Forums
Posted By: hoochtaz ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 12:02pm
Hi,My husband has just lost his job after 16 years working for one of the main supermarkets.The thing is,because he had his job so long,and because I have been in my job for years,neither of us know how to look for a job anymore.Years ago you just went to the jobcentre and picked a job off a board.He has looked daily on "jobmatch",but where else can he look.Are there any good agencies that specialize in retail that he can register with?Any suggestions will be gratefully received ,thanks!
Posted By: Sneezy Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 12:34pm
It's a scary world out there !!
Good Luck with the job hunting thumbsup
Posted By: LittleFoote Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 1:00pm
Make sure your CV is up to date and change it depending on what job you are applying for.

Once the CV or application form has been sent give them a ring a week later to make sure they have got it, this is a good way to show you are keen and also you can ask questions, how many jobs are available, how many applicants, how many short listed, will they let you know either way, when can you expect an interview etc etc.

Don't just apply for jobs advertised at the job centre, there are loads of jobs o the internet and some jobs don't get advertised so send CVs to companies you would like to work for. Again taylor the covering letter, show them you have done research about the company.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 1:22pm
Right here goes:

1. First of all, get a well written CV together.

Something like this but without all the unnecessary borders and pictures. Just nice, easy to read, text in Arial font. You CAN put a portrait shot on the CV but this can work for or against you depending on who sees the CV. Id leave it off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/raiseyourgame/images/good_cv.pdf

2. You are more likely to get work in an industry that you have a lot of experience in. If he has worked in retail for over 16 years, it would be fruitless and frustrating to decide that being a librarian or working in a mine would be a good choice. He will have the best chance of finding work in the retail sector. Start there.

3. When employers look for potential staff they want to see the following on the CV.

- Relevant experience. If your husband has 5 years of stacking shelves, 5 years of checkout and 5 years of line management experience, put the highest responsibility first like this:

October 2006 - Present
Staff Team Leader

During this position I was responsible for looking after blah blah blah.

July 2002 - October 2006
Senior Checkout Manager

Responsible for managing the checkouts, making sure that shoppers were being served quickly. I achieved this through communication with staff and being an approachable manager.

January 1997 - July 2002
Shop floor assistant

Duties included:

- Stacking Shelves
- Sweeping
- Assisting with customer enquiries

The other thing they are looking for is that you have worked for competitors. Now, I know Asda in particular use this to NOT hire staff, but some of the other supermarkets LOVE staff who have the same skills. So... If the job spec is:

Hypermart Ltd are seeking a Team Leader for their Birkenhead Branch. Must have:

- Experience of people management
- Experience of working within the bakery or chilled foods section
- Experience of dealing with customer complaints and queries
- A presentable appearance and friendly demeanour

Your CV needs to say:

October 2006 - Present
Staff Team Leader

During this position I was responsible for looking after 17 staff members such Checkout Assistants, cleaners and security staff. I have experience of working within the Bakery, Frozen Foods and home entertainment departments and feel comfortable in all areas of the store.

My past performance proves that I am comfortable in the role of manager and that I have expereince of dealing with difficult situations which arise from customers and staff disputes.

I am a keen cyclist / runner / walker (WHATEVER!!!) and look after myself.

Right. So if the spec says you need experience of cleaning toilets and you have done it in the past, MAKE SURE ITS ON THE CV.

The purpose of your CV is to get an interview, nothing else.

You will need to tweak your CV depending on the role you are going for. If its more junior, play down the management experience, if its more senior talk more about the senior level roles.

Make sure you target roles that are relevant to what he has DONE, not what he is interested IN. This is a mistake many people make when applying for jobs.

I am very interested in computer programming and playing xbox. It doesnt mean I should apply for Lead Programmer at Microsoft. It would be like ice skating uphill.

As sad as it may sound, in this job market, noone is going to give you a chance in the hope that you MIGHT be able to do it. They want proof you can do it and that you have done it successfully.

Finally..... Apply, apply, apply.

Use the various jobs boards and upload your CV.

Totaljobs.com
Jobsite.co.uk
CVlibrary
Indeed

Depending on what level jobs he is going for, your local paper, other supermarket websites and dont forget the main one.

ASKING SOMEONE YOU KNOW!!! If you know ANYONE who works in a simiar place, ask them who the hiring manager is and go DIRECTLY to them with your CV. Either by email or phone or preferably face to face.

Finding a job isnt easy, but if you stick to common sense and keep your head up you will find work again quickly.

Dont rely on the jobcentre as their aim is to keep you on benefits so that they can move you onto training courses and fudge unemployment figures. Dont forget, if they get everyone off benefits then they would be out of work....

If he is proactive and likeable and confident, he wont be out of work very long. Once you start signing on, its a downward spiral and he will find himself getting depressed and doubting his worth. The job centre is a place of ruin, use as a last resort.

Last but not least, good luck. If you need interview advice further down the line, please feel free!

Posted By: hoochtaz Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 2:01pm
Thankyou,it all sounds like good advice.When you're working you hear people moaning about how hard it is to get a job,and without being in that position you just dismiss it as people not really wanting to get work.Now we are seeing just what it's like out there,and I tell you it's definitely changed my mind.Here's hoping something comes up!
Posted By: unicornace Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 3:13pm
If you still need a hand pop into Seacome Library between 2 and 5 on a Thursday or Friday they have a guy helping people on the IT side he'll be happy to help
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 3:15pm
Good luck. Im recruiting for Nuclear Physicist roles at the moment and im getting applications from Chippy workers and Admin assistants. People dont look at what they are applying for.

If you keep it relevant, you will be fine!
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 3:27pm
Also, ive heard of people paying to get CV's professionally done.

DO NOT PAY ANYONE TO DO YOUR CV, 99% of the time its a rip off.

If you need CV writing advice, im happy to give it for free.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 3:31pm
Deano, just want to comment on the piece where you said "go and ask who the hiring manager is". Through recent experience as I too am looking for a job, if you ask that question in any supermarket whether or not you know people who work there, you will simply be told that all applications are now online. They do not take any CV's or letters from you. I tried, as I used to work in ASDA Brom years ago and have kept in touch with folk from there. It makes no difference frown
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 3:34pm
Originally Posted by DeanoBirko

Just curious Deano (I'm assuming you hire people) as unfortunately I got a letter today saying that I was unsuccessful in getting a position I had interviewed for last week frown If I were to call or email the interviewer would they be able to say what it was that I did/didn't do that prevented me from getting hired? Is this something you've had asked of you too?
Posted By: unicornace Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 3:53pm
Unfortunately the people doing the hiring in these companies are getting so many responses these days that they cant devote any time to feedback.

When I was hiring a few years back I got so many applications that anything with a spelling mistake got binned ..I had to have some kind of system!!
Posted By: chriskay Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 4:09pm
Originally Posted by unicornace

When I was hiring a few years back I got so many applications that anything with a spelling mistake got binned ..I had to have some kind of system!!

Shouldn't think that left you with many. wink
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 4:21pm
Good luck. Im recruiting for Nuclear Physicist roles at the moment and im getting applications from Chippy workers and Admin assistants. People dont look at what they are applying for.

If you keep it relevant, you will be fine!
Possibly due to the threat of sanctioning if they do not apply for x amount of jobs per week .
Posted By: cathie Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 5:00pm
LittleFoote I think you need to look at my CV haha it's as old & knackered as me :-0

www.indeed.co.uk is a good site.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 5:04pm
Just thought I'd say that it was very good of DeanoBirko to put so much thought and effort into his reply.
Posted By: Rambo Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 5:11pm
Here is a list of websites for jobsearch. (If it works, never uploaded a pdf before!)

Attached File
Useful Websites.pdf  (1259 downloads)
Posted By: eggandchips Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 7:08pm
i noticed poundland in liscard is looking for a manager, if that is of any use

good luck
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: ways to find a job! - 29th Aug 2013 9:02pm
Hoochtaz, I'm in the same boat having been employed for more than 14 years and now facing the starting over nightmare frown

Posted By: cathie Re: ways to find a job! - 30th Aug 2013 7:05am
Originally Posted by cathie
LittleFoote I think you need to look at my CV haha it's as old & knackered as me :-0

www.indeed.co.uk is a good site.

Oops meant DeanoBirko :-)
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: ways to find a job! - 30th Aug 2013 7:51am
Usually depends on the company. Some larger ones will simply say "Sorry, someone else got it.". Some companies will tell you if you ask nicely.

"Just wanted to know what I could do different next time." If the hiring manager is not too busy, they should be able to give you something.

Originally Posted by Elizabeth

Just curious Deano (I'm assuming you hire people) as unfortunately I got a letter today saying that I was unsuccessful in getting a position I had interviewed for last week frown If I were to call or email the interviewer would they be able to say what it was that I did/didn't do that prevented me from getting hired? Is this something you've had asked of you too?
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: ways to find a job! - 30th Aug 2013 7:54am
No problems. I recruit in the Nuclear sector for a living and you still get bloody idiots.

I had a guy on £95 an hour turn up to a Power Plant steaming drunk and got sent home. £95 an HOUR!!!!!
Posted By: Ade_V Re: ways to find a job! - 31st Aug 2013 9:43am
A quick tip that I've found helpful in the past; when you get to the end of the interview, the interviewer will almost always ask if you have any questions for them.

An excellent question to ask is: "Do you feel that I am the right person for the job?". This will give you some instant feedback as to whether you're likely to get the job or not; and if the interviewer feels you've got some weaknesses to address, this gives you the opportunity to profess how keen you are to learn, etc...

As a contractor, I've probably had more job interviews than most, and that one question has served me extremely well over the years.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral