Forums
Posted By: Excoriator New LED streeet lights - 27th Jul 2015 8:47pm
Not seen any sign of these around New Ferry. Anyone else noticed them being installed, or have the council decided not to bother after all?
Posted By: Norton Re: New LED streeet lights - 27th Jul 2015 10:13pm
LED lights were incorporated as part of the upgrade of New Brighton prom earlier this year.

There is a thread about them on here, but I can't remember what it came under.

Quite often, the topic of managed street lighting is mentioned at the same time, usually in the context of street lights being switched off at night.

Something that rarely gets mentioned is a scheme (possibly a pilot or experimental one) that the Council ran around the Magazines area about seven or eight years ago. The lights had a small radio device (costing less than £30, installed) which was attached to the light head, so look for the little antenna on top. The lamp housing itself was changed from the old low pressure sodium type to a modern dimmable one, usually in a 'cobra' style head. This enabled them to be remotely turned on or off, either all together or individually, and allowed for self-reporting of faults. I'm sure that the LED light heads available now would be even more suitable to this kind of treatment.

Similar schemes were tried in other parts of the country. Some schemes included intelligent linking involving movement sensors that could light-up just the required area needed for pedestrians at night. In some cases, the lights 'talked' to each other to achieve this.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: New LED streeet lights - 28th Jul 2015 8:09pm
I remember that thread Norton and contributed to it, but like you can't recall what it came under.

I recall the Council announcing that they were going to invest a bunch of cash in upgrading the street lights but hadn't seen any evidence of it locally. It looks like New Brighton got the first ones then.

LED lights - unlike discharge lamps like sodium - com to full brightness immediately so would be very well adapted to an 'Only When Needed' system.

I can't wait. I've always hated the vile yellow sodium ones that seem to be more or less universal.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New LED streeet lights - 28th Jul 2015 8:17pm
The previous topic is HERE

The more modern high pressure sodium lights are much better than the old low pressure sodium lights and can be switched on demand.

LED being almost a point light source need a more complex reflector and lens system than sodium lamps, if they get it right it will be great but my experience so far is the opposite.

I'll take a trip down New Brighton and have a look at those sometime.
Posted By: Norton Re: New LED streeet lights - 29th Jul 2015 10:16am
Well, I'd forgotten about that topic - and it was only last March!

I was thinking of this one from October 2012, but it's more about the older street lights.
See https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/732584

It might shine some more light on the subject. (Sorry, couldn't resist..)
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: New LED streeet lights - 8th Sep 2015 4:57pm
Try www.gemmalighting.com Tells about the savings etc. All our houses will become LED lit soon as the others are being phased out.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral