Forums
Posted By: paul110180 employment - 26th Mar 2013 5:55pm
Hi can any 1 help me I applied for a job and past all the tests and got interviews on the medical questions he said to be honest and I put down that I suffered with anxiety related stress aka PTSD from militay and childhood trauma but I'm fit to do any job I also got a letter from therapy leader to say I'm fit yet they are not proceeding any further with my application as they say its a matter for environmental health any advice much appreciated I really need this job :-(
Posted By: j_demo Re: employment - 26th Mar 2013 7:13pm
right so you have applied for a job, passed all the appropriate tests, you were open and honest with the medical questions and you have a supporting letter and yet you aren't being considered for the post due to "environmental health" reasons... may i ask what the post you're applying for is?
Posted By: jerdubig Re: employment - 26th Mar 2013 7:18pm
Sounds so unfair. I don't know if there would be anything under equal opportunities ,you would need someone who was knowledgeable about the new equality law. I can understand you being disappointed but sounds like they don't treat people very well. I wish you well looking for work.
Posted By: MadonnaFan Re: employment - 26th Mar 2013 7:19pm
Learn to spell?
Posted By: Salmon Re: employment - 26th Mar 2013 7:58pm
Originally Posted by MadonnaFan
Learn to spell?

What a horribly,insensitive comment.I can only see 2 spelling mistakes, of which 1 is clearly a simple error and the other almost certainly a spell checker correction.Surely if you have nothing positive to say it must be better to say nothing.

To Paul
As other, more positive posters have said it would be sensible to seek some form of professional advice.It is still illegal to refuse to employ a person due to a disability and surely what you have described will come under some form of disability albeit you are now recovered. Best of look in your job hunting.
Posted By: Dilly Re: employment - 26th Mar 2013 8:03pm
Originally Posted by Salmon
Learn to spell?

What a horribly,insensitive comment.I can only see 2 spelling mistakes, of which 1 is clearly a simple error and the other almost certainly a spell checker correction.Surely if you have nothing positive to say it must be better to say nothing.

To Paul
As other, more positive posters have said it would be sensible to seek some form of professional advice.It is still illegal to refuse to employ a person due to a disability and surely what you have described will come under some form of disability albeit you are now recovered. Best of look in your job hunting.
withthat
Posted By: SHLEEPY Re: employment - 26th Mar 2013 8:42pm
Its probably just me but I wouldn't mention anything like that unless it was a registered disability. Especially not at the application stage of a job interview.
Posted By: missmahjong Re: employment - 26th Mar 2013 8:42pm
Learn to spell?
Yes i feel you are being insensitive, because he is trying hard to gain employment and ALREADY states he has Anxiety and Stress problems. He needs support not someone commenting on spelling.....
Posted By: SHLEEPY Re: employment - 26th Mar 2013 8:51pm
The best advice I would give is not to declare things like this to potential employers unless it is a disability. I don't mean to sound harsh but employers have a huge issue with people taking time off for stress/anxiety already and it costs a lot of money

I wouldn't mention it as the employers would probably already be worrying about you having time off and them having to cough up.

I appreciate you were trying to be honest, but you really need to stand out from the crowd during these difficult times with jobs regularly seeing more than 20 applicants. Don't include this on future applications or you'll be lucky to get past the interview stage.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: employment - 26th Mar 2013 9:31pm
Exactly as above, unless you are legally required to declare a disability then your life is your own business. Don't tell them anything to give them ammunition to say no. If they are down to the last few candidates for a role and one has listed previous issues, it's only human nature to steer a bit clear.
Posted By: gingevans Re: employment - 26th Mar 2013 10:42pm
Hi. What is the type of position you have applied for? It seems that if they where happy with your application/ interview but the only reason they gave for not giving you the job was your PTSD, surely thats unfair, especially if you've been given the thumbs up from therapy. Did they give you their reasons in writing at your interview??
It doesn't seem like a completely fair interview. You could be their best employee given half a chance.
Not sure if you would wanna actually want to work there after the way its been handled but good luck
Posted By: venice Re: employment - 26th Mar 2013 11:14pm
Good luck Paul.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: employment - 26th Mar 2013 11:39pm
Learn to spell?

Grow up wink
Posted By: MadonnaFan Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 7:17am
Tongue in cheek, sorry, didn't expect that response.
Posted By: paul110180 Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 9:09am
The position is to work on a production line ? I've even completed a physical assessment and was way above all other candidates ! I'd like to say thank u all for ur help and support . oh and as far as my spelling and grammer I was never very good even as a kid but I'm very intelligent and never really been employed for my brains but for brawn ! Any way I don't need to explain myself to any 1 I'm the war vet with commendation remember ;-)
Posted By: paul110180 Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 9:10am
Many thanks .
Posted By: paul110180 Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 9:12am
Many thanks salmon .
Posted By: rossie Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 10:09am
Hi Paul all may not be lost what they mean is that they have to run your application through occupational health. Occupational health will make a decision so I suggest that you give it a couple of days and then ring and ask if occupational health have made a decision.
Good luck and if you are turned down it is their loss and it might be worth having a word with British Legion.
Posted By: Salmon Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 11:30am
Tongue in cheek, sorry, didn't expect that response.

Should that read foot in mouth?
Posted By: Littlemink Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 2:49pm
Keep your head up. If they dont want you there are plenty more that will, you have loads of transferable skills for the Army, so dont just look for production/factory work.
Posted By: Littlemink Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 2:50pm
From the Army!
Posted By: paul110180 Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 3:47pm
Well ill settle for almost anything at the mo or I'm gonna lose my home and the bloody social won't help me out too busy giving all money to bums. I'm in desperate need of work .
Posted By: SUExx Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 6:51pm
It seems that they don't like to help decent people in difficulty, but they don't mind doling money out to people who have claimed for years and are a drain on our society. If you are someone who has worked and paid taxes for years you get nothing bit if you sit back and don't or have never worked you get money left right and centre.
Posted By: julie253 Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 7:36pm
Good luck - hope you find something soon x
Posted By: paul110180 Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 7:38pm
Yes that's true sue that's why I'm gonna lose my home because they won't help me at 33 years old I've put so much into helping others and doing good and now I'm down on my luck. No 1 is interested it hurts :-( I'm not saying that any 1 owes me anything but I want a break .
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 7:47pm
Originally Posted by SUExx
It seems that they don't like to help decent people in difficulty, but they don't mind doling money out to people who have claimed for years and are a drain on our society. If you are someone who has worked and paid taxes for years you get nothing bit if you sit back and don't or have never worked you get money left right and centre.
Good point Sue,The ones who have claimed for years have no intention of trying to find work,And never will.
Posted By: Wench Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 7:53pm
Originally Posted by paul110180
Yes that's true sue that's why I'm gonna lose my home because they won't help me at 33 years old I've put so much into helping others and doing good and now I'm down on my luck. No 1 is interested it hurts :-( I'm not saying that any 1 owes me anything but I want a break .

ABF might be able to help you Paul. If you need any help, give me a shout smile
Posted By: paul110180 Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 7:57pm
What's ABF ? I'm interested in help is it a charity for armed forces
Posted By: Wench Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 8:16pm
It is now called The Soldier's Charity (it was the Army Benevolent Fund). There's a support line - 0207 811 3207, or you can apply for help online. It goes through SSAFA and RBL, then Corps, then to ABF but they are fabulous! Mate has been helped back on his feet (well, stumps, but you know what I mean) by them & now helps others with ABF.

Might be worth a shot contacting SSAFA & Combat Stress too. If you want help with any of the forms etc, just ask wink

Just had a thought, you may have been in the Andrew, a Bootneck or a Crab - apologies for assuming you are a Pongo smile
Posted By: paul110180 Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 8:22pm
I'm doin therapy EMDR treatment for my ilness I left the forces in 2002 and I've only just been diagnosed with PTSD ha I just thought I was eccentric Lmao .
Posted By: paul110180 Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 8:26pm
Oh and I really appropriate all ur help and advice but I am able bodied to work unlike my fellow fallen or injured brothers in arms and I could never bring myself to use any charity funds as they are for the care and the families of the fallen. Maybe its a case of pride ha .
Posted By: Wench Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 8:28pm
I'm doin therapy EMDR treatment for my ilness I left the forces in 2002 and I've only just been diagnosed with PTSD ha I just thought I was eccentric Lmao .

That's a relatively new treatment but has some good feedback. Got a mate on it & he's doing well thus far smile

Oh and I really appropriate all ur help and advice but I am able bodied to work unlike my fellow fallen or injured brothers in arms and I could never bring myself to use any charity funds as they are for the care and the families of the fallen. Maybe its a case of pride ha .

Give your head a wobble! That's what it's there for! Just because you can't see an "injury" makes no difference! Don't make me come & kick your arrse - I'd fall over for a start raftl
Posted By: paul110180 Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 8:35pm
Its very tiring ha. Maybe we could meet up for a coffe and chat ,
Posted By: Wench Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 8:37pm
Any time mate smile
Posted By: SUExx Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 8:42pm
Paul, you sound a decent sort and i so hope that you find the help and support you need. It so annoys and saddens me when genuine people are denied help.
Posted By: paul110180 Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 8:43pm
Where u from ? I'm free tomoz ? .
Posted By: paul110180 Re: employment - 27th Mar 2013 8:48pm
Thanks sue xx
Posted By: dave_h Re: employment - 29th Mar 2013 5:31pm
Learn to spell?

cock
Posted By: guitarlad Re: employment - 29th Mar 2013 6:52pm
Originally Posted by dave_h
Learn to spell?

cock
Haha good one mate.
Posted By: MadonnaFan Re: employment - 29th Mar 2013 7:28pm
Originally Posted by guitarlad
Originally Posted by dave_h
Learn to spell?

cock
Haha good one mate.

I'd have gone with a capital C and a full stop, but congratulations on grasping the basics.
Posted By: Abbot Re: employment - 29th Mar 2013 9:34pm
Im having the same treatment for PTSD at the moment from serving in the army.
I recieved a letter from atos the other day saying i need to go for some kind of medical check to see if i can go back to work - so nervous.
I would love a job so much but i can barely walk out the front door without losing it.
I dont know what to do, feel so lost.
Posted By: beanie65 Re: employment - 30th Mar 2013 9:48pm
Hi Paul, I would write to them to explain what they mean by a matter for environmental heath, because I'm a unite union rep and haven't got a clue what there talking about.
I'm surprised they gave any reason other than you have been unlucky this time.
If they have used your medical history as a reason then the may be a case of discrimination.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral