Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Elected Mayor of Liverpool - 8th Jul 2010 4:01pm
There was an intersting motion passed by Wirral Council recently which highlighted some problems for Wirral if an Elected Mayor of Liverpool came into being.
(1) This Council condemns the Conservative Party plans to impose an elected Mayor on the city of Liverpool if they win the next general election.

(2) Council further condemns the fact that the Mayor, who will be elected only by the people of Liverpool, will be given executive responsibility for travel across Merseyside, and potentially for other matters affecting Wirral, which means that the people of Wirral will have no say in matters that directly affect them.

(3) Wirral is an equal partner in City Region Governance. This would be undermined if the Mayor of Liverpool has executive powers as indicated.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Elected Mayor of Liverpool - 8th Jul 2010 7:59pm
We will be governed as a region soon, just watch.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Elected Mayor of Liverpool - 9th Jul 2010 6:29am
So will we go BACK to Liverpool post codes I wonder?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Elected Mayor of Liverpool - 9th Jul 2010 11:44am
Catch 22 on this one, if Wirral kicks up a fuss then we will probably be amalgamted with Liverpool so that we can vote for "our"[???] Mayor, if we keep quiet then we effectively get a Mayor imposed on us without a say.

Wirral should either be amalgamated with Cheshire again or be independent.

Cheshire impresses me, you look at what they achieve - loads of proper cycle paths (not just a 6ft bit of paint slapped on a pavement here and there), the police seem much more efficient, they don't have a landfill problem, roads seem better maintained, good libraries, street lighting that works etc. Their population density is much less than ours but they don't appear to be strapped for cash.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Elected Mayor of Liverpool - 9th Jul 2010 12:00pm
Funnily enough DD, as much as you hate the Tories, Cheshire is predominantly Convservative, both at council and parliament level. So if cheshire is the place to be...

wink
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Elected Mayor of Liverpool - 9th Jul 2010 12:04pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Funnily enough DD, as much as you hate the Tories, Cheshire is predominantly Convservative, both at council and parliament level. So if cheshire is the place to be...

wink
I thought someone would spot that blush
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Elected Mayor of Liverpool - 9th Jul 2010 12:05pm
I bet you had an idea it would be my pedantic self as well haha tease
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Elected Mayor of Liverpool - 9th Jul 2010 3:10pm
Matt for Mayor! clap
© Wirral-Wikiwirral