Forums
Posted By: Martin1943 Trees - 7th Sep 2015 5:52pm
Good of the council to cut all the trees in Maryland Lane down. The massive savings in maintenance must greatly outweigh the savings in Co2 emissions, not to say the loss of amenity and beauty. How kind of the Contractors to cut them up into logsize lengths for whoever took them away and will be profiting from the fuel, more CO2
Posted By: granny Re: Trees - 7th Sep 2015 6:27pm
Don't get me started. They are systematically chopping down all our blossom trees too.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Trees - 7th Sep 2015 7:09pm
Have they cut them down totally or heavy pruning pollarding. They severely cut some in claughton 2 years ago but they have grown back much better
Posted By: davew3 Re: Trees - 7th Sep 2015 9:16pm
About time they chopped the tree's on the roads they badly need it, it's like driving down a road with green cliffs on each side, we have lost a lot of views because the tree's haven't been touched for years it's a wonder we haven't got epidemic of some tree diseases because of the closeness of the trees and all the tree suckers, you only have to go down the Wirral way and the trees block every view, time to stop bothering about the global warming and the CO2 thing, we have weather and that changes by the minute, trees I like but trees look lovelier when the experts have kept them healthy an trimmed, all that's happened by being green it has allowed the council to duck it's responsibilities by allowing it to use money saved from trimming the trees for something else, no doubt I will be wanted for reprogramming for thinking such things.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Trees - 7th Sep 2015 9:59pm
This might explain why the trees had to go.

http://chrisblakeley.com/2015/06/25/labour-say-no/
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Trees - 7th Sep 2015 11:09pm
If only more care was taken to plant the right kind of trees for various sites, this sort of thing would not happen. Small to medium ornamentals would be much better as street trees in that sort of situation. I have a large, solid whitebeam next door to me; it drops great slathering heaps of leaves in autumn that get caught up in my garden and take a lot of clearing. Rowan, field maple, silver birch - all those are smaller and less dense, very attractive and would have been much better. I think people consider the impact of plantings much more carefully these days.
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: Trees - 12th Sep 2015 5:17pm
Blakey, as usual, gives only part of the answer.
In its wisdom the Council removed a larger number of paving slabs to carry out repairs in "better" parts of the borough. These were replace by a cheap and amateur skim of tarmac. Maryland lane has a section of such tarmac and it is this section through which the tree roots have intruded. The heavier slabs have moved but the roots have not intruded.
Fine, and useful, trees sacrificed to penny pinching.
Posted By: granny Re: Trees - 12th Sep 2015 8:00pm
Took a walk through Arrowe Park this week, around the golf course. Trees and saplings have been left to run wild, Himalayan balsam is beginning to take hold, and the golf course was...............immaculate!
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Trees - 12th Sep 2015 8:48pm
Somewhere for the golfers to lose their balls !
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: Trees - 13th Sep 2015 12:48pm
Glad I'm not a golfer, i would hate to lose mine! Haha
© Wirral-Wikiwirral