Forums
Posted By: keef666 Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 2nd May 2014 9:31am
So the time has come around again for this Championship to take place once more on the Wirral,
There i am in my local jobcentre yesterday signing on, and the lady on the other side of the desk points to the leaflet in front of me, and asked " Would you like me to put your name down for this? knowing full well if you say no, then they stop your money, so i said yes, and wondering how the hell i suppose to get there,
I have just come off the Wirral Councils website and on there it has the information with regards this Championship being held and the recruitment drive for temporary jobs, they expect thousands of people to turn up, they even say some people take holidays from their jobs and get work here so they can see Famous Golfers [ how sad is that? ]
I have no interest in Golf, still don't know if this is the one played kicking a round object or the one with a wooden bat and three sticks in the ground,

Posted By: Gibbo Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 2nd May 2014 9:47am
Originally Posted by keef666
wondering how the hell i suppose to get there

Come on, Hoylake isn't the other side of the world.

You could get there on a bike in under an hour.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 2nd May 2014 11:10am
With the right timed connections you could do it in 30/45 mins.Bus to station and train to Hoylake. Must be better than doing nothing and who knows what it will lead to.Mersey travel website has all the info needed. Good luck with the new venture.
http://www.traveline-northwest.co.uk/cms/content/welcome.xhtml
Posted By: _Steve_ Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 2nd May 2014 1:27pm
Your attitude as a job seeker stinks.
Posted By: venice Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 2nd May 2014 3:58pm
Keefe may or may not be in a position to cycle to Hoylake - we dont know, but in principle, are'nt there going to be a lot of people applying for jobs generally, who either havent got a bike, cant balance on a bike, are too nervous to be on the road, or who arent fit enough to ride for more than ten minutes ? (not all applicants will be young/athletic)

Also Im wondering if you do go by bike and its a long ride, maybe in the wind and rain , possibly half uphill - and you walk in puffed ,feeling shattered ,dishevelled and soggy,how likely is it you'll be seen and interviewed at your best?

Transport can swallow a big lump of cash - couldnt we have some kind of public transport token system made available for the job centres to give people in order to attend interviews ? Surely the Council could negotiate something with the bus/train companies that wouldnt be too expensive for them ?

Posted By: venice Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 2nd May 2014 4:53pm
Actually , I take the middle para out -- I guess you just go early enough to relax and spruce up a bit before you actually go into your interview
Posted By: rossie Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 2nd May 2014 8:10pm
I think what the OP is saying, is what is the point of him going for an interview for a job that thousands of people are applying for and for which he has no knowledge of and in his view no hope of getting.He has a point if the job centres are sending all candidates without any sort of screening it is unfair. Going for interviews cost money.
I think there is some help available with fares from the job centre.
Posted By: granny Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 2nd May 2014 8:25pm
Keef666. Don't worry too much, it will probably only be for 10 days anyway. You may have to attend a couple of meetings, telling you where to meet, what to wear, but the golf is only a short time. I'd say, go along and enjoy the party atmosphere, and the experience would be good on your CV.

A couple more possibilities on here: http://www.theopen.com/en/Information/Employment-volunteers.aspx
Posted By: sam_w Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 2nd May 2014 8:53pm
Just because its a golf event doesn't mean you will be directly involved in the game. You could be working in the car parks 1mile away from the entrance.

Its another thing on your CV and future employees will look positively on you getting experience, even if its only 2 weeks.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 2nd May 2014 9:45pm
My lad and i did the womens open golf last year. Got paid a decent wage for sitting on a chair, standing up whenever a car appearaed and pointed them to a car park. Also had time to go and watch a couple of golfers. and walk round the course. Good on your CV shows your prepared to work. Appreciate the hassle of working for just a few days then having to resign on .
Posted By: DJDuck Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 2nd May 2014 11:23pm
Christ on a bike, I agree with Steve, get off your arse and stop complaining. A job is a job. Travelling from Leasowe to Hoylake is not exactly a trek of Hannibal proportions is it??

Plus you might get on tv and be snapped up as a model!!
Posted By: Alonso Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 3rd May 2014 11:20am
My dad was a docker. In the summer, during his 2 week holidays he rode his bike from Cleveland Street, Birkenhead, every morning to the market gardens. Sometimes Leasowe and other times Meols. He'd work all day picking vegetables because it gave him a bit of cash in hand. He also brought home some of the vegetables. He had 5 kids to feed and I don't think he got much, if any, holiday pay. To him it was essential to keep his kids from going hungry. What a different world we live in fifty years later.
There are Polish people living in Birkenhead who get up early every morning to travel miles to Queensferry to the chicken packaging factory and then in the afternoon they do cleaning jobs in offices. They should offer them a job at the golf, they'd squeeze it in somehow.
Posted By: granny Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 3rd May 2014 12:05pm
The father of a lady I know walked from somewhere in the Lake District to Liverpool to find work in the 1930's .
He went to the shipping offices but there were no jobs. Fortunately one of the owners offered him a job on his farm in Cheshire.
Family moved and he never looked back.
As Alonso says, what a different world we live in now !
Posted By: Mark Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 3rd May 2014 3:46pm
I have seen tweeted that there is about 1,000 jobs up for grabs, not sure what disciplines, but even local traders are going to need extra temp staff too.

At the least good experience for anyone.
Posted By: granny Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 3rd May 2014 5:34pm

Don't anybody let the name 'Ambassador' put you off, in this case, it simply means someone providing a service for visitors.

http://www.vcawirral.org.uk/index.php/news-detail/items/open-golf-ambassadors-needed.html

I don't understand why this is being kept so quiet. Now's the time.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 6th May 2014 11:04am
1000 temporary jobs. Recruitment tomorrow Weds 7th MAy. http://www.wirral.gov.uk/news/01-05-2014/major-recruitment-drive-begins-open-championship
Posted By: solvas42 Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 6th May 2014 7:56pm
Would not a thousand permanent jobs with a decent rate of pay be more of a an advantage to anyone who is a serious job seeker,also with good conditions. Instead of two weeks of utter mundain work to suit the DWP, and all the do gooders who want people to work for nothing. Hope you read this ESTHER MCVEY.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Jobs : Liverpool Open Golf Championship - 6th May 2014 9:30pm
Surely mundane work must be better than no work, albeit possibly only for a short period. Even the best jobs have mundanity and become tedious at times. Of course a thousand permanent jobs would be better but as the Chinese proverb says "a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step". Look at their economy now.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral