Forums
Posted By: Jobneeded67 How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 28th Sep 2011 10:56am
Hi everybody. Hope you are all coping with this stuffy, uncomfortable heatweave (roll on winter!).

Just thought I'd ask how is everybody's job hunting going? Any interviews, success with Christmas jobs etc?

If you are not having any luck at all, then my heart goes out to you, as I too am experiencing similar job negativity, and so know how you feel.

Anyway, to all who are job hunting at present, I wish you the best of luck. You'll certainly need it in this current climate!
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 28th Sep 2011 11:17am
This is a genuine question so please do not bite my head offf?
On a daily / weekly basis - how much time to you spend job hunting?
And do you mind if I ask what this involves?
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 28th Sep 2011 11:24am
I spend on average around 2-3 hrs per day job hunting. This comprises of many methods, from browsing Jobcentreplus site to on spec applications. And that's not including all the jobsites I am on (e.g. Reed, Monster, Totaljobs.com etc. etc.). And for all that, I am still no nearer to finding a job than I was when I first started job hunting.

Very depressing, the mass silence from employers.
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 28th Sep 2011 11:26am
Have you been outside and actually looked? The Card Factory, Topshop, Perfume Shop, Warren James, Staples and Waterstones are all recrtuiting in Birkenhead right now.
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 28th Sep 2011 11:36am
I retired early from the NHS 12 months ago. I then got the 1st job (+ the last) I applied for with the National Census but this was only for 1 month, good start or so I thought.
Since then I have applied for 40+ jobs incl Morrisons, Asda, Lidl, WBC, 10 jobs with the Royal Mail, etc, etc.
Not even 1 interview.

You certainly do need a lot of positive thinking to even keep on trying here on the Wirral.

So yeah, I know exactly how you feel, good luck with your search.
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 29th Sep 2011 1:31am
Thanks. Sorry to hear of your own disappointments job searching. Hope you find something soon.
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 29th Sep 2011 1:33am
I am surprised to hear that those places are taking staff on. Where were the vacancies advertised? Haven't seen them on the Jobcentreplus site.

Interested that you mentioned Waterstones. Being an ardent book lover, that is one company that I would really love to work for! I will go on their website to see the list of vacancies.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 29th Sep 2011 1:57am
Originally Posted by Jobneeded67
I am surprised to hear that those places are taking staff on. Where were the vacancies advertised? Haven't seen them on the Jobcentreplus site.

Interested that you mentioned Waterstones. Being an ardent book lover, that is one company that I would really love to work for! I will go on their website to see the list of vacancies.

Are you actually after a job or are you just after something to do?

To me, you sound like someone due to retire not get a job!

Do yourself a favour and get to the local libary, i`m sure they will be happy to take on your services.

Oh, as for the jobcentre, please, don`t rely on them, the jobs are usually gone BEFORE you get to see the advertisment.

wink
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 29th Sep 2011 2:06am
show us ya cv jobneeded
They're all advertised on the front of the shops like they always are in Birkenhead, not on the jobcentre website, sometimes you have to actually go outside and have a look!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 29th Sep 2011 7:35am
Originally Posted by GrandMasterFlash
They're all advertised on the front of the shops like they always are in Birkenhead, not on the jobcentre website, sometimes you have to actually go outside and have a look!

If the old boy used his head he would be going direct to businesses rather than sitting on his butt looking on the Internet.

Use the more direct approach jobneeded
wink

Can you not change your bloody awful name?
Ah but it's a lot easier to stay at the computer so wiki is readily available for the next moan.
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 29th Sep 2011 12:55pm
Look, mate, I HAVE gone directly to businesses - many, many times, in fact.

But I have ALWAYS got the same old depressing story: no vacancies. You seem to be under the sad misconception that I am just sitting on my butt all day browsing the hopeless, ineffectual job sites. Well let me disabuse from that notion right away!

There is nobody - I repeat, NOBODY - who has tried more for work than I have. So don't start spouting claptrap to me about not doing enough enough to find work. I am SICK of trying everywhere for work. These employers are either too choosy, or just not taking anybody on at all. FACT.

Oh yes, and what is the problem you have with my "name???"
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 29th Sep 2011 12:57pm
What a stupid question.

Of COURSE I am after a job. I don't just want something to do. I need to live, you know, the obvious things: pay bills, get by etc.

Need I go on?
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 29th Sep 2011 1:04pm
http://www.amris.com/wizards/primark/vacancyView.php?requirementId=6145
You seem to be under the sad misconception that I am just sitting on my butt all day browsing the hopeless, ineffectual job sites.

browsing Jobcentreplus site to on spec applications. And that's not including all the jobsites I am on (e.g. Reed, Monster, Totaljobs.com etc. etc.).

Not a misconception, you said it!

Posted By: Anonymous Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 29th Sep 2011 5:34pm
Is it only retail your looking for?
if you've not got a criminal record why not do carework as they take anyone on near x-mas.
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 29th Sep 2011 5:44pm
I spend on average around 2-3 hrs per day job hunting. This comprises of many methods, from browsing Jobcentreplus site to on spec applications. And that's not including all the jobsites I am on (e.g. Reed, Monster, Totaljobs.com etc. etc.). And for all that, I am still no nearer to finding a job than I was when I first started job hunting.

Very depressing, the mass silence from employers.

Keep your chin up mate, something will come up, stay positive & keep us updated on how your doing, ok mate.
Posted By: SUExx Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 29th Sep 2011 6:09pm
Ah but it's a lot easier to stay at the computer so wiki is readily available for the next moan.

Out of interest gmf how old are you, as im prob old enough to be your mother ive been around long enough to know how different it is to get a job nowadays. In days gone by you went the job centre see a job you are intested in and bingo someone at the job centre rang up and got you a interview .

But now adays its cv,s done on line,or on line tests where if you fail you cant aply again for 6 months , in the good old days a interview was your chance to go for it. BUT getting that interview IS SO HARD NOW.
I'm 20 and have been applying for jobs for four years so of course I know how difficult it is. I also have parents who I sometimes even speak to so I know the difference between then and now. I even come on here and hear you lot complaining about it constantly so I definitely know the difference.

The difference is you've actually got to put in a bit of work yourself and no one will just get you an interview just because you want one. If you can't be bothered or are too lazy to get the interview yourself then the employer has dodged a bullet!

My point in the bit you've quoted was he actually said himself that all he does is look online! There's loads of adverts out there, I saw two in Liverpool just yesterday and five in Birkenhead two days before that, and I'm not even looking for a job anymore! Shows how hard he's trying!
Posted By: sparky Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 30th Sep 2011 8:59am
I think you are being too hard on Jobneeded, I have sent loads of CV's and most of the time don't get replies or get rejections which after a while can be so upsetting. I have applied for jobs that I have not experience for because I am so desperate to get a job.
Yes sparky, but you're not coming on here and starting new discussions every time you get a rejection letter, every time you apply for a job, every time you don't like the application form etc. then don't take the advice given and still keep moaning!
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 30th Sep 2011 9:16am
Originally Posted by sparky
I think you are being too hard on Jobneeded, I have sent loads of CV's and most of the time don't get replies or get rejections which after a while can be so upsetting. I have applied for jobs that I have not experience for because I am so desperate to get a job.

withthat

Please leave the man alone. He is doing no harm. You have been reading his posts long enough now to know what he has to say. If you dont like it, dont read it or at the very least read it & move on, stop being negative towards him.
Posted By: SUExx Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 30th Sep 2011 9:33am
Oh right so if gmf doesnt like people moaning then lets do away with the moan about the weather thread then.

Though i must say moaning its to cold hot etc is far more interesting then moaning about not being able to get a job then.

Have you ever thought that jobneeded might not have anyone else to moan to only on wiki. There are other members on wiki who like to express their strong opinons all the time , its live and let live.
Posted By: sparky Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 30th Sep 2011 9:34am
Well said Pepper Head
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 30th Sep 2011 9:40am
Originally Posted by SUExx
Oh right so if gmf doesnt like people moaning then lets do away with the moan about the weather thread then.

Though i must say moaning its to cold hot etc is far more interesting then moaning about not being able to get a job then.

Have you ever thought that jobneeded might not have anyone else to moan to only on wiki. There are other members on wiki who like to express their strong opinons all the time , its live and let live.

withthat

Well said.
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 30th Sep 2011 11:02am
I didn't realise I'd joined WikiMoaningHole, I am sorry! He is complaining yet again about not having a job, I have told him there are like six places hiring where he lives, if he doesn't want help then he can stop posting on here. I don't go on the moan about the weather page anyway, but it was there before I joined and it's on the chat forums so you can say what you like in there! If he wants to post over and over and over on the chat forums or in one of his threads then fine but not creating new ones every other day!
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 30th Sep 2011 11:06am
I didn't realise I'd joined WikiMoaningHole, I am sorry! He is complaining yet again about not having a job, I have told him there are like six places hiring where he lives, if he doesn't want help then he can stop posting on here. I don't go on the moan about the weather page anyway, but it was there before I joined and it's on the chat forums so you can say what you like in there! If he wants to post over and over and over on the chat forums or in one of his threads then fine but not creating new ones every other day!

Like we said, "Leave the man alone, he is doing you no harm".
Posted By: AlexB Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 30th Sep 2011 11:11am
It's a bit spammy though isn't it which is generally frowned up on internet forums.

Jobneeded67, if you head over to the general chat bit you can post as much as you want about anything you want without fear.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 30th Sep 2011 11:11am
Yes at least your trying Jobneeded.And its not easy to find work thease days.
The xmas vacancies will be comming up, fingers crossed for you thumbsup
Posted By: nightwalker Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 30th Sep 2011 12:15pm

The difference is you've actually got to put in a bit of work yourself and no one will just get you an interview just because you want one. If you can't be bothered or are too lazy to get the interview yourself then the employer has dodged a bullet!

I agree with gmf. My 20 year old grandson lost his job as a Kitchen Assistant when the place where he was working closed down. After a couple of months of applying for every catering job advertised (without a single response) he ran off 50 copies of his CV and spent a week wandering around Wirral handing a copy in to every restaurant accessible by public transport. Nothing for a month then in one week, three interviews leading to three job offers – in Liscard, Birkenhead and Hoylake. He obviously accepted one, nothing special – part time, minimum wage – but a job and a springboard to something better.

What is interesting, is that none of these jobs were advertised. One told him they always fill vacancies from submitted CVs because when they advertised they would have to sort through literally hundreds of applications. Another said that his was the only CV they’d received, admired his resourcefulness and thought he deserved an interview.

I must admit I thought he was wasting his time but am glad to be proved wrong.
Thank you nightwalker, that's what I've been trying to say!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 1st Oct 2011 9:12am
Originally Posted by Tombraider
Yes at least your trying Jobneeded.And its not easy to find work thease days.
The xmas vacancies will be comming up, fingers crossed for you thumbsup

Collecting the trollys for asda, they take on every year.
Posted By: Wench Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 1st Oct 2011 9:15am
Subway in Liverpool, by the bus stops, is looking for staff - sign in the window. Apply in store - not online happy
Posted By: paulieg Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 1st Oct 2011 9:45am
When I knew I was going to be made redundant from Lairds I drove round every ind est looking for engineering companies who I could send a CV to. I posted about 110 cvs off and from that I got about 8-9 interviews and was offered 4 jobs which includes the one Im have now still some 10 years later.
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 2nd Oct 2011 1:15am
Well said, Sparky! I can share great empathy with you here, and it's great to know that are still some good people on here who fully understand the unemployment hell I am going through.
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 2nd Oct 2011 1:23am
Cheers, Tombraider. Yes, I am indeed trying, a fact which certain individuals on this forum seem to be overlooking. Well, they needn't worry about me starting the same thread "over and over again" any more, as I am refraining from it (did you hear their cheers all whoop then?) in case I cause any more sore heads (lol).
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 2nd Oct 2011 1:24am
But I've applied for ASDA, and was told I cannot apply now for six months coz I failed their accursed online test.

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 2nd Oct 2011 2:03am
But I've applied for ASDA, and was told I cannot apply now for six months coz I failed their accursed online test.

They make you have an online test?
How ridiculous is that?
Posted By: Littlebear Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 2nd Oct 2011 9:02am
Make sure you get spelling and grammar correct on your CV. Spider scrawl, putting things like 'could of' instead of 'could have', their/they're/there/were/we're/where means your application goes straight in the bin with the other 200. Looking at some of the stuff written on here, I think this level of English is now pretty average for the Wirral?
My old boss did this without even getting to the end of the application letter - straight into the bin. I'd feel shitty if I got knocked back for failing a test for Asda, I think this is the same thing.

I agree with the job advert thing, I've seen quite a few advertised in the shop front. Try walking through Birkenhead/Ellesmere Port/Liverpool. Not all employees have Personnel/HR skills, so it makes it even harder. Even the Personnel/HR don't have Personnel/HR skills.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 2nd Oct 2011 9:59am
Hope this may help someone

where - as in where is the pencil
were - as in we were going to go to the shops
we're - as in we're (we are) the champions

there - as in the pencil is over there
their - as in those are their (belonging to) seats
they're - as in they're (they are) going to the shops

to
too
two
she is going to the shops too (also, as well) to buy two tins of beans

of
off

you could jump off the wall and land on the balls of your feet

your - as in your pencils
you're as in you're (you are) late
Posted By: Littlebear Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 2nd Oct 2011 4:37pm
bought - to buy
brought - to bring

could have - to have the ability
could of - you're an idiot
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 3rd Oct 2011 1:41pm
http://www.lightcinemas.co.uk/

jobs for Lightcinemas
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 4th Oct 2011 12:21am
Yes, that's right. I AM trying. Every day. I never stop. I am determined to get a job and extricate myself from this depressing impecunious rut.
Posted By: free_spirit Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 4th Oct 2011 8:34am

quite a few shops in liscard have been advertising for christmas staff..

they haven't been on job centre, have been advertised in the stores windows, like where i work...
we had a sign up 2 weeks ago and it got took down after 7 days and we now have a nw lot of staff..

you need to be out and about, looking and popping into places and asking..good luck
Posted By: Iaint Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 5th Oct 2011 4:25pm
From an employers point of view i find it hard that after advertising on job centre we recieve over 100 plus cvs and then have to sift through them all.
I have been known in the past to give interviews to people who merely pop in for i feel that it takes bottle to ask
Posted By: AlexB Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 5th Oct 2011 5:54pm
Fair play.

Also, as an employer, I must add that what I generally do is shuffle the pile of CV's and then throw half of them in the bin.

Well it gets rid of the unlucky ones anyway! wink
Posted By: polo_phil Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 5th Oct 2011 6:07pm
HR do the big sift for us... then we just have a smaller selection! winning
Posted By: polo_phil Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 5th Oct 2011 6:08pm
However the last panel I was on there was only 5 applicants and all got invited to interview but only 3 turned up...
Posted By: AlexB Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 5th Oct 2011 6:11pm
Originally Posted by polo_phil
However the last panel I was on there was only 5 applicants and all got invited to interview but only 3 turned up...

noonoo Massive error

I wouldn't want to work with you either wink
Posted By: polo_phil Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 5th Oct 2011 6:13pm
hahaha... wasn't even my department! They just needed my interviewing skills..... shifty
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 2:24pm
I appreciate what you are saying, but when you have sent off HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of CVs like I have, and hardly ANY of them answer you, you start thinking to yourself, what has gone wrong with this country? Why is it so incredibly hard to get even an acknowledgement now, let alone an interview?

All my constantly fruitless job hunting - which has only been exacerbated by the mass silence of both employers and agencies after I have applied to them all - has left me feeling really bitter and angry and depressed. I have over 25 years of good, solid admin and customer service experience - yet not one single one of these employers has even bothered to acknowledge my application.

It is sickening. It is also extremely depressing.

No future for me at all on the Wirral. I HATE it.
Posted By: Wench Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 2:29pm
Maybe, as previously stated many times, you need to look at your CV then. Any luck handing a CV in to all the places suggested that had signs in the windows? Or did they not fit into the job you want?
You do realise there are a lot of people applying for every job right? My mum has a friend who applied for a TA job in another school, she was one of over 400 applicants, do you really expect them to get in touch with 399 people to tell them they were unsuccessful? Then have some of them ringing up for feedback? I'd also like to know if you applied for any of the jobs people have said here, including the waterstones one you were so interested in?
Posted By: SUExx Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 2:48pm
I do wish some times people could be considerate to others in their plight to get a job.
I have a part time job, on tues i rang TWICE a phone number on job centre about another part time job, left my details and contact number as it went to answer machine and guess what they have not beein back to me. Well their loss, i shall not bother ringing again.
How dare they be busy for two days! I am considerate to people searching for jobs but not for those whining about it and expecting a job, feedback or an apology and a gold star at the end of the day just because they want one.
Posted By: Wench Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 2:56pm
Maybe the person who is in charge of recruitment is off sick/on holiday/on a course/snowed under with work/inundated with applications/on compassionate leave etc and will get back to you when they can. I understand the frustration at not getting a human answering the phone or getting an instant call back, but I can also see that employers also have a job to do and it's not always possible to call back immediately or within 48hrs. Not every employer has an HR department or just work a M-F 9-5 week and have every weekend off.

Just trying to be Devil's Advocate laugh

Posted By: LilJen Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 3:09pm
I do wish some times people could be considerate to others in their plight to get a job.
I have a part time job, on tues i rang TWICE a phone number on job centre about another part time job, left my details and contact number as it went to answer machine and guess what they have not beein back to me. Well their loss, i shall not bother ringing again.

2 days o no

n how is it the job centres loss raftl

them on the end of the phone rnt the ones wantin the job idiot
Posted By: LilJen Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 3:10pm
Originally Posted by Wench
Maybe the person who is in charge of recruitment is off sick/on holiday/on a course/snowed under with work/inundated with applications/on compassionate leave

or openin 641 letters off jobneeded cry
Posted By: SUExx Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 4:03pm

It was a mobile number i rang,understand they my be busy when i did ring but the message said to leave name and contact details so i did.

It wasnt the job centre i rang , i got job of the job centre site the phone number belonged to the place that had the vancancy.
Posted By: AlexB Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 4:19pm
Don't worry about her and her banter, or shanter rather. You just carry on with what you're doing and best of luck with finding meaningful employment, Sue.
Posted By: SUExx Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 4:25pm
Thanks alex, though i do have a part time job any way , but was looking to do another part time job if the hours fit in. It isnt a matter of life or death for me if i dont get another part time job any way , im one of the lucky ones as i do have a job already.
Posted By: AlexB Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 4:26pm
Aye, any job's a job these days.

But it never hurts to keep looking.
Posted By: Iaint Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 5:53pm
Well so far i have had over 100 applicants in just 2 days. Guess it must be popular. Time for some tea and read thru them!!
Posted By: dave_h Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 6:23pm
You do realise there are a lot of people applying for every job right? My mum has a friend who applied for a TA job in another school, she was one of over 400 applicants, do you really expect them to get in touch with 399 people to tell them they were unsuccessful? Then have some of them ringing up for feedback? I'd also like to know if you applied for any of the jobs people have said here, including the waterstones one you were so interested in?

they have admin staff for that but probably too busy chinwagging! courtesy is lacking i think
Posted By: dave_h Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 6:25pm

a good way to get jobs wrt schools is via agencies, i know a few people who have gotten jobs via agencies, gives them the chance to decide if they need to advertise or to offer to the agency staff
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 6th Oct 2011 8:00pm
Temp. Christmas staff wanted to dress Christmas trees, all of November and much of December. Full driving licence and own transport required, some heavy lifting.
Call Jill 01244457581
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: How's Everybody's Job Hunting Going? - 8th Oct 2011 1:22am
So to judge by what you said, there are 400 teaching assistants on the dole?
So to judge by what you said, there are 400 teaching assistants on the dole?

Yeah cos that's what I said... smirk
© Wirral-Wikiwirral