Forums
Are you all taking job rejections on the chin?

Just thought I'd ask, as I'd be interested to know how each of you deal with employers' knockbacks or - worse - no replies at all.

It's horrible.
I would think...their loss and move on.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 1:52pm
Originally Posted by Jobneeded67
Are you all taking job rejections on the chin?

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not.

Thing is, what can you do about it other than keep going?

Chuck enough shit and some will surely stick.
Don't know about everyone else but I tend to start a new thread for every rejection I get.
Posted By: Wench Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 2:25pm
Read, shred, move on. It's not the end of the world. There's more important things to worry about, but that's just me.
I know how you feel. I hate it when employers either ignore your application or knock you back. Some of these large retail stores are especially hard to get into, even for a temp Xmas job. You have to jump through all these ridiculous hoops (e.g. lengthy online questionnaires, crazy assessment days etc.).

I am NOT a happy bunny at the moment with the way all these employers are treating the unemployed.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 2:36pm

I am NOT a happy bunny at the moment

You'd never have guessed.
Wench, yes, I know what you mean. But what about when you apply every day and get rejection after rejection after rejection after rejection . . . In the end, no matter how dismissive and impervious to knockbacks you might want to be, it does start to erode your confidence.

Not an easy thing to deal with, rejection. And total silence from employers is even worse.

God, what's gone wrong with this country?
Ah, nice to see SOMEBODY is taking a rather apathetic, light-hearted viewpoint of the poor, downtrodden unemployed!

Huh, sympathy for the devil, or what!

(Am being sarcastic there, AlexB, if you hadn't noticed.)
Employers have no duty to treat you nicely and your incessant whinging will not get you a job. Sigh!
Really?
Posted By: Wench Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 2:43pm
I know how you feel. I hate it when employers either ignore your application or knock you back. Some of these large retail stores are especially hard to get into, even for a temp Xmas job. You have to jump through all these ridiculous hoops (e.g. lengthy online questionnaires, crazy assessment days etc.).

I am NOT a happy bunny at the moment with the way all these employers are treating the unemployed.

They make you "jump through hoops" so that they get the people THEY want for THEIR jobs. If you're prepared to go through all that it shows determination to get the job. Competition is so high for jobs that they need to sort the wheat from the chaff. Just because YOU think you deserve the job, or really want a job, doesn't mean that you are suited to the job in question or that the company concerned think you're the person for the job.

Like I say, it's not the end of the world. Tomorrow is another day - just move on and stop focussing on the negative.

Wench, yes, I know what you mean. But what about when you apply every day and get rejection after rejection after rejection after rejection . . . In the end, no matter how dismissive and impervious to knockbacks you might want to be, it does start to erode your confidence.
Only if you let it. You can't change the rejections so why worry or keep focussing on them. The only person to suffer because of it is you and those around you.

Not an easy thing to deal with, rejection. And total silence from employers is even worse.

See above.

God, what's gone wrong with this country?
Too many people thinking that "the world" owes them! I know it's hard, but you're not the only person going through it. You have a roof over your head, food in your belly and one assumes you're in good health if you are applying for so many jobs every day. Be grateful for that - not all are in that position!!
Really?

Really
Well, Grandmasterflash, all I can say about the employers who you described as not having any obligation to treat me "nicely" is this: I hope they end up recruiting somebody who will let them down (e.g. be constantly late, lark around on the job etc.). It will be their OWN fault for taking on somebody who would have been better replaced by an employee like me, who would ALWAYS be punctual, and would ALWAYS avoid larking around on the job like an idiot. In short, they would miss out on a good worker.

So it would be THEIR loss.

Agreed?
Posted By: AlexB Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 2:49pm
Ah, nice to see SOMEBODY is taking a rather apathetic, light-hearted viewpoint of the poor, downtrodden unemployed!

Huh, sympathy for the devil, or what!

(Am being sarcastic there, AlexB, if you hadn't noticed.)

I'm not. You need to channel this (a)pathetic, woe-is-me attitude more constructively.

Why aren't you out now in the sun, speculatively dropping CV's around stores in Birkenhead, or Liverpool, or Cheshire Oaks etc?
Some good points made there, Wench.

Yes, I will try not to let the constant rejections or mass silences from contacted employers get me down too much, and will try to move on.

It's hard, though, so hard, especially when you badly need a job as much as I do.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 2:50pm
It will be their OWN fault for taking on somebody who would have been better replaced by an employee like me, who would ALWAYS be punctual, and would ALWAYS avoid larking around on the job like an idiot. In short, they would miss out on a good worker.

... who had a better CV and interview skills.

NB: the above is a thinly veiled tip.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 2:51pm
You have to jump through all these ridiculous hoops (e.g. lengthy online questionnaires, crazy assessment days etc.).

I'm afraid they have the pick of a rather large barrel, and if you can't be bothered with these 'hoops' then their view will be that you're not the sort of person they want working for them.
AlexB: I have DONE all that. None of them have any vacancies. Other people whom I've talked to in various work clubs have also done exactly the same thing. They've had no luck either.
AlexB

Another thing I should point out is that when you call into a lot of these stores, they tell you that they are not accepting hand delivered CVs, but to just apply online at the company website.

I have even heard some horror stories about certain employers who do accept personally delivered CVs - and then, the second the hopeful applicant has left the store, coldly rip up the CV and chuck it into the bin.

(Sigh) The path of the unemployed certainly doesn't run nice and smooth in these troubled, turbulent times.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 2:56pm
AlexB: I have DONE all that. None of them have any vacancies. Other people whom I've talked to in various work clubs have also done exactly the same thing. They've had no luck either.

I'm going back to that old saying 'chuck enough shit'.

I've never had an issue getting a job, I moved jobs in the property industry at the height of the recession.

When I came out of uni I sent CV's out, I followed up with phone calls, I visited in person, I offered to do a weeks trial unpaid the latter of which persuaded them I was serious and worth a go.

Honestly, channel this frustration and anger into thinking of different ways to grab peoples attention.

Idea... write your normal covering letter and screw it up into a ball, pop it in an envelope and send it out explaining you are looking for work etc and that you realise in this climate that they may not be looking and if this is the case then you have saved them the bother of screwing up you letter.

If they're going to remember one person, it'll be you.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 2:56pm

(Sigh) The path of the unemployed certainly doesn't run nice and smooth in these troubled, turbulent times.

One thing we agree on.
Lol.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 3:00pm
Jobneeded - I got to be honest with you mate but I am trying to figure you out. I appreciate it is really hard for you at the moment to find work under the current climate. You are not alone - there are 2.5 million others. What you have in your favour is that you WANT to work so keep plugging away. Stay focused, stay postive.

The part I don't get is you relentless posting of our "thoughts" and "opinions" of your situation. You open yourself up to ridicule and abuse. Alex summed it up

"You need to channel this (a)pathetic, woe-is-me attitude more constructively."

Jeez mate(taking "67" as the year you are born in) you are not quite in your mid-40s and have a lot to offer...

....so take advice on your CV as it may need slight changing, join temp agencies and then get on their backs, do some voluntary work. You have to make it happen.

Be fookin POSITIVE!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 3:07pm
wright down everything you've done and sent off for don't have just one c.v. have friends or family read your cv and ask if they would add anything to it or take stuff out. do the same with your letters to eg don't put dear sir/madam try and find the persons name, and don't put " I am writing to you" as it's fooking plain for all to see that your writing to them.

don't use stuff like

I worked for mcD's spell their whole name.

if your C.V. is not working for you try getting a company to make you a new one, your dole will have tons on people who'll help you if you need it just ask.

may I ask what work you're looking for?

ring them back get fed back but don't ring at 4:50pm if they close at 5pm raftl

ask in the dole about the future job fund in with their will look at what jobs will becoming live soon so you can get your name down 1st.

hope this helps you out.
it would be THEIR loss.

Agreed?

Not in the slightest!
Cheers, PaulWirral, I take your point.

Am sorry if I may have irked some people by going on too much about my constant unemployment, but I just had to talk to somebody to tell them exactly how I feel as the months of constant job rejections or mass silences from employers has really cut deep into my self respect and self-confidence, as I am sure you can appreciate.

Anyway, as they used to say in the MARVEL comics, 'nuff said on that. Rest assured that your advice will be taken on board.

Thanks again.
Ah well,Grandmasterflash, to each his own.

I give up on you. Wasting my time.

Happily, other people have been very helpful to me on these boards, and to them, I offer my deepest thanks.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 3:14pm

Am sorry if I may have irked some people by going on too much about my constant unemployment, but I just had to talk to somebody to tell them exactly how I feel as the months of constant job rejections or mass silences from employers has really cut deep into my self respect and self-confidence, as I am sure you can appreciate.

Totally, I don't doubt that it's a horrible position to be in and you have every sympathy.

However, I'd recommend perhaps starting a thread named 'my hunt for a job' and updating us like that. People are interested, I'm sure, so perhaps start a blog like topic that people can offer advice and tips and in return you can share your experiences.

Just a thought.

Something like miketrains blog on his train set build; imagine if he posted a new thread every time he added a bit.

Ah well,Grandmasterflash, to each his own.

I give up on you. Wasting my time .

I really couldn't care less, you are wasting your time being on here when you could be out looking for a job. You've been given advice and chose not to take it, I suggested a blog and you had a moan, I can't imagine an employer wanting to take on someone who thinks he's entitled to the job and will be so negative and mopey when you don't get a gold star at the end of the day. I hope you get a job for this forum's sake!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 3:33pm
The Future Job Fund has ended, 8bit. It is no more.
Actually, starting a blog IS a very good idea. I mean, writing is my best subject (have actually had short stories and articles published), so I may give it a shot. Well, they do say that if you have got a good skill, use it to the full, don't they?

I am very sorry that you feel that way about me. I assure you, it was NOT my intention to irk people by burdening them with my problems of unemployment, and would certainly not wish to go on any longer now, as I think I've said all that there is to say on my crappy situation. And I do know full well that there are thousands of other jobless people who are suffering similar misery to my own, and as I have said before, my heart goes out to them.

The big bottle of champagne will definitely be out, once I do get a job, I can assure you of that!

Happy job hunting, everybody.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 22nd Sep 2011 3:46pm
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
The Future Job Fund has ended, 8bit. It is no more.
Thank for letting me and others know, I said about it cos it help me alot and I got my job from it smile
Yes, that's right, it has ended.
Do what thousands do each year, move.

If you've used up all the options of your chosen field in this area widen your search and be prepared to move where the job you eventually get is.

You could even think about emigrating your way into employment, thousands do that each year as well.

Go self employed, you must be able to find a use for writing skills.

There must be lots of immigrants out there who whilst having a passable command of verbal English, but none or very limited reading and writing skills. Research the wording in several languages and pop adverts in shop windows offering your services.

Start thinking outside of your usual envelope.
Yes, I have actually thought about moving away from jobless Wirral - many times, in fact - but the problem is finding suitable accommodation. I know the recession has hit all of the country, but surely there must be places where I would stand a slightly better chance of getting a job than I would if I stayed here. I have considered Leeds, as I was once told that there are plenty of office jobs out there, although I don't know whether this is still the case.

Re. my writing skills, I am always seeking new opportunities to utilise them. As I said, I have had work published, and it is my hope one day to have a full length novel published.
I applied for a job with Merlin Entertainment. I took about 2 hours to complete the application and I waited a few weeks. Received an email from them telling them my application was successful and I was to go to an assessment centre for the interview. Got really excited and told everyone. Next day I received an email saying that they had sent the email by mistake and that I had actually been unsuccessful.

Gutted
Yes, Re. my writing skills, I am always seeking new opportunities to utilise them. As I said, I have had work published, and it is my hope one day to have a full length novel published.

Tried this one?

Maybe not going to make your millions, but is a free-ish inroad I would have thought, and if you hit it lucky you never know.

Very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with that job application. I can certainly share great empathy with you here.
Posted By: A_L_K Re: Are You All Taking Job Rejections On The Chin? - 23rd Sep 2011 10:27am
I tried for 6 months solid trying to find a job, I set myself targets to apply for at least two jobs a day, numerous job rejections and unsuccessful interviews later, and I have had 4 or 5 job offers in one go! I found going through agency’s applying for the permanent position’s was the greatest way of being successful. Stay positive, take rejection on the chin and you’ll get somewhere. Take the rejection on board then you will come across as a washed up negative tool towards your potential employers in the interview.
I was talking to 2 smashing young fellahs a couple of weeks ago. They were both fed up and jobless, joined the RNR at Liverpool, got trained up in their chosen fields, combat medic and seaman to fill time and not waste it. The upshot was that they were able to add to their CV and in the next few weeks they are both starting training, one as a Merchant Navy Officer and the other starts his Nursing training. They didn't know each other before the RNR but they are now good mates. They were very positive in their outlooks and told me that the additional activities at the RNR contributed towards their job success. The RNR might not be everybody's cup of tea but there must be other organisations that can be enlisted in to build up an experience portfolio. Good luck to all job hunters, I know from experience how difficult it can get.
Thanks for the advice. It was very much appreciated.

Originally Posted by A_L_K
I tried for 6 months solid trying to find a job, I set myself targets to apply for at least two jobs a day, numerous job rejections and unsuccessful interviews later, and I have had 4 or 5 job offers in one go! I found going through agency’s applying for the permanent position’s was the greatest way of being successful. Stay positive, take rejection on the chin and you’ll get somewhere. Take the rejection on board then you will come across as a washed up negative tool towards your potential employers in the interview.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral