Forums
March and Demonstration

Join us on a march and Lobby of Wirral Council’s Cabinet meeting on Thursday 6th November 2014 from 5.00pm at Seacombe Ferry to Wallasey Town Hall.

Wirral Council has published £4m of options which it has been consulting staff and public on. These options will have devastating effects on jobs and services.
The options include;
o Cutting back on opening hours at 15 libraries to just two days per week, 10am -4pm
o Closing 4 out the 8 youth clubs in the borough
o Cutting Childrens centres from 16 to just 4
o Removal of 41 school crossing patrols
o Closure of 10 public convenience facilities
o Privatisation of the West Kirby Marine Lake.

Wirral Council has also been informing many staff, as part of the remodeling programme, that their jobs will be deleted; their pay will be cut or that they will have to face competitive interviews to keep their own jobs at a lower rate of pay.

Unite has made it clear to the politicians and senior officers that our members are completely opposed to these relentless attacks on our jobs and terms & conditions and that our members are prepared to fight.

Don’t just leave it to others to fight, BE THERE to support your colleagues, Remember, if it’s not you this time, YOU may be next.
Can't make this one due to work. If you have the time though, please get down to the Town Hall to support the fight against these cuts. And remember, we're less than halfway through these cuts. God knows what public services we'll have left in a few years. Probably something between bugger all and sweet FA.

On the subject of the libraries, the various Friends groups have united and we're totally opposed to any privatisation or use of volunteers in their running. We won in 2008 and we're going to win again.
http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1...c_before_making_decision_on_budget_cuts/
and the results are in........for those with a strong constitution.

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-service...tm_term=0_dc5293a1bc-57439563c7-48955353

Disclaimer: clicking the link above may exacerbate strong feelings.
The following petitions related to the Future Council project have been
received:
Petition Signatures
Save our Services (Unison) 568
Save Wirral Sailing Centre 4739
Moreton Youth Centre 128
Greasby Library 353
Irby Library 336
Save Our Play Service 1899
Hoylake Library 10
Pensby Library 551

Wirral Sailing Centre???!!!!!! mad More signatures than the rest put together. Let them fund their own ****ing Sailing Centre!!!!
No one wants Libraries when you have the internet, nearly every answer under 10 seconds.. no need to leave a nice warm seat.
Oh, and lots of nasties live in books and you cant use Domestos.
Many libraries are community hubs, with groups meeting there as well as people using the lending facility. For people living alone, especially older people, it's somewhere to go to have a chat, feel safe, read a paper, browse the shelves, pick up information and advice leaflets, borrow books that they can't afford to buy - and it helps them to feel less isolated. If they can't afford to heat their homes properly, it's somewhere warm to visit, too. As for books harbouring nasties, so does every handrail, supermarket trolley, door handle, bus seat, pocketful of small change - etc! I hope libraries will survive as part of the communities they serve.
You cant be sentimental over Libraries for whatever people use them for, it has to be run as a business. So it will be bye bye to Libraries.
On a lighter note,
I knew someone who visited the Library everyday, we all thought he`d decided to educate himself, although he was 70. He would of been very upset if it had closed. We found out that he had a crush on the 20 year old girl Librarian and thought it was mutual, aww god bless him.
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
On a lighter note,
I knew someone who visited the Library everyday, we all thought he`d decided to educate himself, although he was 70. He would of been very upset if it had closed. We found out that he had a crush on the 20 year old girl Librarian and thought it was mutual, aww god bless him.

did you get over her Zip ? smile
I married her :-)
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
No one wants Libraries when you have the internet, nearly every answer under 10 seconds.. no need to leave a nice warm seat.
Oh, and lots of nasties live in books and you cant use Domestos.

Many who cannot afford computers can get access in the libraries. People like pensioners Zipper, and access to job search via computer is what the unemployed are expected to do, so I believe.

I hope none are closed but reduced hours could possibly be acceptable, then at a later date once things improve again, they could maybe have hours reinstated. Once gone...gone for good.

Plus, there's many a good book not on the internet and many prefer books as opposed to screen. So there !

Yes books are easier to read than on screen, luckily I don't read books. I use the internet daily for hours on end, stuff I could never find in a library. My mum is 80 and she is on the "net", she is not well off but can afford it. So There seeyu
Well said Granny, it's about time Zipper turned over a new leaf smile
Zipper, your views regarding the library services disgust me.

I will not reply to any additional comments, from you. PM me if you want to discuss this further.
He needs a prickly one Dilly. Now go to the library Zipper and find out how it can benefit you ! That girl might help.

Attached picture untitled,.png
Just as a matter of interest, can anyone say how many Wirral libraries have One Stop Shops in them ?

This article dated 21/9/2014 says near the end that the Council have already said they are on target,and there will be no loss of community services 2014/15 but an enhancement of two new fitness centres at West Kirby and Guinea Gap.
If the question now raises it's ugly head again about reduction or closure of libraries.....why then did they spend on the leisure centres ? It's the same old story isn't, spend now and worry about it later, or rather let everyone else worry about their jobs.
This article is quite an eye opener anyway, for a different reason. I hadn't seen it before.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...on-launched-after-wirral-council-7807175

I know that Seacombe has a scruffy looking library. However, it is very regularly used by residents- 'breakfast clubs' 'knit n natter' 'baby bounce n read'. They have art groups, job clubs and all kinds going on......

Imagine, just imagine being transported to Seacombe. Where would you go?? There is nothing here other than the library and Morrisons- nothing.

Seacombe Branch Library is
the only 'centre' that provide services to residents- educate our kids-provide resources etc
That is precisely the issue. They are used for so many needs in society and closing any is really unacceptable. Talking books is another service provided and hire of DVD's.
It's bad news for Seacombe area, but I would imagine that wouldn't be affected. Possibly one at Wallasey and others such as Pensby, maybe Irby, but I cannot see what savings would be made in reducing hours for some.
They would have to re-deploy staff, so it doesn't make much sense. Maybe the better option would be to merge social services and other groups to within the library buildings somehow, saving on heating and maintenance of others etc.

That may not be possible, so I'll shut up before more clap trap comes out.
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
I know that Seacombe has a scruffy looking library. However, it is very regularly used by residents- 'breakfast clubs' 'knit n natter' 'baby bounce n read'. They have art groups, job clubs and all kinds going on......

Imagine, just imagine being transported to Seacombe. Where would you go?? There is nothing here other than the library and Morrisons- nothing.

Seacombe Branch Library is
the only 'centre' that provide services to residents- educate our kids-provide resources etc

Absolutely spot on Dawn. Seacombe Library is one of the most important libraries on Merseyside. There is nothing else in that area. Even most of the pubs have closed down. It will leave a massive hole if it closes.
Originally Posted by granny
Just as a matter of interest, can anyone say how many Wirral libraries have One Stop Shops in them ?

This article dated 21/9/2014 says near the end that the Council have already said they are on target,and there will be no loss of community services 2014/15 but an enhancement of two new fitness centres at West Kirby and Guinea Gap.
If the question now raises it's ugly head again about reduction or closure of libraries.....why then did they spend on the leisure centres ? It's the same old story isn't, spend now and worry about it later, or rather let everyone else worry about their jobs.
This article is quite an eye opener anyway, for a different reason. I hadn't seen it before.

Hi Granny. Totally agree with your sentiments about the library. Off the top of my head, Moreton, West Kirby, Heswall, Eastham and Rock Ferry all have One Stop Shops. I think Bebington Central is in the process of getting one too.
The Friends groups across Wirral are having our latest meeting on Wed Nov 26th at Birkenhead Park Visitors Centre. It starts at 2pm. You're very welcome to attend, Granny. There will be library management and, fingers crossed, some Cllrs to grill. A wide range of people will be there, from ex-Tory Cllrs to old lefties like myself.
Well hello Touchstone. Have you been busy dusting the shelves ? smile

Thanks for that info and the invite. You know I would love to be there but it could lead to a removal by security. Look out for a rather large handbag.
Originally Posted by Touchstone

Hi Granny. Totally agree with your sentiments about the library. Off the top of my head, Moreton, West Kirby, Heswall, Eastham and Rock Ferry all have One Stop Shops. I think Bebington Central is in the process of getting one too.
The Friends groups across Wirral are having our latest meeting on Wed Nov 26th at Birkenhead Park Visitors Centre. It starts at 2pm. You're very welcome to attend, Granny. There will be library management and, fingers crossed, some Cllrs to grill. A wide range of people will be there, from ex-Tory Cllrs to old lefties like myself.
I'm nicking this Touchstone (edited version) to share on our Branch page/ Wirral SOS and I will email our members. thumbsup

I'm nicking this Touchstone (edited version) to share on our Branch page/ Wirral SOS and I will email our members. thumbsup
Done. grin Also forwarded to R.Q and A.M to share with their contacts. wink
Oh and LATC, WATC, Wirral Politics too.

Will not allow these bustards to reduce our library services, never mind close a single Branch.#peoplepower

We did it once and we WILL do it again.
As much as some of Zippers comments may not be liked they are possibly true. Libraries as Libraries i.e. book depositories probably are a declining necessity because of the internet. Probably also start to see the closing of high street bookshops.
Books themselves may survive despite Kindles etc--lets hope so.
Like most other comments they need to stay for their other services
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-wirral-s-library-service

Save Wirral Library Services petition.
Lobby of Council meeting, Wallasey Town Hall on Monday 15th December from 5pm.
848 sigs is disgraceful. Seacombe Branch Library has had 83 000 visits in the last 12 months, alone.
848 sigs is disgraceful. Seacombe Branch Library has had 83 000 visits in the last 12 months, alone.

Up to 967 signatures now. If everyone who reads this could sign the above petition, that would be great, thanks. It takes less than a minute.

We call upon the Leader and the Chief Executive of Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council to maintain a viable library service, staffed by suitably qualified employees for all the people of the Wirral.

Why is this important?

Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council is attempting to save money by drastically cutting the staffing levels of its library service to the point where we question whether it is in danger of breaching its obligations under the Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964.
It is proposing to reduce the opening hours of libraries at a time when it is also requiring Wirral residents to communicate with the authority digitally via the internet.
Residents who cannot afford broadband must rely on computers in their local libraries. The people who are trained to help them are the very librarians whose jobs are under threat.
These proposed cuts will disproportionally affect the poorer people of the borough and also young people who use libraries for research and as a safe,supportive and quiet place for completing.homework and projects.
At a time when the NHS is flagging up that the underlying cause of many illnesses is isolation and loneliness, our Local Authority is planning to restrict access to a valuable service which provides community cohesion and support to thousands of the most vulnerable people in our borough.
withthat
Just a reminder about tomorrow evening:

"Wirral Council are proposing to reduce the opening hours of certain libraries to only 18 hours a week. This will not include the Central Libraries or those including one stop shops. The final decision will be made by the Council at Wallasey Town Hall tomorrow evening. Community groups and Friends groups have been invited to a rally outside the Town Hall at 5pm tomorrow evening. Friends members and library users are encouraged to go down and show support for our public library network. There may also be the opportunity to discuss any concerns you have with the Councilors as they enter the building.
The Council meeting itself starts at 6.15pm. Part of the meeting will include taking questions from members of the public. Please attend this meeting if you can!"
Great reception from Branch T.S. WE will be there thumbsup
Be nice if you protest that hekp is needed for poeple to get back to work.That i would join a march.Question is how many have been unemployed?who still dont work?
will keep posted on this
Originally Posted by snowhite
Be nice if you protest that hekp is needed for poeple to get back to work.That i would join a march.Question is how many have been unemployed?who still dont work?
will keep posted on this
I have tried my best to decipher this post but i cannot. If you disagree that that library services are due to be cut to the bone then come along 5pm tomorrow at Wallasey Town Hall- bring all your friends too.

I don't think you know your arse from your elbow. You and your great mates have been coming along (in theory) to demos, for over two years now- not spotted a single one of you.EVER.
Originally Posted by snowhite
will keep posted on this

Haven't a clue what you're talking about here, Helen. Don't speak Double Dutch. Still, you're very welcome to come down to Wallasey Town Hall tonight and help defend local services and jobs.

Up to 967 signatures now. If everyone who reads this could sign the above petition, that would be great, thanks. It takes less than a minute.

We call upon the Leader and the Chief Executive of Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council to maintain a viable library service, staffed by suitably qualified employees for all the people of the Wirral.

Why is this important?

Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council is attempting to save money by drastically cutting the staffing levels of its library service to the point where we question whether it is in danger of breaching its obligations under the Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964.
It is proposing to reduce the opening hours of libraries at a time when it is also requiring Wirral residents to communicate with the authority digitally via the internet.
Residents who cannot afford broadband must rely on computers in their local libraries. The people who are trained to help them are the very librarians whose jobs are under threat.
These proposed cuts will disproportionally affect the poorer people of the borough and also young people who use libraries for research and as a safe,supportive and quiet place for completing.homework and projects.
At a time when the NHS is flagging up that the underlying cause of many illnesses is isolation and loneliness, our Local Authority is planning to restrict access to a valuable service which provides community cohesion and support to thousands of the most vulnerable people in our borough.

Has everyone missed this petition? I know I did ,until this morning. Sign, sign sign,.........come on chaps, could be your grandchildren who will need them one day. It all starts on a sliding scale, don't let it start.
Look up and you can find it to sign. yipee yipee yipee
993 signatures now. Better, but still only a fraction of the Wirral population.
Grrrrr....I wrote an update before re. Direct actions that we could all take re. the decimation of Wirral Public Libraries- disappeared just as i was proof reading it.....Had hyperlinks and everything!!!!

Not one to be beaten- here's an abbreviated version, for now smile Update from Wirral SOS Meeting tonight:

Tell 'them' what you think about the Library Services being decimated!!!! Branch libraries to be open just 18 hours per week from March 2015 with the potential of being dropped again once service-users numbers drop- as with just 10am-2pm accessibility , typically two times per weekday EXCLUDES all our school aged children who would usually attend after 3pm. Inevitably, service users will drop offering our Elected Representatives justification to reduce further.

FIGHT BACK!!!! http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-services/advice-and-benefits/contact-council/comments-and-complaints
ng!!!!

Branch libraries to be open just 18 hours per week from March 2015 with the potential of being dropped again once service-users numbers drop- as with just 10am-2pm accessibility , typically two times per weekday EXCLUDES all our school aged children who would usually attend after 3pm. Inevitably, service users will drop offering our Elected Representatives justification to reduce further.

You've made a very good point there - some clever tinkering with the hours by the council + what will happen to the staff reduce the hours -reduced income -look for a new job result no more qualified librarians if things do get better.
Just look at the building trade now a shortage of bricklayers, joiners etc (according to tv news)
I've worked in various libraries in Wirral logging folks on to the computers (and monitoring they were on appropriate sites) and have noticed a lot of kids usually came just after school finishes. The hours they've quoted were the best times for paid for courses (usually for silver surfers)run by WMC (I don't know if it made any money for the libraries)

Changes to library opening hours

I am writing to you as a valued customer of Wirral’s library services.

Wirral is proud to be one of the only Councils in the North West not to have closed a single library. Our 24 library sites provide a valued, varied and vital service to communities throughout the borough which the Council Leader has been, and remains, determined to protect.

However, the sheer scale of the financial challenges the Council is facing mean that no service can remain unchanged. We must make huge savings across the Council in order to deliver a balanced, legal budget.

The original savings proposal put forward was to reduce opening hours across the 15 community library sites to 10 hours per week. After considering the consultation feedback Members took the decision to reject this option and replace it with one that only saw the opening hours reduce to 18 hours per week. The opening hours at our 9 central libraries and those with One Stop Shop facilities included remain unchanged.

I absolutely understand and appreciate the vital role libraries play in every community. However, we are under huge pressure to make savings across all Council services due to the unprecedented funding reductions we face.

The proposal for how the 18-hours per week opening would work is contained within the ‘case for change’ document you can download from this e-mail.

We are now seeking the views of Library users on this opening schedule. If you have any suggestions, or believe the 18-hours per week opening model should be delivered in a different way, then please let us know.

We are required to begin the 18-hour per week opening schedule as from Monday, 2nd March 2015 to ensure the full savings can be implemented from April 1st 2015. In order for us to fully consider the views of library users please let us have your comments before 5pm on Friday, February 13th 2015.

Email us at [email protected] with your views, or write to Libraries Consultation, Wallasey Town Hall, Brighton Street, Wallasey, CH44 8ED.

Thank you for your ongoing support for this vital community service.
Copy and Paste: Words by my friend and comrade, Leanne

Hi all. I just wanted to raise awareness of the move to cut library opening hours to just eighteen a week for some libraries on Wirral. This is in my view completely unacceptable. This will hit kids who have to use the facilities to do homework, it will affect job seekers who must use library computers to look for a certain number of jobs (or face benefit sanctions) and the suggestion by the council that people can just use public transport to get to a library that IS open is frankly insulting to those on low incomes and people with mobility difficulties. PLEASE JOIN THE FIGHTBACK. You can do this in a number of ways. 1) By writing to the council at [email protected] or by normal post to: Libraries Consultation, Wallasey Town Hall, Brighton Street, Wallasey, CH44 8ED and letting them know your views. 2) Join your local library and encourage your family and friends to do the same. Use it or lose it! 3) Join a friends of your local library group. Details can be found here: https://www.wirral.gov.uk/…/library-gro…/friends-user-groups 4) Share this post far and wide, please encourage other wirral residents to make their views known. You've only got until 13th February to make your voice heard! ‪#‎WirralLoveYourLibraries‬
If this goes ahead, they won't need libraries for after school hours.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...ur-school-days-and-shorter-holidays.html

This is an even worse idea than closing the libraries.
Scotland have talked about a shorter week of half an hour a day. Resulting in £17million savings a year for one council.
Undertook some direct action today- very simple, very effective.

Met library users with a piece of paper outlining current branch opening hours and the proposed ones. Shocking at just how many people are unaware of the proposals.

Once engaged, we handed them the email address to post responses to the library consultation.

I don't usually post about direct actions that I undertake but I have on this occasion in the hope that other Library Lovers replicate the idea in their own areas.
This will hit kids who have to use the facilities to do homework,

Do you have any figures on how many students are doing homework there? I know that many schools are now obliged to run breakfast and after school homework clubs and wonder if they've taken the "custom" as it were.
I will ask tomorrow and get back to you Gibbo
According to the 'computer woman' at Seacombe Library, an average of 5-10 children use the library computers om Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fridays between 3-5pm for homework purposes.

Figures were unavailable as to whether this refers to one child using a computer for two hours, or four of them having 30 minutes each.

The Council stopped asking Staff to keep accurate records once they made the decision to reduce opening hours. Funny, that....

There will be an FOI request submitted.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...rary-protestors-stage-occupation-8645261
I've just been reading a book I haven't looked at for years, it's called "Sidelights on Tranmere" by J.Allison, who used to be one of my teachers in the 50s, one chapter comparing Birkenhead and Tranmere was listing Birkenhead's achievements, one of which was a Free Public Library, open from 9 am to 9 pm. This was opened in 1856, Obviously the Council have never read it.
......and how remarkable that the new Chief Executive has had the salary for the position increased by £40,000 or £50,000 up to a possible £175,000, plus pension and other costs of 22%.

Can't be arsed anymore.. read it for yourself. They can't see what's on their own dinner plates, let alone read a bit of history about the area.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/wirral-council-chief-executive-job-8427188

As a matter of interest, has anyone had any literature through their letter boxes from any of your local councillors on what is happening in your area, since the last election? Not here.

As a matter of interest, has anyone had any literature through their letter boxes from any of your local councillors on what is happening in your area, since the last election? Not here.

Yes, hand- delivered by Adrian Jones himself. Brave man laugh
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-wirral-s-library-service

Petition was handed to Victoria Rainsford, Committee Officer at Wallasey Town Hall today at 12.00 noon.

It was found that the petition is approx 200 sigs. short as some people had signed and were not actually Wirral residents.

Can YOU help library campaigners find 200 additional signatures? smile
Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you once again for signing the petition to Save Wirral’s Library Service. We have now surpassed the target of 3,000 signatures and this entitles us to present the petition at a full Council Meeting and to speak for 5 minutes in its support.

We are on the Agenda for the Council Meeting on Monday 6th July at 6.15pm

YOUR HELP IS NEEDED ONE MORE TIME

Here’s what you can do:-

• Turn up at Wallasey Town Hall on Monday to support us. A limited number of supporters will be allowed into the public gallery to hear the presentation and discussion. A number of young people are planning to dress up as their favourite fiction character and create a carnival atmosphere outside the Town Hall.

• The address of the Town Hall is:- Brighton Street Wallasey Wirral CH44 8ED

• You will need to arrive Between 5.30pm – 5.45pm

• Many of you wrote movingly, on the campaign website, about the importance of our libraries in your lives and those of your children. Unfortunately I have not been able to present your comments with the petition. It would be great if you could e-mail a short personal comment to the Chief Executive and the Leader of the Council so that they can understand our depth of feeling before the meeting.

• The Chief Executive’s address is:- [email protected]

• The Council Leader’s address is:- [email protected]

• Please give your e-mail the title: - Save Wirral’s Library Service: Petition.

Remember to please be polite at all times

Thank you all once again for all your support.

Nothing in Oxton from our new Labour Councillor Paul Andrew Doughty.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral