Forums
What are the most job rejections you've ever had?

I have become that fed up and disillusioned with constant "No's" that I have just stopped counting!
only ever had 1 rejection, that was for a job in an antique restoration shop when i was a lot younger. Try not to get down, that perfect job is round the corner waiting for you.
good luck.
Cheers. Will try and keep my chin up (VERY hard) in the face of all these knockbacks!
stay positive, it will show on your next interview that your a confident bubbly person with a lot to offer.
Yes keep the faith chap!! It's true there are many many applicants for most jobs advertised through the conventional means (JCP, Globe, News etc)
Have you tried sending enquiry letters to HR/Personnel depts or maybe managers of small companies? They may be impressed by your initiative and call you in for a chat.
Good luck, and keep the faith!!
:-)
Are you chasing anything and everything or a particular line of work? Fullest sympathy with you as I've been there, try and keep positive and if necessary get a time consuming hobby to fill in those blank hours you tend to get.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What Are The Most Job Rejections You've Ever Had? - 18th Aug 2011 1:07pm
I've had one. Turned out for the best as I got a job with a competitor and the bloke who got it has been made redundant whereas I got a pay rise.

So these things can be for the best.
Count yourself lucky you are even getting No's i was unemployed between december and and april and it was hell i applied for at least 5 jobs a day i was even prepared to take an apprenticship for £100 a week just so i could get some form of work between december and april i applied for litrally hundreds of jobs all of which i am more than qualified to do and i was lucky if i heard back from 3 of those even to get a no. Luckily i registerd with an agency who got me some work and eventually got taken on full time by the company
A lot of places advertise for a job even when they have someone say already in mind from the company, but they have to advertise it anyway.
When I applied for a job with a well known local car assembly plant, you only had to stand on one leg and touch your nose. I can't remember if you had to have your eyes open or closed.It was quite evident a more stringent test was required when you met some of your new work colleagues, but I actually loved going to work never laughed so much,worked so hard, or earned so much.I am sorry the same opportunities are not available to our future silver citizens.
We need manufacturing industry back in The U.K.
Originally Posted by paranoidballoon
When I applied for a job with a well known local car assembly plant, you only had to stand on one leg and touch your nose. I can't remember if you had to have your eyes open or closed.It was quite evident a more stringent test was required when you met some of your new work colleagues, but I actually loved going to work never laughed so much,worked so hard, or earned so much.I am sorry the same opportunities are not available to our future silver citizens.
We need manufacturing industry back in The U.K.

Absolutely right! We have to get back to making things. Trains, clothes, ships, electronic goods etc. Ideally, made in Britain by British-owned companies.
I have had 5 interviews in the last 2 months and got no's to all of them.
hi
i had one rejection when i was 18 for a big new menswear store opening in birkenhead,
but i did then get offered at same time a position in their smaller store in liscard...so was a kind of no but yes...
Originally Posted by DodgyDave
A lot of places advertise for a job even when they have someone say already in mind from the company, but they have to advertise it anyway.

yes where i work now tends to do that mad
I've been applying for jobs for four years (not intensly though cos I'm still in education but do need a job), have had five interviews and got one of them which I had for a month, so loads of rejections here!

I'm not depressed or anything but I won't depend on it or need one as much as non-students!

Waterstones in town are hiring, I'm applying there tomorrow so fingers crossed grin
Thats awful, just not right.
Good luck Flash, fingers crossed mate.
Originally Posted by Spannerhead
Good luck Flash, fingers crossed mate.

Thanks!
i had a whole pile of rejection's when i left school, a good few years ago now though but things where starting to get bad for people looking for jobs.
I got one interview and got the job which could be considerd quite well paid for the time.
I started with about a hundred others at the begining of september but the one thing i found very hard to understand was that some people had not botherd to turn up to start their job !!!.

One thing that i came to notice in more modern times is that so many of the places i applied to had only a few years of existance left before they closed !!. Summers steel works was one, now long gone !.
In addition to the job rejections, I have also been ignored by numerous employers. In fact, I have had more applications snubbed that I have had replies!

Needless to say, not feeling very happy with life at the moment, and this bad news of a possible double dip recession has only exacerbated my disposition.
I have a place opening on Saturday just across from the McDonalds in town, it's only going to be there for a few months (in theory) as clearing excess clothing stock from the shops in the Manchester area and to give time for the rest of the building to be sorted out for something new.

There are no new staff for this one, just people moved over from Manchester (well, Bradford, Denton, you get the idea) but I'll be looking for permanent approaching Christmas when it'll open properly (not clothing).

I'm looking for people who have a reasonable technical knowledge but can explain things to people who don't even know where the "on" button is.

Not looking for computer geeks or IT technicians, I already have those, just people who can be pleasant, patient, articulate and not spend the entire day in the Pound Bakery smile
I've had nothing but rejections ever since I was screwed out of my college by someone who had more money than me, first one was an admin for a finiancial company near Old Hall Street over In Liverpool despite being more than qualified for the job. Second one i had no time to prepare for since the Upton JBC+ threw on me out of the blue and i had to travel all the way to Garston which took 3 hours to get there and even then I was too crippled by the eyes of the company to do it, My third and last one was back in Liverpool City Centre for a car website, I Tried my best but I failed. And now with my physical and mental health taking a sharp turn for the worse, it looks like it'll be all over for me before it even begun.
I'm a HR Manager for a Manufacturing Company and I screen CV's everyday. The only advice I can give you, which you may already be doing. So apologises if you are. Is make sure that your CV states what the job specification/ advert is looking for and make sure it is at the top of the CV and clearly written. If it isn't it will be rejected very quickly without even looking at what else you have written.
It takes screeners 20 seconds to look at a CV and know if it is a yes or no. So it has to upfront and in your face. All other information is not even read (most of the time). If it is an application then include your CV, (gives you a chance to add more information then they give you room to write) and always enclose a letter that sells yourself. Doing this will give you a better chance of getting an interview.. If you need any help with this then let me know. Good luck
I've had about 5-6 knock backs - but keep your chin up. something will come along!
Originally Posted by Jobneeded67

I have become that fed up and disillusioned with constant "No's" that I have just stopped counting!

In total or in one day/week/month?

Either way, no idea as I don't count. If I don't get the job I don't get it - end of. I don't see the point of focussing on it or getting upset over it. It's not the end of the world and tomorrow is another day. Plus the fact, it's not worth putting my blood pressure up or annoying my family and friends any more by bleating on about it. I don't even tell them I've applied for any jobs, mainly because it's my business. If I get one, then I'll tell them. But that's just me smile

Maybe try getting on a course via the job centre. Don't wait for them to approach you. If you don't ask, you don't get. The worse they can say is no.
Make sure the CV reads relevant to the job you are going for as well. Some job centres used to run a small course for writing CV's, don't know if they still do it. I did mine on a resettlement course so I know they are worthwhile. Good luck to anyone out there who is job seeking anyway.
oldman
In total, over all the years you have been applying.,
Answer still as above then as I don't count.
Originally Posted by Wench
Originally Posted by Jobneeded67

In total or in one day/week/month?

Either way, no idea as I don't count. If I don't get the job I don't get it - end of. I don't see the point of focussing on it or getting upset over it. It's not the end of the world and tomorrow is another day. Plus the fact, it's not worth putting my blood pressure up or annoying my family and friends any more by bleating on about it. I don't even tell them I've applied for any jobs, mainly because it's my business. If I get one, then I'll tell them. But that's just me smile

Maybe try getting on a course via the job centre. Don't wait for them to approach you. If you don't ask, you don't get. The worse they can say is no.

yes i agree, it'll just get you down more if your focusing on jobs you did't get, which could put you in a negative frame of mind each time you apply for another.
and could affect your interview if your thinking 'is this gonna be another job rejection'

focus on the future with a happy mind, that one day, the right job will come along..

good luck
© Wirral-Wikiwirral