Forums
Posted By: Davefabo Speed limit change on Barnston Road. - 11th Jan 2016 4:09pm
At the moment the speed limit on Barnston Road between the mini roundabout with Pensby Road and Holmwood Drive is 40 Mph.
Today I saw line painters on Barnston Road putting 30 mph markings on the road surface.
Either theyve made a mistake of there will soon be a change to 30 mph on this stretch of road.
Posted By: granny Re: Speed limit change on Barnston Road. - 11th Jan 2016 6:18pm
Yes, it is changing to 30mph. Can't understand why, but some 'jobs worth' thought it might get him noticed. Ridiculous idea !

Barnston Road will now be 30mph, 40mph,30mph,40mph,30mph. Confusing or what ? Likely to be more accidents, I would have thought.

Locally, no one seems to be in favour of it but little point in raising any objections.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Speed limit change on Barnston Road. - 11th Jan 2016 6:24pm
Crazy, it won't have any effect on the 70mph gang.

Followed a lorry through the dip the other day that wasn't supposed to be there!
Posted By: granny Re: Speed limit change on Barnston Road. - 11th Jan 2016 6:33pm
The dip at Fox and Hounds is so narrow, they can't even paint double yellow lines.

It's to be hoped they get the street lighting sorted out where the changes are taking place.

Parliament uk

There is a requirement of adequate lighting for roads whose speed limit is 30 mph--that is one of the definitions--

Posted By: pacef8 Re: Speed limit change on Barnston Road. - 11th Jan 2016 8:58pm
If it bothers you all so much (throttle jockies) stay at 30mhr and live for 8 seconds longer. Plus i doubt anyone will do 30 mhr through barnston dip any time of the day.

Not only car drivers use that road you know.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Speed limit change on Barnston Road. - 11th Jan 2016 9:05pm
Its been 30 mph through the dip for years.
Posted By: oldpm01 Re: Speed limit change on Barnston Road. - 11th Jan 2016 9:55pm
a speed limit is maximum limit - and speed should be adjusted depending on road conditions etc. So the sensible will still drive at less than 30 through the windy narrow stretch, and the speeders will still speed putting others at risk....
Posted By: granny Re: Speed limit change on Barnston Road. - 11th Jan 2016 10:14pm
Originally Posted by pacef8
If it bothers you all so much (throttle jockies) stay at 30mhr and live for 8 seconds longer. Plus i doubt anyone will do 30 mhr through barnston dip any time of the day.

Not only car drivers use that road you know.

Not sure what you mean really. Barnston Dip is 30 mph and not suitable for large vehicles, and most do 30mph or slower. Barnston road is not necessary to be reduced to 30mph in the area that is being changed. We are not throttle jockies, we abide by the rules, as nearly everyone else does on that road....but you try and cross with traffic flowing at 30 mph at certain times of day, which will cause a major problem for the elderly and children who have to cross to the bus stops. It will be almost impossible with the constant stream of traffic from Thingwall roundabout which is backlogged from the traffic lights at Arrowe Park and various lights along the same stretch of road.
It will succeed in encouraging those who wish to speed, to overtake and put more lives at risk. (as said by the previous contributor .
Posted By: granny Re: Speed limit change on Barnston Road. - 22nd Jan 2016 10:17pm
Eleven days have passed since the bold 30 mph was painted on Barnston Road, just after Thingwall Corner. That didn't take long, and noticeably it doesn't seem to show up when it rain's and I think that is due to the reflection from the street light on the wet road. That's the first point.

Secondly, the round signs attached to posts on the same stretch of road, and going towards Heswall, say 40mph.

Thirdly, go down Sparks Lane from Pensby Road, and as you come to join Barnston Road, it's warning that the speed limit is 40mph.

What would you think is the correct speed limit, because I'm blowed if I now ?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Speed limit change on Barnston Road. - 22nd Jan 2016 11:21pm
The signs on the lamp posts are the valid ones, but a full size one on its own pole at the start of the restriction is necessary. The markings on the road carry no force at all, but they may be used as reminders.
Posted By: granny Re: Speed limit change on Barnston Road. - 23rd Jan 2016 11:29am
Thanks Chris, very interesting. Maybe they will eventually change the signage because they did say that the speed was to be reduced to 30mph.
In the meantime ...we carry on as normal.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral