Forums
Posted By: MFranks I'm looking for work and having no success. - 9th Jul 2012 3:13pm
Hi my name is Matt and I have been living on Wirral for about 6 years now and have had quite a few temporary jobs in various positions over the years but I have not been able to secure employment longer than 6 months.

I am mainly interested in working in IT as I have a passion for fixing computers and would like to learn more about networking but I am also accustom to working as a Data Entry clerk.

So I was wondering if anyone on here is looking to employ somebody with my skills and experience(see below for details).

EDUCATION & TRAINING:
Wirral Metropolitan College, Birkenhead, Merseyside 2012

Diploma level 1: Carpentry & Joinery

Connect Internet Solutions 2010
City & Guilds: Level 2 ICT Service Technician

Wirral Metropolitan College, Birkenhead, Merseyside 2009-2010
Qualifications
GCSE’s: English Literature (C)

Wirral Metropolitan College, Birkenhead, Merseyside 2006-2007
Qualifications
GCSE’s: Mathematics (D), English Literature (D)

Penryn Sports College, Penryn, Cornwall 2000-2005
Qualifications
GCSE’s: Mathematics, English Language, English Literature, Applied Science, Geography. Graphic Design, Religious Studies, Physical Education, French, Media

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY:

NHS, ST Catherine’s, Birkenhead 1/11/10 - 1/5/11
Entering data into database
Editing client data
Ensuring confidentiality for sensitive data
Entering referral data

BANARDOS, Poulton RD, Wallasey, Wirral 2010 - 1/11/11
Stock rotation and sorting
Cash handling and customer service
Pricing and shop layout
Recording donations and stock on paper

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY CONTINUED:

ASDA Liscard, Wallasey, Wirral Xmas 2009
Till operation and cash handling.
Greeting customers and announcing deals over the microphone.

Hays Education, Liverpool 2008 - 2009
Teaching Assistant (Temporary)

Attending various primary schools, aiding pupils and teachers in a learning environment.

Cadbury’s, Moreton, Merseyside 2008
Breakfast Cook
Customer service, till operation and cash handling, reconciling the cash at the end of the shift, preparing and cooking breakfasts to order.
Washing dishes and maintaining the required hygiene standards.

Trelawne Hotel, Falmouth 2005 - 2006
Kitchen Porter

Assisting the chef, washing dishes and cutlery, cleaning kitchen equipment, wiping the food preparation surfaces, adhering to strict food hygiene standards.

Falmouth Fish, Falmouth 2005
Packer

Packing frozen fish in to cartons.
Reporting any quality control problems to the line manager.
Palletising the cartons and shrink wrapping ready for distribution.
Keeping the work area clean and tidy.

WORK EXPERIENCE:

Culdrose Navy Base, Helston, Cornwall 2004

General Operative

Taking inbound telephone calls, leasing sports rooms and equipment, recording leasing information (manually and electronically), filing, photocopying and running messages.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Posted By: rocks Re: I'm looking for work and having no success. - 9th Jul 2012 5:15pm
good luck with this i hope someone can help you
Posted By: TeamAJ Re: I'm looking for work and having no success. - 9th Jul 2012 6:01pm
The council are currently recruiting for an IT officer. Take a look on their site xx
Posted By: dave_h Re: I'm looking for work and having no success. - 9th Jul 2012 6:27pm
just a point you may be asked, you resat your english in 2009 and got a c, why havent you resat gcse maths to go for a c? what about putting grades for when you were at school, also some perspective employers may ask if your interested in IT and that seemed the way you were going, why do carpentry, maybe put more emphasis on skills your good at and enjoy, try extract these examples from previous jobs which you have done well for several jobs. i would expand a lot more about being a TA, talk about the different types of data used in schools and why it was important.
Posted By: dave_h Re: I'm looking for work and having no success. - 9th Jul 2012 6:28pm
im not being negative, just offering my experience of looking at cv's and extrapalating questions i would ask in a recruiting interview and what i would look for
Posted By: MFranks Re: I'm looking for work and having no success. - 9th Jul 2012 6:46pm
Thanks Rocks, and TeamAJ for the Council heads up.

Hi Dave H, I resat my Maths and English twice after my initial failure at school and in the second Maths resit I took the Higher paper and still only got a D (that was the same year I got my C in English) so I didn't include it but I must have forgotten to take the previous English retake off.

The reason I took carpentry was to branch out myself in hopes that there would be more opportunities for me to get some work.

Also this isn't essentially my C.V this is just a summary of work and qualifications that I have done/obtained over my working life, Usually I add a key skills section and depending on the job Im applying for I try to put the most relevant skills for the position in there and of course a little about me profile.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: I'm looking for work and having no success. - 9th Jul 2012 8:08pm
Have you signed up to any job agencies?
Posted By: MFranks Re: I'm looking for work and having no success. - 9th Jul 2012 8:27pm
Yeah I'm with Red Rock, The receptionist I'm the top of their list for employment but they are waiting for contracts to come in.
Posted By: dave_h Re: I'm looking for work and having no success. - 9th Jul 2012 8:46pm
Originally Posted by MFranks
Thanks Rocks, and TeamAJ for the Council heads up.

Hi Dave H, I resat my Maths and English twice after my initial failure at school and in the second Maths resit I took the Higher paper and still only got a D (that was the same year I got my C in English) so I didn't include it but I must have forgotten to take the previous English retake off.

The reason I took carpentry was to branch out myself in hopes that there would be more opportunities for me to get some work.

Also this isn't essentially my C.V this is just a summary of work and qualifications that I have done/obtained over my working life, Usually I add a key skills section and depending on the job Im applying for I try to put the most relevant skills for the position in there and of course a little about me profile.

trying to help...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I'm looking for work and having no success. - 9th Jul 2012 8:58pm
Originally Posted by MFranks
Yeah I'm with Red Rock, The receptionist I'm the top of their list for employment but they are waiting for contracts to come in.

Sign up to as many as you can fella. Morethe merrier. Keep plucking away is my only advice.
Posted By: j_demo Re: I'm looking for work and having no success. - 9th Jul 2012 9:36pm
if you have an enhanced CRB, sign up to 'office angels' i believe it's called (they take dudes as well as chicks) and they are one of only 3 agencies the NHS uses. so that's more doors open.

where i work might be looking to get another receptionist soon. long story but another one is needed...
Posted By: Zubee Re: I'm looking for work and having no success. - 9th Jul 2012 11:58pm
I have a full lst of job site agencies you can register with if you remind me tomorrow. Sorry, just got home from work knackered, going to bed now.
Posted By: MFranks Re: I'm looking for work and having no success. - 10th Jul 2012 9:58am
Sorry Dave I didn't intend negativity I just wanted to answer some of your questions so you could understand where im coming form XD.

Today I'm applying for the IT Officer job with the council, and I'll look up office angels because that sounds promising.

Thanks for the Advice Paul, Jawide and Zubee.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral