi rank for rradio any advice welcomed

Get your Cycling Proficiency Test, than go and buy a rickshaw.

£200 per mile, not to be sniffed at !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-1...01364887905?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
© Wirral-Wikiwirral